Aid to Bible Understanding

by Sharpie 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, I still have mine and was never asked to turn it over to be destoryed; never asked to do that in regard to any book.

I once saw a John Ankerberg show where he had on an ex-jw that said that the WTS had done that with the Way To Paradise book published in 1924. Now I was still a believing jw but could see some of their points, but that one made me stop and turn off the TV. I had seen that book in my grandparents library, my aunts, and my uncle's. I saw it in the library of the congregation I attended and I found it in the library at Bethel, not hidden away but easily found using the card catalog. I will say this, many newer congregations probably did not have a copy, but not due to destruction, just lack of copies by that time.

• blondie
    blondie

As soon as a new book on the topic comes out, the old one is relegated to the shelf to gather dust.

Babylon the Great book---Revelation Climax

Your Will be Done--Daniel Prophecy book

How many TMS books have come and gone, but still on the shelves

Truth, book, pe book, Knowledge book, etc.

• possible-san
    possible-san

I do not have that book, but my website always links to that PDF.

Well, it was hard to already get that book, when I became a Jehovah's Witness. (in Japan, before 1985)

possible

• itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat
    itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat

Sharpie you have a pm

"just have to ask....."

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

I still use the pages for the cat litter tray as soak up of the urine and then bin it.. LOL ONLY THING IT'S GOOD FOR NOW!! other than a door stop as this book was so thick

HHG

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I think its one of the better products of the WTS - as a student, I still find it useful.

• Alfred
    Alfred

Blues Brother...

Two years ago, an elder saw my Aid to Bible Understanding book while on a shepherding call and told me that it had been written by an apostate (I guess he was referring to Ray) which is why we the Insight books were printed in 1988...

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I seem to recall that Ray Franz wrote about the Aid book quite a lot, and related that there were about 5 writers of the Aid Book, which included Ed Dunlap and Ray himself. So 2 of the 5 writers ie; 40 percent of the book, was written by people who eventually left. The Insight books are nearly identical for the majority of subjects. I think the main reason they were produced was to edit out anything questionable (the chronology section was completely re-written, I recall)

I have been around this religion a long time, and there has never been a request or statement to the effect that any older books should be discarded or turned in. They have a way of getting thrown away on their own. Who would have ever guessed that the blue Truth book, which you used to see at every yard sale and in every book sale, would become a rarity - I can't even remember the last time I saw one.

Bottom line is that the WT literature is poorly written, poorly researched, unsatisfying both spiritually and intellectually, and is not the paper it is printed on.

• moshe
    moshe
    Two years ago, an elder saw my Aid to Bible Understanding book while on a shepherding call and told me that it had been written by an apostate (I guess he was referring to Ray) which is why we the Insight books were printed in 1988..

Well, Mr elder and just what, pray tell, was Jehovah doing while that apostate was busy writing that Aid book? Asleep, I guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit