"True Grit" remake. Review

by Gregor 44 Replies latest social entertainment

• Room 215
    Room 215

"The Unforgiven" and the "Lonesome Dove" series are among my favorites. The highly-rated "Deadwood" series to me had a lot of gratuitous profanity, and a strange stilted form of English used by several characters that I found strange and unlikely to be an accurate reflection of the language of the time.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I was never really a fan of John Wayne, but I thought True Grit was one of his better films. Having said that, I think the remake is as good, if not better.

• Iron Head
    Iron Head

I haven't seen True Grit yet. I plan to this week

I'm a huge fan of the Coens. "The Big Lebowski" is my all-time favorite movie. "Fargo" and "No Country For Old Men" are in my top 10

Although I love John Wayne-style westerns, I'm glad to see that the genre is returning to reality, i.e. "Unforgiven" and "Open Range"

• glenster
  • ranmac
    ranmac

Coens version is a beautiful film. I know im gonna offend some people, but I think John Wayne was a horrible. I think he was more of an icon than an actor. The first TG was entertaining, but the Coens and Bridges are on top of their game right now. Its almost unfair to compare. The rest the cast was amazing as well.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

No the modern one is lightyears better "the duke" who couldnt' act his way out of a paper bag was never able to debase himself to the extent that jeff bridges manages without even trying. The remake is much MUCH better than the original.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Just saw this last night! Well, Mr Bee and I were a wee bit disappointed because of the hype that set expectations high. However, having said that, we were glad we saw it.

On the down side - some of the dialogue was a bit hard to decipher auditorily - Bridges' guttural delivery, Maddie's overwrought mouthing - made it difficult to follow.

On the plus side - everything else. The realism, naturalism, scenery, uncensored brutality - all made this superior to the original. Sorry, but the John Wayne version now comes off like a cartoon. This one is superior.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks John Wayne is totally overated. He's the same character in every movie. At least other people who acted in war and western films were able to be a little diverse. Clint Eastwood, for example.

That being said, I liked the True Grit remake but it's a little overhyped. I didn't see anything special about it. There were several movies I'd say were better movies this year.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Say what you want about Wayne....did his best movies when directed by John Ford. "The Searchers" is a classic. His Batjac movies sucked. Those where his pink shirt movies. One exception was The Alamo. Find the original move release that hasen't been cut to ribbions. I have it on video tape. Very underrated movie

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

What movies from this year did you think were better?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit