Question on Donations By Credit and Debit Card

by lurker 14 Replies latest jw friends

• lurker
    lurker

Recently there has been mention of assemblies with credit card machines for contributions. It was also mentioned on the last six screens call I think at the Stanley theatre. Has any one seen this taking place? If you have please post the place and date, I would like to know more about it. This is something that really ticks me off. Having served this group for so many years . To think that people would be asked to go into debt to donate to this organization is mind boggling. Thanks in advance

• jay88
    jay88

It is interesting how creative they can get as far as getting, your money, but how old fashion WTBTS is when it comes to spreading their message.

• blondie
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is just plain bad use of credit. So, they assume that we have millions and millions of dollars in actual or potential credit. They expect you to use it, and use it all. If you do not, "Are you sure you are doing all you can for Jehovah?" is what you should expect to hear. You go into debt, possibly beyond what would have been reasonable (and, looking at what happened in 2007-08, we should learn never to go beyond reasonable debt). At which point, any and all future donations are cut off because you are paying that debt down. Remember, most credit cards have interest rates that can be higher than 10%, sometimes even 20% and higher (at a time when they are paying just about zilch on savings and CD accounts).

By all means, I see nothing wrong with responsible use of a credit or debit card. Sometimes, going into debt can get you out of an emergency, allow you to help someone in great distress that you care for, or invest in something that will prove profitable. However, just to throw it away into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund, and get that "You are not doing all you can for Jehovah" 'd into maxing out your credit line is the worst irresponsibility with credit. I think it's even worse than spending it on fun stuff--at least you got your fun. With the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund, you can't even say that.

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

I recall seeing them about 4 or 5 years ago at a circuit assembly in England.

Personally, I find it in bad taste. Particularly when they get up on the same platform and start going on about not having debt etc!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBT$/Jehovah`s Witness Cult don`t pass a Collection Plate..

They have ATM Machines so you can Access your Bank Account..

Feed the Watchtower Money Pig!..

http://www.clipartoday.com/_thumbs/005/001/Animals_and_Wildlife_New_/Domestic/Pigs/pig_swine_98367_tnb.png

................... ...OUTLAW

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

In Germany this is already available since at least 3 years. I was very surprised the 1st time I saw it with my own eyes. I thought we ridiculed other religions for the very same thing in the past. It was one of the contributing factors in my Awake!ening. I used to make a fixed monthly contribution over my bank account. I canceled it 2 years ago. I am saving lots of money now on the gas I used to spend in Field Service. My conscience is more than happy with it, as I am polluting less by being an inactive JW.

• Open mind
    Open mind

We've been attending DCs at the Cow Palace in San Francisco for many years. ATMs have always been there.

However, it was either 2009 or 2010 that a new "loving provision from the Slave Class" made its appearance: Donation by Credit Card or Debit Card!

Give til it hurts!

om

• yknot
    yknot

And let us not forget the availability of online gifting to the Org for those in the UK.....

https://www.jwgift.org/Welcome.aspx

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

The generally considered worst idea of using credit is for things temporary and with no value at all (good debt versus bad debt). For instance, you can use your credit card for a lunch at McDonalds or a trip to Hawaii, which would be very bad in the eyes of any financial planner. However, using credit for things like work tools that would make you money overall and betters your financial condition.

Thus, donating to any religious org via credit card must just about be the worst use of credit ever!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit