Greg Stafford Jehovah's Witnesses Defended book...

by Tuesday 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Hey everyone, just wondering if there's an online version of this book? I don't know what it is about me but I have this natural aversion to actual paper books and would much rather read them online. If anyone has an electronic copy shoot me a PM, or knows of a link where I can get an e-copy, links, I checked Amazon and it's not an option to download for a Kindle or anything.

The ongoing anal-retentive research for my project continues, any help would be fantastic.

Thank you!

PMs welcome as always :)

• wobble
    wobble

Dear Tuesday,

you could try Greg's site Elihu Books, but I doubt his book, now in its third edition I believe, is available in "E" form.

You can read some of it on his site, I personally do not see how you can defend JW's beliefs, apart from where they believe the same as other religions.

Be warned too, Greg is a terrible wind bag, being in the WT for so long has given him the same writing style as them, never say in a sentence what can be streched out into a pragraph, and never say in a paragraph what can be stretched into an article etc.

This often serves for him, as for the WT, to obscure the fact that the basic argument is weak.

Could you please refresh our memory as to your project ? We may be able to help you find stuff.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I've read some of his stuff which is quite a dichotomy. I don't understand how someone can know and identify logical fallacies yet still defend the beliefs that he does.

Basically I'm thinking of writing a book and right now doing the research on it to see how feasable it is. You know my series "Tough Questions for Jehovah's Witnesses" on Youtube. This would be somewhat of a book form of it, but include the arguments that JWs will come up with based on the questions. I'm very much in the discovery phase of it, so I'm still feeling out how it's going to be written, how I'm going to write it, etc.

I figured since this man is apparently the foremost expert on defending JWs I should read his arguments for the doctrine and see what they entail. If his debates are any indication as to what his arguments are I'm not very impressed.

• oppostate
    oppostate

Frankly after reading what materials Greg S. has online at his website I'm not so sure he's defending the JW religion as much as defending his own view of Christianity, (which in many instances is not necessarily in agreement with the WT).

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I would invest in his 'Three Dissertations' book which gives you a glimpse into what he really thinks (or thought in 2003) about some key JW issues.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I've noticed that too about him defending his own beliefs which is mainly that God is not a trinity.

• Farkel
    Farkel

wobble,

:Be warned too, Greg is a terrible wind bag,

Not to mention he's also an insufferable pedant. I used to debate him on the old H20. He's quite a piece of work. It's unfortunate he has developed serious elbow problems from constantly patting himself on the back.

Farkel

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

He seems a bit like a self-righteous blow-hard. Reading through this online debate he had is like torture.

He basically just kept sticking to the point "The trinity does not appear in the bible", then the other man in not-so-many words was saying that the concept appeared in the bible. The person he was debating though never thought to ask Stafford if he believed in the Paradise Earth. Then if Stafford answered yes then he could say that Stafford clearly believes in concepts that are not specifically mentioned in the bible because Paradise Earth does not appear in the bible.

I usually diffuse all this arm-chair scholar BS by simply asking this series of questions:

Where did you study Greek and Hebrew? Who did you Study under? What are their credentials?

Nine times out of ten they're going to tell me they didn't study under anyone but they have done "mass amounts of research" to which I go with this series of questions:

Since neither you nor I would be considered scholars of either of these subjects if you do quote an "expert" then I quote an "expert" that disagrees with yours, where have we gotten? Which one of us is right if you have ten experts and I have ten experts, how can we tell which expert is right if we are not experts ourselves?

I don't tolerate arm-chair scholars and I don't know why others entertain people like this. People like this it seems thrive off people trying to disprove their opinions because it gives them an air of authority and validates them doing "research". It would be like if an actual scientist ever debated Kent Hovind and his ascinine theories, it would give him the validation he so desperately wants.

Still I'd like to read this guys full book so I can see the entire arguments that it has, it kills me to know the guy would get my money at this point though.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

A quick bttt before I go to bed hoping to get some links or PMs (or comments on my observations about Greg's debating technique)

• wobble
    wobble

This is really another bttt, as I would like to see your project move forward Tuesday, and I am sure there are some on here who can contribute.

I will be forever grateful to Greg for his site, it eased me into using the Net to question the WT so that I was not afraid when I found JWD/N a day or so after reading Gregg's site.

I was so pleased to find someone who felt as I did, that all debates about when Jerusalem was destroyed etc. and King lists etc. were redundant simply because any hint of the "Times of the Gentiles" was simply not in Daniel in the first place.

So the whole 1914 charade was a crock of s**t .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit