Only the Governing Body is the FDS

by Listener 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Listener
    Listener

I hadn't noticed this before but the Governing Body is actually saying that they only are the Faithful & Discreet Slave.

Watchtower 2009 6/15 Para 18
    Similarly, today a limited number of anointed men have the responsibility of representing the slave class. They make up the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. These spirit-anointed men oversee the Kingdom work and the spiritual feeding program. As in the first century, though, the Governing Body does not consult with each individual member of the slave class before making decisions.

The first sentence above states - 'a limited number of anointed men have the responsibility of representing the slave class'....'the Governing Body'.

This can only mean that the rest (or majority of anointed) DO NOT represent the Faithful & Discreet Slave.

The definition of represent from the free dictionary includes

5. To describe or put forward (a person or thing) as an embodiment of a specified quality.
    a. To serve as the official and authorized delegate or agent for.
    b. To act as a spokesperson for.
    7. To serve as an example of: The museum had several paintings representing the artist's early style.
    8. To be the equivalent of.

The previous paragraph in the Watchtower gives their basis for making this claim.

To illustrate: The Scriptures at times speak of “the congregation” as taking certain action in handling judicial matters. (Matt. 18:17) In real terms, though, it is only the elders who take this action in their capacity as representatives of the congregation. The elders do not contact all members of the congregation to ask their various opinions before they make a decision. Theocratically, they perform the role that they have been assigned; they act on behalf of the whole congregation.

.Matt 18:17 says " If he does not listen to them, speak to the congregation. If he does not listen even to the congregation, let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector." The JWs must interpret this to mean that only the heads of the congregation would have been involved but don't actually say so. In the above quote they use the idea "In real terms" which is a bit obscure but could easily be viewed as - well they used the congregation back then but in reality today we would only use the elders of the congregation.

There is so little basis, if any at all, to support their position of the Governing Body over anyone.

Even if that parable of the FD & S was correctly interpreted as a prophecy it does not say there will be another class that will represent the FD & S .

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

In order to better understand this, we should make a political comparison. Let's say a group of men form the government of a nation and claim they are "the representatives of the people". The question is: how can the people control who is and who is not it's representatives? The answer is: through elections, in a democracy; and by no means in a totalitarian state. And since the leadership is not just one person, but a group, this form of totalitarian state is an "oligarchy". The people have no means of controlling the government and no power to change it. This is the GB: a group of men with absolute power; they govern as representatives of the F&D slave, but the slave class has absolutely no means to control them, neither to change them. A perfect oligarchy.

• Listener
    Listener

I'm starting to get it now. So the question is

Who appointed the Governing Body?

I've read it a few times on this forum but didn't appreciate the intricies of this question and why it was an important one to ask any JW. They (the governing body) can only answer that question by admitting that they have appointed themselves. The only claim they are able to make is that the FDS was appointed by Jesus and the the overseers/elders are appointed by the FDS.

There is no scripture that is able to support their own appointment.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Who appointed the Governing Body?

JW answer: Jehovah. Jesus selected them in 1919 and Jehovah has used HS to make them conscript their members/successors since then.

Once again, it is that selection in 1919 that is the support for their claim, so that is the doctrine they need to have to explain to you in great detail with full documentation.

• moshe
    moshe

Hell, they don't consult with any members of a ficticious slave class.

Similarly, today a limited number of anointed men have the responsibility of representing the slave class.

Legally, they never said the F&DS= GB, you can represent someone without being in the same group. JWs assume the GB members of the F&DS, but the WT, as far as I have seen, doesn't actually come out and say so. They let the JWs assume they are, without saying so in first person. You will never see one of the GB say, "I am one of the F&DS". Or see the WT attach the name of an individual person to that class.

• designs
    designs

What they mean is- Don't write Letters to us with your ideas and don't spread your ideas at the KH or else......

• sir82
    sir82
    You will never see one of the GB say, "I am one of the F&DS".

True. However the typical JW response would be "See? That just proves how humble they are!"

Ya just can't win.

• finallyfree!
    finallyfree!

i thought the fds class were the annointed. arent the gb members all "annointed"?? this cult is so f'ing mixed up in its doctrines i dont think anyone actually know what they mean when they speak.

• designs
    designs

At least with the Evangelicals they will get in your face and tell they are really really and truly truly BORN AGAIN. Sat through a tortuous Funeral Service for a good friend and the eulogists reminded us again and again that we wouldn't see our friend again unless we were BORN AGAIN.

Lovely people, makes me want to join- Not.

• elderelite
    elderelite

i echo a question Mosche asked a few weeks ago.... "what does God need with a FDS class"? Isn't Christ the head of the congregation.... cant God handle things without a group of men in brooklyn to administer things...?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit