Celtic are Coming to My Town Tomorrow

by cofty 10 Replies latest social physical

• cofty
    cofty

Celtic, the top club in the Scottish Premier League, are coming coming to Berwick tomorrow to play my home club Berwick Rangers in a Scottish Cup fixture. We play in the third division with average crowd of a few hundred - tomorrow is a sell out with 4,200 and its live on Sky Sports.

The home changing room the night before - bring it on!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Cmon Rangers!!!!!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I thought Berwick belonged to Russia. Shouldn't they be playing in the Russian league?

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

They are only at the top of the league because Rangers have 2 games in hand. Mon the wee Rangers for a cup upset!

• cofty
    cofty

Eh? Are you thinking about the legend that Berwick is still at war with Russia?

The story is that Queen Victoria supposedly signed the declaration of war against Russia in the Crimean was as "Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, Ireland, Berwick-upon-Tweed and all British Dominions". However, when the Treaty of Paris (1856) was signed to conclude the war, "Berwick-upon-Tweed" was left out. This meant that, supposedly, one of Britain's smallest towns was officially still at war with Russia. Sadly just a myth.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Ooops I got mixed up Berwick does not belong to Russia, it is at war with Russia.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/history/48664-berwick-upon-tweed-its-war.html

• cofty
    cofty
    They are only at the top of the league because Rangers have 2 games in hand

Aye we beat Rangers in 1967 - time to do the double

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

So you were from Scotland!! I was only joking but my stars were true for that day!!! I was to have a conversation with a jock !!

HHG send greeting from the UK Staffordshire..

• cofty
    cofty

Greeting HHG! Berwick is in England but only just; its right on the border on the East coast. I'm from Scotland though, brought up near Glasgow. I coach the U17 youth team at Berwick.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Commiserations Cofty. MIL told me the result today.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit