Pope says God was behind big bang. Interesting read

by rabidewok 26 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    If there is an intelligent Creator, he/she/they is one mean SOB.

In that case, so are you, meat eater.

Inanimate matter, microbes, plants and animals aren't on the same level as humans.

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Why mean SOB?

One example: At this very moment, hundreds of animals are dying painful deaths from forest fires caused by lightning.

Shall I continue? We could spend a lifetime detailing the pain of suffering of sentient creatures on this planet.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Are you having a burger for lunch?

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    The Catholic Church does not reject Creationism

(I'm struggling to keep up.) The Church accepts Evolution. They reject Young Earth Creationism. Right?

If so, the God of the Catholic Church is very different than the God of much of American Christianity.

As you say, however, individually, Catholics hold a wide variety of beliefs -- cause it's not fundamentalist cult and they don't rob people of freedom of mind.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    One example: At this very moment, hundreds of animals are dying painful deaths from forest fires caused by lightning.

And God caused the lighting that killed these animals ??

Shall I continue? We could spend a lifetime detailing the pain of suffering of sentient creatures on this planet.

And That makes God a means SOB because ?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If I spent the rest of my life killing animals in a painful manner, I still could not be compared with an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving God. If we cannot agree on how different these two things are, then we should probably not discuss this matter. I realize that I hold an opinion different from anyone who believes in a loving Creator.

If you'd like for me to acknowledge that I have no rational basis for eating meat, I can do that. I think animals are tasty. What type of defense is that? A poor one.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Yes I know LWT, I know. The benevolence thing is the issue. Keep in mind, I don't believe Jehovah is the Supreme God. But he IS the God of this world, and yes it is a world of suffering. Improving it in any way we can is part of the evolutionary process. We were given the task, but someone came along and told us that everything was already taken care of and all we needed was "faith".

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    And God caused the lighting that killed these animals ??

Does anything take place that God does not allow? Whatever happens, it is a part of his plan. If not, someone/somthing is capable of thwarting his plan.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

LWT, the point is, speaking of animals "suffering" in human terms is idiotic.

Do wild creatures suffer "moral outrage" over being eaten or eating themselves? Do they question the injustice of natural wildfires wiping out their forest? Do they philosophize on the injustice of "survival of the fittest?" Do they envision a world in which "eat or be eaten" is not the rule? Or do they rather merely act on instinct?

BTS

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Does anything take place that God does not allow? Whatever happens, it is a part of his plan. If not, someone/somthing is capable of thwarting his plan.

His Plan?

Dude, you gott a tell me what that plan is and IF it involves me winning the lottery !

;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit