Contribution Boxes At The Book Groups , Did You Donate More There Than The Hall ?

by Hairyhegoat 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• St George of England
    St George of England

We always had contribution boxes at our group study going back as far as I can remember, 1950's.

However, when the new arrangement came in for World Wide Work and Societies Kingdom Hall Fund etc there was a directive that although the contribution boxes continued at the groups, this money was for the the local kingdom hall account. There were never any contributions taken at the group for the WTS.

Of course all this stopped a couple of years ago when the Tuesday group study arrangement in homes was stopped.

George

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I never put money in at the Book Study cuz I didn't want anyone seeing. I always got my girls to put it in the box at the hall until we were "encouraged" to pay by monthly direct debit. I think that is how most at my old hall pay now.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

When I first started, I put in little--mostly because I had to pay for the littera-trash. Later, I ended up putting in zero at the Kingdumb Hell and zero at the book study. And now I don't go at all, to either.

• cofty
    cofty
    Are you a from Scotland ?,

Bloody cheek!

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

I can't remember any contribution boxes at book studies. But it can be my fault also, I was succesfull in ignoring them at KH too, most of the time.

CP

• blondie
    blondie

Depending on when you were in and when you left you might never have seen one. When I was young in the 50's, boxes at the book study were prevalent, then it ended for some time and started up about 15 years ago but no one every gave...and I know being married to the accounts servant.

There was a time too that book studies met before the meeting and went out d2d or did back-calls for about 45 minutes before the meeting....how many remember that?

• The Finger
    The Finger

Yes I remember pre group witnessing I actually quite liked it. Evening witnessing was quite good, at one time we went out two evenings a week.

• blondie
    blondie

Also, when the started up boxes at the book studies again (per a BOE letter so it was organization wide) most felt that confidentiality was not possible because fewer people, easy to see who went near the box, conductor would know who contributed and how much (because none or only one did). It is harder at the KH to determine who and how much because more people involved (unless someone uses a check).

• Poztate
    Poztate
    There was a time too that book studies met before the meeting and went out d2d or did back-calls for about 45 minutes before the meeting....how many remember that?

I remember those days. People had about as much "zeal" for that arrangement as they had for donating at the B.S.

It seems to me that they might have stopped the collections at the B.S. because they couldn't always count of having two trustworthy brothers to check the amount. That and no money being donated. I am sure at the K.H. that's what they needed unless I'm wrong.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I used to have the book study at my place and we had a small contribution box there at all times, hardly anyone contributed.

I remember seeing some pennies and other small change in the box but I think the amount was so small that my father

never bothered to take it to the Hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit