Only the Governing Body is the FDS

by Listener 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

elderlite-

For some strange reason Jesus can't seem to drive a Baptist School Bus worth beans much less lead 7 million JWs.

Very strange...

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

There's days I ponder what it would take for the average JW to see that the F&DS was simply a parabel and nothing more. There's times I get a headache trying to force myself to comform and simply accept this doctrine, but its impossible to accept. There's no concrete evidence to support the F&DS as being anything more than an illustration.

• designs
    designs

misery-

The problems start with the NT itself. Very few Denominations are willing to acknowledge the bi-polar nature of the two Christian Churches that are developing right before their eyes in the NT. If they can't or won't see that central problem don't expect anything other than hubris and excuses.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The fact that the power-hungry a-hole side of Christianity seems to have won the power struggle doesn't help, either, designs.

As for the F&DS scripture, it is significant that they ignore the part of the "prophecy" about the evil slave beating its fellow slaves. It throws a huge monkey wrench into their entire F&DS theology, so they conveniently ignore it.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

misery-

The problems start with the NT itself. Very few Denominations are willing to acknowledge the bi-polar nature of the two Christian Churches that are developing right before their eyes in the NT. If they can't or won't see that central problem don't expect anything other than hubris and excuses.

Sighhh, you're right, I just have a hard time accepting that its a lost cause. It drives me absolutely bonkers that a person can't see the F&DS was simply a parabel, and the Other Sheep were the Gentiles. For the life of me, I just cannot fathom why a major schizm hasn't developed over these two simple illustrations. Its so simple that there's nothing to discuss about it, nothing to debate, it is what it is!!! Argghgh!!! I think to myself at times that, had I been familiar with the NT as a mature adult, and a couple JWs showed up at my door, and let just assume hypothetically speaking that I bit. Just assume that I bit long enough to entertain a bible study, and even attend meetings regularly. Eventually I'd be exposed to the F&DS doctrine, and I have a hard time believing that nobody in their right mind wouldn't question the lunacy of this doctrine. As a born-in during my teenage years I couldn't wrap my brain around this teaching. As an adult, I cannot wrap my head around it. The only difference now as an adult is when I try to accept this doctrine, my head starts to hurt. I know I'm not crazy, and I know there has to be other mature thinking Christians amongst the higher ups in this organization who have entertained themselves with the very question we're discussing.

• designs
    designs

misery-

Don't kick yourself to hard. The GB knows and refuses to do anything about it because its all about power. Why does someone run for the Senate and spend 40 years as a Senator- power baby.

You could paint it in Big RED Letters on the sidewalk in from 124 Columbia Heights and it wouldn't change a thing, hubris and excuses know no bounds.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

misery said, "I think to myself at times that, had I been familiar with the NT as a mature adult, and a couple JWs showed up at my door, and let just assume hypothetically speaking that I bit. Just assume that I bit long enough to entertain a bible study, and even attend meetings regularly. Eventually I'd be exposed to the F&DS doctrine, and I have a hard time believing that nobody in their right mind wouldn't question the lunacy of this doctrine. As a born-in during my teenage years I couldn't wrap my brain around this teaching. As an adult, I cannot wrap my head around it. The only difference now as an adult is when I try to accept this doctrine, my head starts to hurt. I know I'm not crazy, and I know there has to be other mature thinking Christians amongst the higher ups in this organization who have entertained themselves with the very question we're discussing."

So you fantasize about what it would be like if you weren't ever a JW and how you would view the, *ahem* unique, doctrines if they were presented to you now? Glad I'm not alone! I find this role play to be a good thought exercise to keep my mind sharp and not regress back to the indoctrination I've recieved my whole life.

One problem with long-timers/born-ins is that in everyday conversation, the FDS and Governing Body are often spoken of as one in the same. Add to that the idea that there is some sort of God-given magic that these men have. One big eye-opener for me was a talk by a GB member in which he candidly stated that the GB and the annointed are not necessarily granted any more Holy Spirit than the average publisher. There are WT articles that carry the same thought. I had heard this before but for some reason, I always ignored the implications of that comment, choosing instead to think that they must be getting a little extra power and direction. Turns out that it is another one of those old fashioned ideas that has lingered on in WT mythology.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It's one of those things (among MANY) that they like to have both ways.

On one hand, they appear to be humble and not claim any special authority or relationship with God for themselves. On the other, they disfellowship you if you ever question their special authority or relationship with God.

It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic and sad.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Even Dub family members will admit that if they were presented with the modern message, new to them, on the doorstep...they would not be moved to follow it . It is only the information, and experiences within over many decades, that keep them believing..

Re the Gov. Body and the FDS, The fact that they take decisions on behalf of the FDS does not make them "the slave" itself, even though the rest of the self confessed anointed have no role to play in running the Organization..

The WT's will rail against the "self appointed" leaders of Christendom, but if the dubs would only think about it...What evidence do they have that the FDS is really the FDS? Only their own statements and the individuals own judgement of their writings. So this is purely a human assessment of things . They trust in their own judgement above all else to identify "The Truth".....They are saying , "I have decided that these people are true and I cannot be wrong"

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

The answer to all of this is that ALL Christians are to be Faithful and Discreet (or a better translation: Wise). There is no "class". We are all entrusted with the Kingdom and are responsible for giving spiritual food from the Bible to each other. The point of a parable is to teach people a lesson. It is not to prophecy. But the GB don't know anything about hermeneutics.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit