What is the WTS take on Speaking in Tongues?

by Lion Cask 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask
    but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Ok. I guess this Holy Spirit dude must be pretty scary then, huh? Sort of like Bad Bad Leroy Brown?

All superstition, in my estimation.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't know the current scientic thought surrounding this practice. My impression was that it involved more than speaking different languages. There were probably Jews from all over the world at the first Pentecost.

What interest me is Paul's injunction to speak in tongues? There must have been some controversy in the local churches for him to discuss them in the gifts of the spirit and later to admonish people to speak in tongues. Roman Palestine must have been culturally diverse. There is no way to know but Paul endorses the practice. So the bunch in Brooklyn know more than the man who put Christianity on the map. Weird.

Once you think for yourself, they can't grab you anymore. Do they believe they have super evolved brains to filter these unanswerable questions. I expect the biggest threat to Witness expansion is the Spanish pentecostal churches. The doctrines are similar as is the culture. Some day the Society will say it doesn't know something for certain.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Here's a couple more.

Romans 8:26-27 (New International Version, ©2010)

26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

Ephesians 6:18 (New International Version, ©2010)

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

Blessing in the Spirit of Christ,

Stephen

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't think we need every half verse in which the Holy Spirit is mentioned in the scriptures. Aren't the gifts listed in one of the Corinithians? They used to say the powers faded away. I'd like to know the precise date the Holy Spirit no longer manifested itself as Paul writes that it does exist. I remember hearing we no longer live in the age of miracles. Their God sounds very puny to me.

• designs
    designs

Notice the emotional and psychological Threats like some childrens scary bedtime story, lovely Christianity, 'love me or else',makes you want to join, Not.....

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

"Speaking in tongues" was most probably translated from an ancient word that meant being bilingual or multilingual. I imagine some people wandered outside of their home territory and learned new languages in other areas.

This baby talk bullshit is just some more of the ear tickling lies being brought to you by those who make a good living and tidy fortune off of misrepresenting spiritual matters.

There is no demon embodied in these people except the demon of deceit. What they do is done consciously and in their own mind. They do this to appear "more spiritual" than others and just like JWs, they think this performance shows everyone else that they are "closer to god than you are". Some religions require that one has to speak in tongues as "Proof" that they have been accepted by god and have salvation. It is called "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" and yes, it is a blasphemy.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Abikuna slakegiba hunti shooka ali babi nok tum bok choy.

Sorry don't know what came over me.

I think what I said is

speaking in tongues is bull droppings.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Colomo roboki hawa bululau. = I never inspired you to speak in tongues.

God

• Chalam
    Chalam

Band on the Run I'd like to know the precise date the Holy Spirit no longer manifested itself as Paul writes that it does exist.

1 Corinthians 13:1 (English Standard Version)

1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Corinthians 13:8-12 (English Standard Version)

8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

Matthew 5:8 (English Standard Version)

8 "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

Revelation 22:1-4 (English Standard Version)

1 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. 3 No longer will there be anything accursed, but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him. 4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads.

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

• cofty
    cofty

It is totally fake. When I was an evengelical I learned how to do it on the Alpha course. Just start making a noise, disengage your conscious control of your tounge and go for it. That's the difficult bit - letting yourself go. Its not easy at first, it feels very strange which is why it works best in the company of others who will reinforce your hope that something supernatural is going on. It is not unique to christianity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit