Halal versus Kosher food - who knew it was so complex?

by james_woods 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods
    "I can't use my kitchen at all," she said

I did not understand this aspect either - apparantly the kitchen itself can be "unclean" according to orthodox view - not just the food.

OK, so did my original list (from the other website) have it wrong on gelatin? That guy thought it was OK for jews even from non-Kosher animals -

BTW - somebody else on P&R on Ferrari posted that not all wines are Kosher; Kosher ones are marked as such. He intimated but did not directly say that non-wine alcoholic drinks were not Kosher.

It made me wonder if some of this kind of nonsense was going on back in Jesus day - (pharisiacal law-makers)...

Of course, I should say that I have never seen the orthodox Jews try to force this stuff on non-Jews. No comment on the Halal Muslims in that regard.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    It made me wonder if some of this kind of nonsense was going on back in Jesus day - (pharisiacal law-makers)...

Yes, it was going on in Jesus day, or at least a lot of it was. It is still going on to this day. The Jews are notorious for arguing (we are encouraged to discuss scripture and what it means) and that, of course, leads to different sects (whenever you have 2 Jews together, you are bound to have at least 3 opinions).

Jesus, btw, was a pharisee.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Very interesting, Robdar - I am going to put up some of your information on the Ferrari thread about this subject.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Kitchens are problematic. Special burners were set aside as were refrigerator shelves. I believe contact with nonkosher food could contaminate it. There were also problems on Sabbath. The yeshiva girls would not use the electrical switches or use the phone. Therefore, they would wake a Christian student, me, to turn on the switch for them at 2 am in the morning. I could relay messages on the telephone. It drove me crazy but I also respected it.

Super orthodox had almost no contact with Christians. The school was a private, WASPy one. Yeshiva University was available. Columbia Law School evidently held mandatory classes on the Sabbath so these students would go elsewhere. My belief was why be exposed to a school with other religions present if you want to hold yourself out away from everyone.

The people most agitated by all the Orthodox rules were not Christians but secular Jews.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit