Saw my JW father the other day

by Paralipomenon 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I'm still a bit torn on the issue of associating with my parents. They have made absolutely no effort to keep in touch and usually any contact results in a generic witness email reply.

I have been at the point that I really don't need or care for their influence in my life for a while but I keep flipping back and forth between cutting off all contact and being the bigger person and at least give them updates.

So, in light of their recent aniversary, I went to the store and tried to pick them out a card. I never really realized how difficult that is if you're looking for a card to actually mean what you say.

Unfortunately I didn't find a card that said "Sorry you two are trapped in a loveless marriage and I could really care less about your opinions" so I settled for the least bit sappy I could find.

I put the kid's school pictures in and while out running errands dropped it off. My dad answered the door and I said happy anniversary and gave him the card. He invited me to come in and I declined by saying I had a kid in the car. My father said that we could both come in which I declined. I pointed out that it has been four years and a sudden meeting would be confusing for the kid.

My father retorted that it's only been four years because of MY choice. I was a bit dumbfounded. I replied that we have called and invited them for dinner many times with no reply and he just repeated that it was my choice.

A bit annoyed I just pointed to the card, told him that there were pictures of the kids inside and that they are welcome to call us if they ever want to get together. I stressed that calling would he HIS choice. Wished them a happy anniversary and left.

What a pain. Sometimes being the 'bigger person' really sucks.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

What a pain. Sometimes being the 'bigger person' really sucks.

Yep, cuz any little thing you do gets twisted and you're left thinking "Why did I even try?"

I feel your pain.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

that sucks

• VIII
    VIII

"Sometimes being the 'bigger person' really sucks."

Yep.

It is really sad that they are missing out on their grand-childrens lives. Same thing happened on my side. No way that will ever be reclaimed.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

It is really sad that they are missing out on their grand-childrens lives. Same thing happened on my side. No way that will ever be reclaimed.

I think that's part of the reason I keep trying. My children are missing out on grandparents and if they ask me later on, I want to say that at least I tried.

The previous week my wife's uncle passed away and her parents didn't even bother calling to let her know. Warm Christian love, huh?

• Ding
    Ding

His comments don't make much sense given that he invited you in.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Sorry to hear you are going thru this...I'm sure they are wanting you to return so you and your family will be in the "NEW WORLD" together....sigh

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

My brother is a elder and as we don't go to the kingdum hell in over 2 years or the memorial he see's us as bad association! He has young kids as we do but we have not had any contact in over 2.5 years, How sad that this religion breaks families up and to add something else, MY dad is a MS and since the new directive to shun all family who are DF/ DA / or who are inactive we have not seen him since October last year!! What is it with family that they obey some geriatrics in crooklyn and cut family off just cuz they say you must. We are happy as a family and it's their loss

HHG

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

sorry about that! It is sick SICK that a religion (cult) keeps families apart! I remember so clearly being on the other side. When my dad got DF'ed I felt like he died. I went through all the stages of grief. I never shunned him, but our relationship did change. Now I'm on the other side and I forget why, why would I let a religion (cult) dictate how I treat someone I love? I just don't understand why my brother now has nothing to do with me? It's hard not to take it personal, then I remember - CULT! Maybe what you said will sink in. They somhow twist it - they all do! they think the ball is in our court.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

His comments don't make much sense given that he invited you in.

What I gather from my sister (faded fast and furious) is that they are willing to make an exception and tollerate us if we reach out to them, but can't reach out to us in return.

Essentially, if I call to invite them for supper or ask to come up, they'd say no, but if I show up or just call to chat, they'd be polite and they would be able to "tollerate" it. Truth be told, I think they wish I'd be more forward so they could "tollerate" more contact with the grandkids. It's a pity that they raised me with a spine or I'd settle for their conditional love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit