Born Ins vs Converts

by Red Piller 18 Replies latest jw friends

• bnybyt
    bnybyt

There is nowhere else to turn to except Jesus Christ

Thanks for your witness ABM.

Amen!

I converted to the JW religion, one thing I could see about born ins who stay in was that they were very fanatically pro Governing Body yet they liked to do things their own way. My experience as an elder with several born in elders in the BOE was proof enough that the JW religion is a non-Catholic but very Jesuit minded cult. (BTW Jesuits also call their top tier in the hierarchy a "Governing Body").

• amicus
    amicus

Interesting...

I was a convert, but in the early '70's I was one of many.

I faded away pre the 1974 armageddon event because I moved to Colorado and the witnesses there were pragmatic enough to not engage in the constant "love bombs" that infected the west coast.

So...converts were serious and you "born ins" were just cowards?

• amicus
    amicus

Post 134 of 135
    Since 5/6/2009

I was a convert.

Had already spent most Saturday mornings hung over watching those cartoons.

Loved getting up Saturday mornings and going out in service.

Did not understand the casual attitude that many others in the congregation had.

Thisconvert hated going out in service, but never understood the "casual" ones in the congregation. "People are Strange" was my hymn as I forced my self to live this lie. When I finally realized it WAS a lie...I quit. No lukewarm for me. I abandoned my family when I joined these cultists, so leaving them seemed fair.

The ones I wonder about are those who sit on the fence.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think this has to do with that recruits often use the religion as a substitute for whatever they were doing to mask problems. Usually, they are having problems--and the religion is supposed to take them away from those problems. And, the more they do, the more it has the illusion of doing this. You put yourself away from the world, and the more you do that, the more those problems are masked. Trouble, doing this is no better than using drugs to do the same thing.

With born-ins, they really didn't have much choice. They get dragged out in field circus when they are babies, dragged to boasting sessions, told what to say and do while at the Kingdumb Hell, and not allowed any other viewpoint. And the religion is counter to what most children naturally are drawn to--something adults do better at suppressing. A born-in might hear a "bad" song and like it because they are naturally drawn to it, while a recruit might associate it with something in the world (with help from the hounders) that gave them trouble and be drawn away from the same song. Same for things like field circus (more and better gets them away from their trouble), TV shows, reading material, and holidays (associated with the worldly problems).

• Gayle
    Gayle

A big difference for a 'born-in' and a 'convert' leaving JWs, is "identity." The convert got to know their identity prior to cultism. A born-in in leaving must find theirs that the organization robbed. The organization robbed their youth. Some born-ins may be natural rebels, good for them, but none the less have to go through processes to balance that out as they grow. Other born-ins are just trusting, want to be good and these get used so much by the organization, as their examples for parts in meetings and assemblies.

I have seen that converts, when they finally see the lie, can move on more quickly. The frustration and pain doesn't seem to be as deep. For the youth, there is more lingering emotions.

• jonathan dough
  • poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

who is this guy? ^

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

Sharpie and LITS - I also think that our view of other religions has been through a distorted lens.I am open mined to any faith at this point. I still believe in God.

Gayle - so true. I'm just finind out now who I am, what I really like or dislike. I've suppressed so many desires/ambitions/questioned so many of my own thoughts - up to this point. I feel like I am finally thinking clearly.

FF - good point. It must be a shock to be so scrutinized as a convert. For a born in, it becomes the background noise of your life.

Cofty - I think converts in the past may have had a real life and careers. The current crop is mainly losers. So, they get a chance to feel important and embrace it and do whatever it takes to move up the ranks. Failures in real life now can give talks and feel important during secret elders meetings. Anyways, that the trend I see in my many years in the "truth."

Satinka - won't that be great, if it's true!

• meangirl
    meangirl

Well I can see what you are saying. My mom was a convert and she was fanatical. You can really see that with the older ones who come in. I see your point too that they got to live their life and make their own choices. Then they look down on others. I pointed out to my mom that she got to celebrate holidays and birthdays and that it was HER choice to not do those things anymore but for me it was forced upon. They forget all the things they got to do when they were young and what sacrifices those who are young in the borg have made. I think they forget about that.....alot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit