Ireland: judge orders baby to be given blood after dramatic court hearing

by behemot 22 Replies latest watchtower medical

• behemot
    behemot

A judge ordered the baby son of a Jehovah Witness couple to be given a life-saving blood transfusion after a dramatic court hearing in his home in the early hours of the morning.

Judge Gerard Hogan said barristers for Temple Street Children's Hospital arrived at his house at 1am on December 27 and argued the desperately ill three-month-old boy needed urgent treatment.

Neither the infant nor his parents were identified in the High Court judgment, which was published today.

Judge Hogan ruled that while parents have the constitutional right to raise their children to their own religious and philosophical views, the State has a vital interest in ensuring children are protected.

"But there is absolutely no doubt but that the court can intervene in a case such as this where the child's life, general welfare and other vital interests are at stake," he added.

Judge Hogan heard that when the baby boy was born in September 2010 he had been a twin, with a sister who did not survive.

On Christmas Day the infant was suffering from acute bronchiolitis when his condition deteriorated. At one point he stopped breathing and had to be resuscitated.

He was transferred to Temple Street the following day where his condition became critical. His liver was distended and by that evening his haemoglobin level plummeted to the point where a transfusion was necessary.

The judge said while the boy's parents were clearly anxious for his welfare and had allowed the use of blood products earlier that day, as committed Jehovah Witnesses they were steadfast in their opposition to this procedure.

The hospital made contact with the court's duty register at 10pm that night and the High Court hearing was swiftly arranged.

Consultant Dr Kevin Carson, clinical director of intensive care, argued the youngster's life was in danger and there were no medical alternatives to a transfusion.

The parents were not legally represented at the judge's house, but were aware of the issues as the court had previously sanctioned a blood transfusion for another child of theirs.

Judge Hogan continued: "There is no doubt as to the sincerity of the religious beliefs of the parents.

"They struck me as wholesome and upright parents who were most anxious for the welfare of their child, yet steadfast in their own religious beliefs. An abhorrence of the administration of a blood transfusion is integral to those beliefs."

Judge Hogan said on conclusion of the hearing at 2.30am, he indicated he would grant the orders sought but would deliver his reasons in open court.

"Given the time constraints, the time of year and the fact that the application had to be heard in the early hours of the morning, I concluded that the most practicable venue for the hearing was in my own private residence," he added.

"In passing, I should also add that a further consideration in that regard was that heavy snowfalls had blanketed the Dublin region, making travel at that time very difficult."

source: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dramatic-court-hearing-held-in-judges-home-during-early-hours-2494657.html

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Considering that there is only about a one in three chance that the kid will be a member of the cult as an adult, I think the Judge should be able to sleep well tonight.

• wobble
    wobble

yet another life that has had to be saved by legal intervention.

all this would be so unnecessary if JW's would only take an open minded look a their blood doctrine that is a total nonsense.

JW facts has an excellent article on it which any normal person reading, without Cult spectacles on, would see is both correct and honest.

How can we get these people to stop murdering their children just because some hard-hearted cold Cult leaders listen only to their legal advisors on how to reverse out of the doctrine, slowly over the years, to avoid costly litigation ? WTB$ should be its trademark.

It is a disgusting situation.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES, JEHOVAH GOD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO MURDER YOUR CHILDREN ! that was Molech.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I wonder was there a hospital liason committee over there?

I ask this because here in the states I have (in the past) spoken with brothers who were on the HLC and they told me that when it comes to children they have orders from the society to give way to doctors when it involves children. Even back than I believed this to be a legal matter for them to give way rather than a matter of belief.

But with the posted situation I have to wonder is there a different mandate for other countries?

• dozy
    dozy

" The parents were not legally represented at the judge's house, but were aware of the issues as the court had previously sanctioned a blood transfusion for another child of theirs. "

Odd case - you would have thought that having one child who required a blood transfusion would have made them a bit more responsible (or perhaps it was the dead twin). Wild speculation here but there does seem a lot of similarities with this case in 2008 - maybe the same parents...........?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7365724.stm

According to the latest WTBTS directive discussed at the KM school , JW parents are to do everything to avoid giving their children blood transfusions and even after a court order is given are still supposed to insist that the doctors don't administer blood. The babies parents in this case seem a bit more resigned to the situation , not even bothering to go to the judges house or send a representative from the HLC.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

More and more courts are ruling to grant blood transfusions to minors. I wonder how long it will be before courts just make it a law that parents cannot decline life saving medical treatment to minors based on religous grounds?

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Don't you think the parents were overjoyed at the judges ruling? Of course they couldn't show it but my god, they already lost one of their children and now they almost lost the other child over this stupid Watchtower blood interpretation. They had to be happy about the judges decision because now they can claim their faithfulness to the Watchtower Bible and Tract society. They will probably be featured on an upcoming assembly as loving faithful servants of Jehoover.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Three cheers for the Judge , who seems to be remarkably polite and kind about the parents whose action made him lose a night's sleep and hold the hearing in his own home in the wee hours of the morning.

The whole thing is a bit of a farce. He said that they had already consented to the use of (presumably) allowed blood fractions and I agree that they were no doubt delighted that the order was granted. It is just a procedure to salve the couples conscience and preserve their standing in the congregation.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    The whole thing is a bit of a farce. He said that they had already consented to the use of (presumably) allowed blood fractions and I agree that they were no doubt delighted that the order was granted. It is just a procedure to salve the couples conscience and preserve their standing in the congregation.

That is farcical - but at least the kid got treatment.

Let's all hope that he survives.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Yippie!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit