"True Grit" remake. Review

by Gregor 44 Replies latest social entertainment

• Gregor
    Gregor

I really love a good western. The remake of True Grit by the Coen brothers (Fargo, O' Brother where art Thou?, etc.) was a pleasant surprise.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Looking forward to seeing True Grit.

A Western that I truly enjoyed was 'Open Range' with Robert Duvall, Kevin Costner and Annette Bening. Great supporting characters. It had a slightly different feel to it. Another was 'Josey Wales' it was more of an epic with great supporting actors. Clint Eastwood directed and at the time I remember thinking he just started another great career.

Some of the worse westerns were the Pink Shirt westerns with John Wayne. If you see him wearing his pink shirt it's usually a bummer. In one he's rolling around in the rain fighting a bad guy and when the camera takes a long shot ten feet away it's sunny and dry. Must have been a prop guy holding a hose, no expense spared.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Just saw it. Loved it. - Now I have to see the original.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

ALL of the Cohen brothers movies are odd, IMHO.

MANY of them are very entertaining.

My two favorites are 'O Brother Where Art Thou' and 'Blood Simple' (their first film).

I'm looking forward to seeing this remake of True Grit, starring The Dude.

• blondie
    blondie

I saw both...I love John Wayne though...grew up watching him as well as all the James Bond movies...you have to watch what your parents watch.

Some things are pretty much the same, Matty played by a younger actress. Glen Campbell played the LaBoeuf character in the original...he wasn't that bad. I love Jeff Bridges too, just saw him in Tron.

People back then did not use contractions and the language can seem stilted because of that, but I loved it in both movies. Hardly recognized Josh Brolin in this one.

Blondie showing her age

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I always liked westerns, except for the 'singing cowboy' type. I'll have to buy the DVD when it comes out.

W

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I am not a big fan of the Coen Brothers, and I am very afraid of what they are going to do to this classic.

• watson
    watson

XJW4EVR,

Not to worry. They have done it right!! Went and saw it, then came home and watched the original. Had never seen the original. I appreciate the original, but there is no comparison. The Coen version is great. Only weakness might be casting Damon.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Giordano - I know what you mean by the pink shirt westerns that John Wayne made in the '70's. They were awful.

(Must not overlook "Monte Walsh", Lee Marvin, Jack Palance. Great western.)

The Coen Bros. wrote their script from the original book (which I have not read) and has a different (I think better) ending than the John Wayne version. Also, a lot more humor than the original movie. Matt Damon was great. 10 times better than Glen Campbell in an awkward part.

The outdoor photography in the original was better from a postcard point of view but this movie was somehow more natural.

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

Love the Coen Brothers. Saw it and loved it. BTW it is based more off the book then the original movie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit