What is the WTS take on Speaking in Tongues?

by Lion Cask 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

This is a fairly worldly view, for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3be9wCAwIM

• jay88
    jay88

It is the opposite of the story of 'the tower of babel'.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

JWs feel that those who speak in tongues nowadays are being possessed by deemunz.

Official Borg doctrine is that it is either insanity, some sort of suggestive hypnosis performed by charismatic preachers, or demons.

From the 8/15/1992 Watchtower:

The

ForceBehindUnknownTongues

Today

Some believe that the driving force behind today’s tongue-speakers is charismatic church leaders who prompt members of their flock to acquire this ability. In some cases it is brought on by emotionalism and imbalance. Cyril G. Williams, in TonguesoftheSpirit, says it has become “in many instances a badge of elitism within the group” and gives a person “stature and authority in the sight of the group and also in their own eyes.” The motivation, therefore, could be a desire to belong to the superior unknown-tongue group.

Then Loyola University president Donald P. Merrifield noted that “tongues could be a hysterical experience, or, according to some, a diabolical one.” Clergyman Todd H. Fast said: “Tongues is controversial. The devil has many ways of working at us.” The Bible itself warns that Satan and his demons are able to influence people and control their speech. (Acts 16:17, 18) Jesus acted against a demonic spirit that had moved a man to shout and fall to the floor. (Luke 4:33-35) Paul warned that ‘Satan would transform himself into an angel of light.’ (2 Corinthians 11:14) Those today who seek the gift of tongues that God no longer bestows on his people are really opening themselves to deception by Satan, who, we are warned, would use “every powerful work and lying signs and portents.”—2 Thessalonians 2:9, 10.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

DEMONS! DEMONS! DEMONS! In my day at least. Paul's acknowledges they are a fruit of the spirit but not very useful. He expressly states they are not demonic. If I recall, correctly, speaking in tongues was only valid for the apostolic generation then God decided he would issue an edict that one could not speak in tongues. How people still do so is a matter for physicists since God has barred it.

There was a pentecostal church in my neighborhood, overly popular iwth hs friends. I was so terrifieid when it started happening during a service I attended. My, I prayed with all my heart to be forgiven so demons would not jump on me. I ran out of the church. A friend was insulted. The pastor's son was considered a catch, even in the days of Paul McCartney, a local catch. Girls flocked to the church.

I can't take it to this day. My fear of demons was securely planted by the Society. I feared demons more than Armageddon. They said if you were faithful, the demons would trip you on the sidewalk in service walk. Being unfaithful meant the demons would think they were welcome in your body. I was a young teen belieivng all of us this stuff. I had some doubts when the WT or Awake reported a demon materialzing in some woman's bed/ The overt sexuality scare was too much for my intellect.

It is so laughable today. If I tell friends how I would not sleep, searching my bedroom for demons (and my sister, too, I later found out), it is ha, ha. The reality is I was terrorized. IMO, God's creation is good. There are such awe-inspring events to ponder, such as creation, love, grace, the social gospel. Focus on this fringe, a fringe that has obvious sexual connotations, is bizarre. The laugh about the Catholics with relics and visions but they are worse IMO.

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

Demons. Ok. I was just kind of thinking "really, really bad acting", but I could be wrong.

• pirata
    pirata

JWs believe that "speaking in tongues" in the 1st C means speaking in foreign languages in order to preach to ones who speak those foreign languages (which makes sense to me after reading the account of the Holy Spirit being poured out at 33CE).

Otherwise, JWs assume that "speaking in tongues", making sounds that no one can understand means you may be under demon influence.

• villabolo
    villabolo

My understanding is that the WTS is against oral sex.

Villabolo

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Speaking in tongues as portrayed above is just bullshit.

During the biblical mention of it at Pentecost, it was probably referring to some foreigners in the midst, perhaps traveling through. I am sure there was once a logical explanation for it until the wierdo religionists got a hold of it and gave it a new meaning out of a lack of understanding and knowledge of what really transpired.

The WT speaks with a forked tongue. I wonder if that counts as "different tongues"?

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

As far as the JWs are concerned, anybody "talking in tongues" is definitely "demonized."

All the Witnesses that I knew were so afraid of tongue talkers, that it would have to be the quickest, surest way of scaring them away permanently

(As in having your house "marked off the territory.")

- i.e.

(i) Tell them that you regularly talk in tongues.

(ii) Have them believe that you are about to hold a tongue-talking session.

(iii) Invite them in to participate.

Bill.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Strange how Paul would write this?

1 Corinthians 14:5 (New International Version, ©2010)

5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues

Or this?

1 Corinthians 14:18 (New International Version, ©2010)

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.

Or this?!

1 Corinthians 14:39 (New International Version, ©2010)

39 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

To the WT I say this

Acts 2:4 (New International Version, ©2010)

4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

Matthew 12:30-32 (New International Version, ©2010)

30 “Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. 31 And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit