Born Ins vs Converts

by Red Piller 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

First of all, let me say that I do think this excuse of a religion is on a downward spiral, which will only accelerate.

As a born in, I always read comments here about how dedicated and hard-line we are. I'm not so sure of that. Most of the born ins (who stayed) develop a casual attitude toward everything. Even if you believe it, hearing about Armageddon, constantly, doesn't excite you as much when it's the 1,000th time you've heard it.

Definitely, there has been some damage done to my brain and self esteem from all these years of indoctrination. But as far as this subject, I always found the converts to be the most annoying and judegemental. They come in guns blazing. Don't do this, don't do that. This is wrong music......Someone who started attending meetings at age 35 - looking down on me if I skip one. Buddy, when you were 18 and partying or in a dorm, I was here, stuck for a Sunday afternoon. Give me a break...

I think the converts wil be the one who turn out the lights. The born-ins who have given so much of their time, their youth and its potential and who have practiced the most self-denial, will be the ones heading for the exit, first.

• Sharpie
    Sharpie

As a born-in myself I totally agree with you.

All borns hate getting saturday morning cartoons robbed from them, not having any holidays, any parties, and end up putting on a excellent double life.

I still do it, for years I've been on aposte forums, and one other born-in my hall used to hang out all the time, sleep over, play violent video games, and now he's out in college and realized the witnesses are a total lie.

The only problem I see for born-ins, if it s a problem at all is that we all go to athieism after we leave. We grow up pointing out the errors in all other false religions we have none to turn to.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I agree also with this, and Sharpie you are right about pointing out the errors of other religions and feeling like you have no where to turn. But one problem is that a lot of what we were taught about other religions is not true. I remember one convert who used to be Catholic telling what Catholic's believe and how she was a strong Catholic and knew what she was talking about, yad, yad, yad.

I finally started to ask Catholic's I know and work with and what she said is not true. So I do not know if all religion is as bad as we were taught.

I think we just need to find things out on our own instead of believing all the stuff we were taught.

LITS

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I see your point about a lot of born-ins becoming atheists, Sharpie, but it doesn't have to be that way. It is possible to disbelieve in the literal existence any of the gods promoted by religions of this world while still maintaining some belief in a higher power of one's own understanding. That's where I am at right now. I doubt I'll ever be a full-blown atheist but at the same time I don't believe any human religious system has ever explained (or is likely to ever explain) God correctly; their gods are a fantasy with as much basis for acceptance as Manwe, Zeus, etc.

That said, there is some value in learning about the OT god, the NT's Jesus, Manwe, Zeus, Odin, and all the rest. Belief in their literal existence or the factuality of the stories about them isn't necessary for them to be useful.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

I was a convert.

Had already spent most Saturday mornings hung over watching those cartoons.

Loved getting up Saturday mornings and going out in service.

Did not understand the casual attitude that many others in the congregation had.

Eventually became dismayed at many of the injustices and hypocrisy I saw in my own Kingdom Hall.

Voraciously studied the bible and Watchtower Publications.

Eventually determined that the Governing Body must be; "the man of lawlessness" through trying to understand the JW baptism.

Shared what I had learned with the congregation.

Told them that we should obey Jesus Christs baptism.

and of course was Disfellowshipped!

Because I wanted to obey Jesus Christ.

No, I am not an atheist.

Instead I am convinced that what the bible says would happen in the final part of the days is REALLY HAPPENING!

Just not the way the Watchtower Society would have us believe.

There is nowhere else to turn to except Jesus Christ

abe

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

I was a born-in and now i'm an atheist. But i have no clue about wich one are the nuttest...

• cofty
    cofty

Hi Red Piller I agree with some of your observations. I think another significant difference though may be the cost of leaving the borg. A convert is more likley to have links outside the borg that could help with the transition. They may also have skills and education to fall back on.

The only problem I see for born-ins, if it s a problem at all is that we all go to athieism after we leave. We grow up pointing out the errors in all other false religions we have none to turn to. - sharpie

I was an evangelical for 9 years post-borg. I wish I had not wasted those additional 9 years, I think you have identified a potential benefit rather than a problem.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I always found the converts to be the most annoying and judegemental. They come in guns blazing. Don't do this, don't do that. This is wrong music

I was a convert, and I admit I was a bit like this, but there was a reason for it. As a new recruit I was constantly being counseled and corrected for the most stupid crap you can imagine. I couldn't go to a single meeting without someone saying something idiotic to me. I felt like they were policing every breath I took. One of the few pleasures I had in life was turning the tables and giving them a little payback.

W

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

My mom, who is still strongly in the cult, was a convert. Converts are almost always sucked in during a low point in their lives, and that's why they're usually so hardcore.

• satinka
    satinka

I agree, I don't see how such a religion could possibly survive in this day and age. Their cultish ways are becoming more clear every day.

Things could spiral downhill mighty fast for the WT.

satinka

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit