Why I Like the "Proclaimers" Book

by t33ap80c 44 Replies latest jw friends

• t33ap80c
    t33ap80c

While it is true that the "Proclaimers" book is not always as open and honest about the Society's history as it claims to be, it is open and honest enough to bring into question the Society claim to being God's organization. It's a matter of (1) knowing what to look for, (2) where to find it and then, (3) to be able get the sense of what it means.

Take for example the extremely important matter of the Second Coming of Christ...

On the top of page 47 the book truthfully explains how President Charles Russell came to believe that Jesus returned invisibly in 1874 to begin his Second Coming ("invisible presence"). And then a careful reading of the footnote on page 133 shows that the date of Jesus' return was not changed to 1914 until 1943.

It is likely that even if some Witnesses notice that fact, they do not get the sense of what it means. I think it is possible that even the men of the Governing Body do not get the sense of what it means.

Here are several very important things that one fact means...

1) Since Russell died in 1916 and Rutherford died in 1942 it therefore means that if Jesus did in fact return in 1914, the Society's' first two presidents never knew it. It seems fair to wonder why God never allowed the most prominent men in 'His organization' to ever know when his Son had returned.

2) If Jesus returned in 1914 it means the Society announced the wrong date of his return (1874) for 67 years. (Russell began to announce the 1874 date in 1876.) How "faithful" or "discreet" was that?

3) Luke's account (12:36,37) says that when Jesus returned his faithful slaves were to be found waiting and watching for his return. But in 1914 they were not waiting or watching for his return because they believed he had already returned 40 years earlier.

4) Jesus said that on his arrival and knocking they were to "at once open to him." But if they didn't know he had arrived in 1914 until 1943 that means he would have had to knock for 29 years before they opened to him.

5)For 35 years from 1879 to 1914 the Watch Tower magazine was announcing that Jesus was invisibly present when he wasn't - "Herald of Christ's Presence"

What these things help to show is that what was going on in the organization's history doesn't match up with Jesus' illustration or the Society's interpretation of it. And since they don't agree it brings into question their claim to having received the appointment mentioned in Matthew 24:47. For according to the Society's interpretation of Matthew 24:45-47, without that appointment in 1919 there is no way the Society could be God's organization in 2011. - See "God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached" pp. 349-355

There are several other things the "Proclaimers" book truthfully says that also bring into question the Society's claim to being "God's faithful and discreet slave organization." Again, it is a matter of knowing what to look for and where to find it.

Another reason I recommend the "Proclaimers" book is because it is still current. It is the Society's most up to date version of the organization's history. Therefore Witnesses do not automatically dismiss what it says as "old light" as they do with Russell's s "Studies in the Scriptures" or Rutherford's "The Finish Mystery."

The above are some of the reasons why "Captives of a Concept" recommends using the "Proclaimers" book as a Watchtower history study aid. Witnesses who will sincerely try to help those who ask about that history may end up teaching themselves that truth about it and in the process get the sense of what it means. i.e. The Watchtower Society has never been God's organization. - Romans 2:21

Don Cameron
    [email protected]

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

Great post!

I loved your book Don, thank you for putting it together :) When I left the cult it helped me add the final nails into the Watchtower Coffin. I appreciate it quite a lot.

3Mozzies

• varian
    varian

i think i stated in a wt-magazine, round about 1989 i guess, that gods day of wrath will occur within the 20th century.

they deleted that statement on the cd-rom version. so they forged their own history. am i correct?

• wasblind
    wasblind

A couple of months ago I was brought the " Faith in action-out of the Darkness" cd

I was told that it explained the History of the Organization, when I whipped out the proclaimers

book that was left with me by the sister who had originally studied with me, I had a field day

they told me that I should not have had that book cause I was not a baptized witness, and that

they have replaced the proclaimers book with the cd, you can't change your past, therefore the proclaimers

book will always be current because it's about their history. It is a very damning book to them

Oh that writing Dept. don't you just love 'em

• TD
    TD

Don,

And then a careful reading of the footnote on page 133 shows that the date of Jesus' return was not changed to 1914 until 1943.

I don't believe the footnote on page 133 of Proclaimers says anything about the change from 1874 to 1914 for the date of Christ's return.

It explains that the beginning of the 7th millennium was moved up by 100 years in 1942-1943 and it states that this "influenced" the original 1874 date for the Parousia, which is a little misleading, but still true.

A careful reading of the sources cited in the footnote shows that they are only talking about the 100 year adjustment for the 7th millennium and not the 40 year adjustment for the start of the Parousia. It's true that the two are loosely connected in Witness theology, but they are not the same.

As Carl Olaf Jonsson, Alan Feuerbacher and many others including myself have documented, that change occured about 10 years prior to this in the early 1930's. The first clear, unambiguous statement that the parousia had commenced in 1914 instead of 1874 appeared in the 1932 booklet, What Is Truth

(What Is Truth p. 48)

The most authoritive publication in the Witness community followed suit the next year:

(The Watchtower December 1, 1933 p. 362)

A ten year difference doesn't detract in the least from the point you've made above, so I honestly don't understand the strategic advantage of putting ammunition in the hands of JW apologists.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

book marked ....thank you so much!

• carla
    carla

marking, love Don Cameron's book! easy for a non jw to finally understand the crazy doctrine!

• I quit!
    I quit!

Great post! When did the Proclaimers book come out? When I was in the Watchtower they claimed that they saw that Jesus had returned in 1914 with they "eyes of understanding". They never were up front about any of their early teaching. Anyone wanting to look at the old liturature was viewed with suspicion. I would think that they came out with that book because information about their past was becoming easier to find and they were attempting to seem like they had always been open about their history. Another reason I think that they may have come out with this book was to try to put a good face on past errors and lessen the blow Jdubs would feel if they found these things out on their own.

• Ding
    Ding

I find it interesting that Russell thought Jesus was invisibly present and guiding him from 1874 through 1914.

The WTS now admits that this wasn't true at all.

This isn't just an admission that its founding pastor was fallible.

It's an admission that he was delusional.

And what does that say about the Society's current claims to be directed invisibly by Jesus and holy spirit?

• therevealer
    therevealer

TD - Just to be clear then, when I was told that they/russell pointed forward to 1914 some 30 or so years prior that is all bunko. This was a big thing to me and remained so. It was, like even though what they said would happen in 1914 was not accurate (their being taken to heaven) the fact that a world war started/happened was a big deal. And you would say that their is no way I would find in print the statement that 1914 was significant as early as 1885 or so?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit