False Prophets or Just Poor Interpreters?

by Vanderhoven7 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

As a student of world religion I have "interpreted" many bible passages, as I have interpreted pasages from the Mishnah. I do not however claim the exclusive right or ability to do this. Interpretations are open to discussion. What the WT claims is not simple human interpretation but claim that "interpretation belongs to God" when they interpret it. They claim they alone have the god given ability to understand what the Bible says. They use double speak. When challenged on past errors they use "interpretation" in a broad human sense but when making new exegesis and predictions they connect interpretation with divine guidance. IE. They are claiming exclusive superhuman ability to interprete and convey the Bible message.

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

leavingwt:

I appreciate your quotes and scans, thanks for bringing them up. I'll definitely make good use of them with my family. I brought to their attention several times the question "How can a prophet be spirit directed and not inspired?" Nobody could give me an answer. But I liked how Don Cameron labels that a third type of prophet, a mix of true and false. I realize I have to read Captives of a Concept now, it looks like an interesting book.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Nobleheart:

I realize I have to read Captives of a Concept now, it looks like an interesting book.

It was the very first "apostate" book that I purchased, way back in 2007. The best $7 I ever spent. It blew my mind and sent me into a months-long research project.

You can purchase it instantly as a PDF download, here:

http://www.captivesofaconcept.com/NewOrderInformation.html

It's a brief book which can be read in one sitting. As Don does not mince words, this is not what I recommend to folks on the fence or active JWs. This book is appropriate for those who already not so fond of WT.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Like LWT noted and showed, the issue is that the WT CLAIMS to be the voice fo God and Christ on Earth, the sole channel of God and Christ on Earth.

THEY claim to be guided by the HS so, based on their OWN claims, they are indeed false prophets everytime they say something like "Millions now living will never die", or "1975 is a crucial year for the world as it marks the 6000 years od mankind".

When someone claims to speak FOR God then they set themselves up as prophets of God, and all that goes with the title.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle
    As Don does not mince words, this is not what I recommend to folks on the fence or active JWs

Funny you say that, I hid mine so well, it took me a while to find it.

But I was ready to read it.

• bennyk
    bennyk

Okay; I've posted this before, but it's still useful:

The Society actually blames God for the falsehoods they declare in His name:

13 The fact that decides the answer to the question is, not, Do all the clergy of Roman Catholicism and of Protestantism agree that Jehovah’s witnesses have been and are God’s prophet to the nations? but, Who discerned the divine will for Christians in this time of the world’s end and offered themselves to do it? Who have undertaken God’s foreordained work for this day of judgment of the nations? Who have answered the call to the work and have done it down till this year 1958? Whom has God actually used as his prophet?14 By the historical facts of the case Christendom is beaten back in defeat. Jehovah’s witnesses are deeply grateful today that the plain facts show that God has been pleased to use them. All the preaching and all the Bible educational work that they have done till now in 175 countries and islands of the sea they confess has been, not by help of a military army, nor by human power, but by God’s spirit, his invisible active force. (Zech. 4:6, AV) It has been because Jehovah thrust out his hand of power and touched their lips and put his words in their mouths. It has evidently been because he commissioned them to be over the nations and over the kingdoms. Happy are all those who have seen what the work of Jehovah God for now is and who have volunteered to do it. (w59 1/15 pp. 40-41 pars. 13-14)
    22 As Jehovah revealed his truths by means of the first-century Christian congregation so he does today by means of the present-day Christian congregation. Through this agency he is having carried out prophesying on an intensified and unparalleled scale. All this activity is not an accident. Jehovah is the one behind all of it. The abundance of spiritual food and the amazing details of Jehovah’s purposes that have been revealed to Jehovah’s anointed witnesses are clear evidence that they are the ones mentioned by Jesus when he foretold a “faithful and discreet slave” class that would be used to dispense God’s progressive revelations in these last days. Of this class Jesus said: “Truly I say to you, He will appoint him over all his belongings.”-Matt. 24:47. (w64 6/15 p. 365 par. 22)
    Stirring up increasing interest in them, Jehovah caused to be preached from 1918 onward the startling public message "Millions Now Living Will Never Die," and in 1923 he provided the interpretation of "the parable of the sheep and the goats." (Watchtower, Nov. 15, 1955, p. 698 § 36)

(In 1955, Jehovah is responsible for the failed message. Also, in October 1995 the Society changed the interpretation 'God provided in 1923'. The last quote is especially unfortunate when one remembers that Rutherford had admitted "making an ass of [himself]" with the false prophecy regarding 1925. ["Regarding his misguided statements as to what we could expect in 1925, he once confessed to us at Bethel, 'I made an ass of myself.'" (Watchtower, 01. October, 1984, p. 24) ] )

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    The Society actually blames God for the falsehoods they declare in His name:

Exactly! "New Light" is how to blame God for all of their lies. <----- If there is a God, WT is in deep doo-doo.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Analyzing the very beginning of the WTS. one can see that it was created on a business structure.

One that had the intuitive to maintain its financial fluency .

Russell kept account of expenditures and foreseeable receivables just the same as he did in his clothing business.

Sure there might of have been a certain level of believability of what he had come across from other self described bible theologians,

but can not expect a man to invest this level of money and not expect to embellish (sell) his story telling a bit.

I think the biggest and most important orchestrated dogma to him personally was the return of Christ and what was to closely follow.

It was his $100.00 suit with hand silk stitching and it was preconceived by him and his father a ( co-owner ) that this would indeed grab

the publics attention and help in the selling of the literature. More or less he was quite right on that account.

The unfortunate and occurring aspect after his passing was that a lawyer that he used to help with his business dealings, realized how much

wealth and perhaps power Russell had created within the WTS. corporation and he therefore made a pursuant takeover for himself and the

rest is history.

No wonder Rutherford shoved and pushed his way to take over the presidential position of the WTS.

Money and power is sweet if it does come from a religious publishing company .

Ask any GB member there today they'll tell you.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Wow! Thank you, especially to leavinwt ...and also Rabbit, Bennyk... for your responses. I'm currently embroiled in a debate on another forum so the info is more than helpful. :o)

Vander

• Joliette
    Joliette

Whenever I tell my parents about 1925, 1975, etc, they just say that the brothers are not perfect and they made mistakes. However, I point out how they've never apologized about the mistakes that they've made, and I mean come out and apologize and say that they've mislead people. They've hinted at apologies but they've never come straight out and said that we're sorry. Its prideful, boostful, and not christian. Thats how I know their false prophets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit