Gilead school was built as an Armagedon bombshelter for Bethelites!

by Witness 007 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Scott77,

I do not know of written material that documents Rutherford arming Bethelites on the farm with firearms. But old-timers recall it. But we do have this history that fills the void:

In the United States, during the late 1930s and into the 1940s there was tremendous persecution directed toward Jehovah’s Witnesses over issues of national allegiance and patriotism, and most particularly involving refusals to pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States.

Regarding the use of firearms to protect Watchtower related property,

June 25, 1939:

Rutherford personally experienced a small piece of persecution—compared to what other Witnesses were enduring—when opposers attempted to interrupt his lecture themed “Government and Peace” at the Madison Square Garden convention. An incident occurred as a result where Rutherford’s personal secretary, William Heath was arrested and tried for assault. Hayden Covington testified at this trial with a result he was not convicted.

July 31, 1939:

Watchtower’s in-house counsel, Olin Moyle gave notice he was leaving Bethel effective September 1, 1939. He included events related to the Madison Square Garden incident in his reason for leaving. Many years later attorney Hayden Covington expressed in regard to the Madison Square Garden incident that the then staff lawyer for Watchtower, Olin Moyle did not believe in self-defense and is why he quit as Watchtower’s general counsel. Olin Moyle’s depiction is that the ushers did, on that occasion, do an excellent piece of work. The presentation of this incident by Covington and Moyle suggests Rutherford wanted stiffer “defense” than Moyle was ready to approve of. According to court documents Rutherford encouraged Bethelites not to be “sissies” or “unmanly” when it came to defending their persons, or defending property they are responsible for.

September 15, 1939:

By way of a Watchtower article Rutherford instructs Witnesses it “is the right of every man to ward off an attack and to use such force as to him appears to be necessary to safeguard himself from personal injury or injury to his property. The same right of self-defense may be exercised by him for the protection of his near relations or close friends, his brethren.” The part of this statement expressing “such force as to him appears” necessary to safeguard “property” was to taken seriously by Witnesses, who began arming themselves with firearms to protect buildings, such as Kingdom Halls etc.

June 10, 1940:

Edwin Bobb was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill. He was congregation servant for the Kennebunk, Maine congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Bobb issued weapons to other local Witnesses and turned the Kingdom Hall into a firing platform anticipating trouble from rioters. Some men showed up in a car and before it was over two men were wounded, one seriously. Police confiscated 5 rifles and 2 shotguns from the Kingdom Hall. Bobb was later convicted of the charges against him. Attorneys Hayden Covington and Charles Smith were counsel for Bobb. I am unsure what sentence was levied on Bobb for his conviction, but from 1948 until 1956 he worked at Bethel or on special foreign assignment for Watchtower.

June 14, 1940 (Flag day):

A mob came to Kingdom Farm reportedly to destroy it. Bethelites were forewarned with a result of asking for protection from local law-enforcement authorities, which was provided. The secular authorities were on the perimeter, and the Bethelites were inside Watchtower’s compound. Police were armed and so were Bethelites.

During 1940:

The building that came to be known as Gilead was built. More than a few Witnesses over the years have wondered why it was built like a fortress. These were/are unaware of why had it constructed as it was constructed. Rutherford had it constructed as a place of emergency refuge if and when Bethel’s leadership or its property was physically threatened. The faceting of this building is superb for purposes of using such force as necessary.

Marvin Shilmer

• belbab
    belbab

I believe at the Madison Square Gardens incident, all the ushers were provided stout walking canes to be used as a defense. I believe there is a photo somewhere showing, Rutherford and maybe also Knorr carrying those sticks.

• blondie
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Blondie,

Boy does that photo recall memories.

Most folks these days have no idea the sort of canes Rutherford had issued to ushers at conventions he spoke at. In pictures they look like basic wooden walking canes a person would find in nearly any retail store. But those canes were not of that sort.

Today if you wanted to understand what those men were issued you’d have to buy what is known as a livestock cane. These things are a heavy duty tool. If you hit someone in the head with one hard enough to break the cane you’d likely have killed the poor victim.

I fully agree with self-defense of my person, family, friends and property. But I would never dream of exerting lethal force to protect property, and Rutherford had no problem with doing just that, which turned out to be the final straw that broke Moyle from working for Rutherford as Watchtower’s general counsel.

Marvin Shilmer

• Scott77
    Scott77

Very excellent reference. Thank you Marvin Shilmer as well as blonde for the photot. I am wondering, OMG! This is the organisation that claim to have God's holy spirit or its a Spirit directed organisation as it claim to be. Now, it discourages its adherants from joining armis all over the country yet itself, its rooted in history of arming its followers ostensibly to protect itself. What a warped and twisted thinking its!.

Scott77

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

blondie > I don't believe it until I see it - I do not see a picture at all. Pls provide or reference to it if you can. Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit