One year ago today......

by confuzzled777 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

At this very moment one year ago today my DH and I were in an "interview" with 2 elders in regards to a night out in late November 2009. That "interview" turned into my judicial committee with a 3rd elder who just happened to be at the hall that night........because of admitting to having been drunk on occassion over the years with the most recent being 2 years prior. The "interview/impromtu judicial committee lasted almost 3 hours as they tried to convince me that I had stabbed Jah and asked what I was going to do to correct my drinking habits. I am not a huge drinker......just like to drink socially with friends once in a while. When walking out the door of the KH that night, my DH told me that they were going to disfellowship me.

They called us back the following Saturday to disfellowship me. I appealed, met with another group of 3 plus the original 3. They kept the original decision and I was disfellowshipped on January 28th 2010.

Have a very heavy heart today. This month is going to be hard......a lot of memories of that night that I have tried to put behind me are being repeated in my head over and over.........

Thanks for listening.......

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

That period of time may have sucked, but getting out of the Borg in any way (DF'd, DA'd, Faded, whatever) is the best thing that could have happened to you. Life the life YOU want to live. Have the love, joy, peace, that can't be found within the confines of the JWs.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Don't you feel now they did you a favor? Aren't you glad to be out?

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Hi confuzzled...pardon my being dense, but what does DH stand for? Sounds rather strange that they would DF you over something that wasn't a "habit"...especially something that happened 2 years prior! Did you show repentance in your JC? Have you tried to get reinstated? Personally, being DF'ed worked out for me...hopefully, you can get past the feelings and start to live your life with happiness.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

You were either used to set an example, or you were df'd to cover up for someone else who is higher on the jw food chain than you were. I'm sorry you feel sad, because being cut loose fom this vile cult is the best thing that could happen to a person.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Aw, Confuzzled...

Look at it this way...

You didn't have to go to the meeting today, did you??? [I'm assuming that you aren't trying to be reinstated???]

That meant that YOU got to sleep in today. What do you think those elders had to do today???

Get up early. Shave. Get dressed up in a tight, uncomfortable suit. Race thru today's Watchtower study article, so it will look like the elder "prepared ahead".

Yell at the kids to hurry up. Get the wife to hurry up - after all, they have to have the ENTIRE family there, in order to remain in good standing as an "elder". That means yet another fight with Junior, who wants to get his eyelid pierced...

Pull the car out of the garage. Get the family to pile in. Halfway to the Kingdom Hall, ask whether everyone has their Watchtower magazines - then turn around and race back home so that little Suzy can get hers out of her dollhouse...

Get to the Kingdom Hall in time to find out that there aren't any Ministerial Servants available to handle the mikes. [Apparently they've all taken off on a ski trip - and DIDN'T invite any of the elders!!!] Have an "intense" but "loving" argument - er, "discussion" - among the elders to see which ones get to handle the microphones.

After the meeting, deal with Brother Chronology again - he's just a senile fart; too old to disfellowship - though the elders have seriously considered it - but he keeps asking those pesky QUESTIONS about 607 BC and 1914...

Grab a really quick lunch - all starches, guaranteed to expand the waistline even further - and on a janitor's salary, most elders can't afford a new suit very often...

Arrive at the meeting place for afternoon service. Find out that the only ones who have shown up, are Pioneer Sister Halitosis and Inactive Brother Body Odor - and BOTH of them want the spiritually-upbuilding experience of working closely with AN ELDER...!!

Get home exhausted, grumpy that the wife - as an elder's wife - managed to escape putting in any field time today because she DOESN'T work and does her field service during the week, leaving THE ELDER to pay all of the bills...

Try to herd the entire family together for the "Family Bible Study". Yell at Junior to stop playing "World of Warcraft" on the computer, and bribe little Suzy with a cookie. Wife claims she has a headache; means another sexless night for the elder. Make a mental note to see if one of the other elders would consider giving that talk on "marital due" again...

After the shambles that was euphemistically called the "Family Bible Study", get a call from one of the other elders about Sister Nymphomaniac. Feel twists in the stomach as the other elder declares his determination to find out just WHO has been "taking advantage" of her, again....

Oh, and the other elder states that the Circuit Overseer is due next week - and this time, he'll have the DISTRICT OVERSEER with him. Try to figure out who's inactive and see if they can be "encouraged" to come back to the meetings - at least during the next two weeks...

Get ready for bed, knowing that tomorrow will mean dealing with all those worldly people at work, who look down on people who DON'T have a college education, and having to deal with the secret envy and desire to be LIKE them....

See??!!!

Your life is better ALREADY!!!

Hope this gave you a grin and a giggle...

Zid

• mouthy
    mouthy

I feel for you. But look at it this way( if you can) God the Creator) knows these are
    false prophets. He evidently has examined your heart, So called you out of bondage
    This is a blessing. I know when I was d/f I also felt like your feeling. But NOW????It
    was the kindest thing that has happened to me in my whole life.
    NOT BY WORKS is the truth it is by FAITH!!!! If you believe in a GOD!!!! then recognise
    it as HIS finding a lost sheep.
    I too would like to know what DH means !!!!

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

LOL Sorry.....DH = Dear Hubby DW = Dear Wife DD = Dear Daughter DS = Dear Son.......something I have learned on other message boards.

Zid, Thanks for the giggle! Yes, it did put a smile on my face and a giggle in my heart! LOL Too true though.......

Mouthy, never thought of it that way. I guess after being told that He examined my heart and found me unfit as a witness, one does not think of it any other way.

To be df'd at 39 years old was extremely difficult as I am a born in. My DH and I finally found our place in the cong. after years of floating from cong. to cong. trying to find a group that we felt we belonged in. 3 years prior I had aux. pioneered for 5 months straight. We had most of our friends and family in that cong. It was home for us. We had a mixture of friends.....some were full time pioneers, some were MS, some were elders, some were striving for MS, some just getting by as we were. We were "in".

SO, for me it was devastating at first. I cried every day for over 3 months. I became almost house bound. Not wanting to go out for fear of running into a witness that could no longer even make eye contact with me let alone say a courteous hello. I had never felt SO alone and SO wronged by SO many people that I thought were my friends.

Fast forward 1 year......I have grown closer to my parents and my sis (who ARE JW's) which is HUGE as I have never known them the way I do now. My DH and I are even closer than before. My kids have been AMAZING as well at 13 and 16 they see that it was wrong and I have no doubt that it has changed their views as well. My BFF is NOT a JW and has been my rock. I have a small scrapbook business that I poured myself into and have found life long friends through. I am a much stronger person, but also a much more compassionate person. And most importantly A LOT less judgemental!

REWIND 1 YEAR: 20 of us go bowling the night before Thanksgiving as we have done each year prior for at least 5 years. A few in the group feel there is too much drinking.....too much having fun...... The “interviews” begin shortly after. My DH and I find out about them almost a month later while coming home from vacation with JW friends from the cong. ( whom had their interview before we left but were told NOT to tell us about it). Our “interview” was set up for Saturday January 2nd. We knew that they were asking about the drinking and if anyone was drunk that night. We refused to say if anyone was drunk that night, quoting a Watchtower. They called in “witnesses” for the others, but not my DH and I. In the "interview/impromtu JC" I questioned their reasoning for the JC as I could not understand why saying that I had thrown up from drinking was a sin. Had never heard of that before. When they quoted a scripture about me feeling stabbed in my heart for disappointing JAH by my actions, I was asked if I had a stabbing in my heart. I said that yes that I felt stabbed, but not in my heart I felt at that moment as if I had been stabbed in the back not just by my friends but for the JC meeting. During that night, I walked out of the room in tears and did not want to return. But out of respect for the "arrangement", I returned. When asked if what I was going to do to correct my drinking, I said “Before I answer that, I have a question. Why do you drink?”

BTW.....the CO was being texted by a sub CO DURING our "Interview". Nice huh??

So, I was seen as unrepentant and therefore disfellowshipped. They also told me that they took into account my meeting attendence and service time and since I was not regular they took that into account as well. I guess I was not only unrepentant, but also spiritually week and a danger to the congregation.

There were 3 others who were df’d and 6 more who were publicly reproved. 10 in all. Yes, it was used to make an example of us. It was spread all over the circuit.......gossip.......which we are not supposed to engage in. So they had no choice but to show others what would happen with the kind of behavior that went on that night.

The elders in my appeal meeting the following week changed the reason that I was DF'D. It was now for "excessive drinking". SO, even though I am not an alcoholic, nor do I make it a habit of getting drunk, it was because I have had more drinks in one night (7 drinks in 7 hours) than they felt was acceptable for me. Even if I am not drunk from the drinks......it was still excessive.

I did try to go back to meetings for a couple of months. Even attended Sunday of the convention this July. But have not returned since. Have not touched the bible or publications since that day. We used to have the publications sitting out on our end tables in the living room. No longer.

I have stated in another post that I am going to start going back the beginning of February. NOT because I want to ...... but because I need to. MY SIL is ill and I need to be able to be there for my DH and his family when she turns for the worse. Could be next month.....could be a year from now. Will I regret going back? Maybe. Will I regret NOT going back? Maybe. Either way I can't win. So, I get reinstated and start to fade.......

Do I feel as if they did me a favor?? YES!!!!! They opened my eyes to the way things really work. The "friends" that I thought I had, have not even so much as texted me to find out how I am doing. Some friends. My parents wrote a letter to the society as to what happened, not just with me, but with all the others involved. They received a response that completely upheld the elders decision. Not one apology for the way any of us were treated or questioned. That is when I completely lost faith. When you have NO where else to turn.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Confuzzled...if you SIL does not make it long enough for you to get, are you going to continue at reinstatement attempts anyway? Sorry to hear of your situation.

• confuzzled777
    confuzzled777

isaacastin, good question! once I start something.....I hate to not finish. SO, yes, I will continue......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit