Could ''boredom'' at the Kingdom Hall be one reason why some members leave?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gayle
    Gayle

"The idle brain is the Devil's workshop."

Well, it is the WTS's workshop also. Part of the reason, the WTS discourages any much education or pursuit of arts or any real, stimulating positive interests.

• Gayle
    Gayle

"The idle brain is the Devil's workshop."

Well, it is the WTS's workshop also. Part of the reason, the WTS discourages any much education or pursuit of arts or any real, stimulating positive interests.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Of course the only reason we all found it all soooo boring was because we hadn't PRE-STUDIED!!!

If only we had put a little effort into pre-studying for the meetings Jehovah would've opened up a table overflowing with an abundance of the tastiest spiritual food..................don't worry only kidding

• Girlie
    Girlie

Boredom was the true culprit behind my leaving. Though I did stumble upon some revealing facts about the religion, in the end, I too grew tired of the repetitive nature of the meetings. No noolite or any worthwhile light for that matter was there. Got so that you pretty much knew what was going to be discussed.

The only new thing probably was when Elder Dipsh*t did a local needs part in the form of indirectly airing dirty laundry of a R & F member.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

I was always bored out of my mind when there would be a ''review'' of the 3-4 day summer convention. After spending 4 days in the ''brain damaging heat'' in the middle of July with no shade,they would review the convention talks a couple of days later at the Ministry School. (Like I really needed to be reminded that the main speakers from Bethel would sit in an air conditioned box seat and were walked to the podium with an umbrella over their heads while everyone else suffered heat stroke).

• mamalove
    mamalove

Ugh, yes. I would let my mind wander quite a bit. Taking care of my kids as babies always helped make it go by faster. Loved those long breastfeedng sessions in the back.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I left because of the way they welshed on their promises to me, particularly that the opposite sex was not coming to me like they told me they would if I attended the boasting sessions. Rather than wait on Almighty Baghead Jehovah (and driving them all away, so I would be in a world with nothing but men, I simply quit going. Not doctrinal issues, not boredom.

Fact is, though, many do leave for boredom. Especially when they are wasting all their time listening to crap. Go to a boasting session and listen to 10 minutes (or longer) parts about getting the most out of them. Going in field circus, wasting all their time, when they can't even make a scratch in the amount of work left. These endless waste of paper distribution campaigns. Everything that is fun is banned. You might be able to keep 98 year olds in like that, but anyone that is less than 98 years old (or functioning at something less than 98 years old) is going to quickly realize that they are being held back by the religion.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

I agree that the highlights can be the best part of all of the meetings. Sometimes I hear a comment that actually took some thought to prepare, quotes from a secular source *gasp*, or goes way back into older WT literature to present an alternate viewpoint on the material - and I think, "Could that person be 'enlightened' beyond standard WT teachings?" Of course, I never ask. I just commend them for doing extra research and encourage them to keep digging deep so that they can continue to share what they find with their friends.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Are you an MS or elder, Franklin?

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

Recently appointed elder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit