Arizona Shooting

by free2beme 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Violia
    Violia

Sixty

seeing the face of that 9 yr old girl breaks my heart. This is just a horrible, horrible tragedy. The man was mentally ill, sixty. Mentally ill persons seem to either have goverment /political or religious dellusions. Anyone one who has worked with mental patients can tell you that.

Our political system is built on firey debate. People have strongly held positions. We settle them at the voting booth, not shoot outs.

If someone could have recognized his illness and got him in for a 72 hour hold to evaluate him, this may not have happened. This is a lone killer who was deranged and it is hard to stop this kind of violence.

V

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I don't think he is as deranged as people are saying, though he was showing signs of mental instability. He had the mental clarity to immediately invoke his 5th Amendment rights upon arrest. THAT will be used as evidence against him if he asserts an insanity plea.

Also, there is evidence that he had been in prior contact with the Congresswoman's office seeking to set-up a meeting. That will likely be used as evidence of pre-meditation.

Both of these argue against a simple desire for fame.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The man was mentally ill, sixty.

Yeah, that's what I said when I used the word "deranged", Violia. (he was also apparently quite functional, you'll note) Mentally disturbed people are especially susceptible to fiery propaganda - As you'll find this shooter was, because there will be evidence found of specific examples of the type of rhetoric and propaganda that he followed and was affected by. Many of the things that will come out that this character was so passionate about, you'll find being spoken about in similar terms by people on this very forum (perhaps toned down a notch or two, perhaps not) .

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Here's another video of what was described as one of his favorites .

Confirming his hatred of the Federal government and how it operates itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L1lsLU-kUw

• free2beme
    free2beme

That son of a bitch killed a little girl. Damn it! Justice is too slow. He should be executed already. This country is screwed, we let the insane live too long. Then we defend them to say ... "But they're crazy, they did not know better." Lock them up then!!! Take them out of society, so they can only hurt themselves and not people. Especially not children. Kill this man!!!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Since Arizona has the death penalty, eventually the time will come when he's really going to hate the government .

• Mary
    Mary
    SixofNine said: That's kind of an odd theory, Mary. You seem to think that political passion is less likely to motivate a killer than a simple desire to be famous?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Unless I'm really missing the mark on how much Americans let politics rule their lives. How exactly is shooting a 9 year old girl related to this idiots view on politics? While I'm sure in his warped mind politics played a part in his decision, my own take is that he did what other mass murderers before him have done: they've gone out and shot innocent people to get international fame.

I'm curious what you think was the motivation behind the anonymous sender of incendiary devices/bombs mailed to political figures in the last couple of weeks, or the violent threats that Gabrielle Giffords and other politicians have received in the recent past? Do you believe Timothy McVeigh and his co-conspirator just "wanted international fame"?

I think the same thing: these nutcases used the excuse of 'I hate the government' as justification for what they did. Part of it might have been their political views, but I also believe that they do it to gain attention. I agree with a comment Simon made though: it's far too easy for lunatics in the States to get access to a gun.

I know Americans are very passionate about their fame, but not too many people start shooting innocent people in a frigging mall because they feel frustrated at not getting a shot on Dancing with the stars

LOL......okay, that was good.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

my own take is that he did what other mass murderers before him have done: they've gone out and shot innocent people to get international fame.

Except that as far as anyone knows, that's not true; not in this case nor other mass murderers. You have a weird and frankly silly theory Mary, unsupported by any facts.

How exactly is shooting a 9 year old girl related to this idiots view on politics?

How exactly can it be almost 48 hours since that event and you aren't aware that the dude went there to shoot congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, not a 9 year old girl?

Bone-chilling prescience from Matt Taibbi
    by thereisnospoon

Just under a week ago on January 5th, Matt Taibbi's expose of John Boehner hit the Rolling Stone website.

<snip>

But in light of the Giffords shooting, one part of Taibbi's article in particular stands out with bone-chilling prescience:

Another Ohio Democrat, Steve Driehaus, clashed repeatedly with Boehner before losing his seat in the midterm elections. After Boehner suggested that by voting for Obamacare, Driehaus "may be a dead man" and "can't go home to the west side of Cincinnati" because "the Catholics will run him out of town," Driehaus began receiving death threats, and a right-wing website published directions to his house. Driehaus says he approached Boehner on the floor and confronted him.

"I didn't think it was funny at all," Driehaus says. "I've got three little kids and a wife. I said to him, 'John, this is bullshit, and way out of bounds. For you to say something like that is wildly irresponsible.'"

Driehaus is quick to point out that he doesn't think Boehner meant to urge anyone to violence. "But it's not about what he intended — it's about how the least rational person in my district takes it. We run into some crazy people in this line of work." (emphasis mine)

Driehaus says Boehner was "taken aback" when confronted on the floor, but never actually said he was sorry: "He said something along the lines of, 'You know that's not what I meant.' But he didn't apologize."
    That bears repeating: "It's not about what he intended -- it's about how the least rational person in my district takes it." And confronted with the obviousness of that appeal, the John Boehners of the world don't apologize. They just keep the steamroller of hate running right along through Crazytown until somebody inevitably gets hurt.

more
  • Mary
    Mary
    six-of-nine said: Except that as far as anyone knows, that's not true; not in this case nor other mass murderers. You have a weird and frankly silly theory Mary, unsupported by any facts.

Really? Well thank god you're here to set all matters straight regarding the motives of all mass murderers six-of-nine. Perhaps you should do a little research yourself before shooting your mouth off. In point of fact there is evidence that supports the idea that at least some mass murderers take the "shoot your way to temporary fame" notariary. Here's a couple of links on the subject you may want to read:

http://www.newser.com/story/18672/notoriety-drives-mass-shooters.html

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=4267309&page=2

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/VATech/Story?id=3056168&page=2

How exactly can it be almost 48 hours since that event and you aren't aware that the dude went there to shoot congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, not a 9 year old girl?

Of course I'm aware of why he went there. How exactly can it be almost 48 hours since that event and you aren't aware that he also shot a dozen other people who had no connection to Gabrielle Giffords, including a 9 year old girl? Where exactly was the political motivation in that? The girl might of been there to learn something about the government but come on----she was hardly part of the group this asswipe was so focused on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit