Voting a conscience matter??

by Cynisister 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Officially, voting is now a conscience matter. However, the hounders make their own rules. If they view voting as a disfellowshipping offense, they will still hold a judicial committee. And, they could "counsel" you against it, and treat "I thought it was a conscience matter" (with presentation of the article proving it is a conscience matter) as "brazen conduct".

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

How dishonest and tricky they are!

The upshot is still a violation of our human rights.

It's illegal to punish a "right."

I'd take it straight to the papers if I didn't care what anyone thought (JW family).

They often write dishonest articles like this. It is part of what makes them the worst kind of liar - the ones who tell half-truths (quarter-truths, lies with a smidgen of truth, etc.).

It is much like their blood doctrine which states that there is no punishment given out by the organization for accepting a blood transfusion. The only reason one doesn't get DF'd for blood or for voting is because they already consider you DA'd by virtue of you having done it.

The public can read an article like the 99 WT and think the JWs are reasonable and balanced in their "neutral" stand while at the same time the Borg is as intransigent on the issue as they ever were.

And as wiz says, now that they have the "brazen conduct" loophole, they can DF anyone for anything they want to.

• simon17
    simon17

Hey you're perfectly ok I think:

Bring a copy of the '99 article with you that makes voting a conscience matter. Say that, as they know, you've been away for a little bit, you thought this was the understanding, you're sorry if its not, and you won't vote anymore. Say you got a misimpression from that article, which is understandable.

Then should then give you the corrected viewpoint, you accept it, and you should be fine.

When your hubby's parents pass, then do what you want but just try to be quiet about voting until then.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This is the 2005 study Book, "Keep Yourselves in God's Love" p 213/214

"Voting in political elections.

True Christians respect the right of others to vote. They do not campaign against elections, and they cooperate with elected authorities. However, they remain resolutely neutral with regard to the political affairs of the nations. (Matthew 22:21; 1 Peter 3:16) What should a Christian do in lands where voting is compulsory or in a situation where feelings run high against those who do not go to the voting booth? Remembering that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego went as far as the plain of Dura, a Christian, under similar circumstances, may decide to go to the booth if his conscience permits. However, he will take care not to violate his neutrality. He should take into account the following six principles:

1. Jesus’ followers are "no part of the world."—John 15:19.

2. Christians represent Christ and his Kingdom.—John 18:36; 2 Corinthians 5:20.

3. The Christian congregation is united in belief, and its members are bound together by Christlike love.—1 Corinthians 1:10; Colossians 3:14.

4. Those who elect a certain official share responsibility for what he does.—Note the principles behind the words recorded at 1 Samuel 8:5, 10-18 and 1 Timothy 5:22.

5. Jehovah viewed Israel’s desire for a visible ruler as a sign that they had rejected Him.—1 Samuel 8:7.

6. Christians must have freeness of speech when speaking to people of all political persuasions about God’s Kingdom government.—Matthew 24:14; 28:19, 20; Hebrews 10:35."

It is clear from this that it is a given that J W's do not vote....As others have said, the Society is really duplicitous over this. They say to the public, "It is a conscience thing", but if your conscience moves you to vote for a "worldly" government then you are clearly showing by your actions that you do not look exclusively to "Gods Kingdom" - therefore you are no longer one of Jehovah's Witness and they can announce that to the congregation.......

• heathen
    heathen

The only way to vote is to vote for the president of the WTBTS so they do vote on some things

• Cynisister
    Cynisister

Blues Brother, You gave me the answer I was looking for: the most recent "ruling" on the matter. Thank you! Guess I'm going to be "out" quite soon!

Cynisister

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am truly shocked! Voting is active participation in this world. It involved automatic disfellowshipping in my day. I am a lawyer and have often thought how I could not take the oath of allegiance as a Witness. In fact, I wondered how the Society obtains Witness lawyers. My supposition is that they have to be converts.

I vote and help monitor the polls. As I do so, I think of the Witness prohibitions.

So God changes his mind frivously. What about the brothers and sisters in Nazi Germany or Japan who did not participate in cult worship. The early Christians? I've heard Christians served in the Roman army and also that they did not.

It seems the best argument to me is not to cite the Watchtower article at first but to say that you went through it pro-forma and cast no vote or wrote in "WTBTS" on the blank ballot. My thinking is that the Watchtower shows they are not current yet your fate is dependent on this group of men. Another thought I have is to fake ignorance. Oh, brother, I had no idea. Fake tears. Thank you for correcting me. I will never, ever even go through the mere motions of voting again now that you opened my eyes.

You have a snitch close to you. Would they check voter rolls to catch one person?

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

I seem to recall reading something that said the reason it's now a "conscience matter" is because legally, they cannot tell you not to vote, just as they can't legally tell you that you can't accept blood. I could be wrong on that, but it makes sense.

Of course, that means nothing inside the JW world.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The First Amendment would forbid the govt barring a religion from telling someone not to vote. Quakers come quickly to mind. I believe there is a tax-exemption problem if they tell you which candidate to vote for from the pulpit.

I'm glad that it felt good to vote. It was so odd to do worly things at first.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I have a very good idea why that statement was made in the KM to begin with. Like most other statements, it was to COVER THEMSELVES LEGALLY.

Here's the situation: There are countries who do not recognize religious organizations who do NOT VOTE. THEREFORE... WITNESSES IN THOSE COUNTRIES ARE ACTUALLY ASKED (demanded?) TO VOTE. Please note!!! The unwritten "understanding" is that they vote for EVERY candidate in the running, thus cancelling out any valid "vote". BUT who would know the difference? There is no way the elders would know.

A friend of mine has family who are missionaries in such a country, and yes, they "vote" as Jehovah's Witnesses (Gileads, even!)

I am going to go looking for backup threads on this, if anyone finds them first, please let me know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit