Evolution and Man Where are We Going?

by D wiltshire 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

aC,

Think about this what you said:

I also think that such a change is unlikely. For if a few mentally advanced human "mutants" did appear on earth they would most likely be the children of parents who possessed greater than average intelligence. And, as Jan has pointed out, most people possessing greater than average intelligence have fewer children than people possessing less than average intelligence. If this trend continues, the odds will work against the human race producing any such "advanced" children.
    Doesn't this sound a little like Hitlers reasoning?
    Who is the Judge of all mankind? Isn't he the one that can only answer Who is the dumber than someone else?
    Not us, because of our limited intelligence.

Doesn't that sound reasonable?

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • David Gladden
    David Gladden

You guys should read a book about "Memes" (Singular: Meme) It is a variation on the word "gene" in genetics.

The idea of the meme is that thoughts and ideas are in effect living organisms passed from one person to another - like a virus. It is a very interesting theory that is gaining momentum.

Here are two good books:

The Meme Machine
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/019286212X/qid=1012255112/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_67_1/104-3177095-9611913

Virus of the Mind
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0963600117/qid=1012255112/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_67_3/104-3177095-9611913

• Satanus
    Satanus

Dwilt

If i could put in a word here...
    I think what achristian is referring to is that couples who are well off and better educated have fewer children than poor uneducated couples/women. In third world countries this can be seen more clearly.

Thanks SS

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

SS,
    But what if the formula for evolution was put in from the very first chemical start?

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • Mindchild
    Mindchild

I personally feel there are large evolutionary changes taking place both from cultural factors and biological factors. I base my view on the fact that evolution occurs regardless of the causative processes involved and so does natural selection. To see how this might happen in the last ten thousand years or so consider this. If it were not for the advances in cultural evolution and the knowledge that is intimately associated with that, there would be a lot less people alive today than otherwise. Nobody can dispute this fact, because a hunter-gather societal base does not support such a large population base. This explosion of the human population, has allowed for more variation to be expressed in the time frame involved than otherwise would have been possible. Simply put the more births there are, the more chances of evolutionary change being transmitted from one generation to the next.

Has any of this accelerated change produced any changes in biological evolution? Yes it has. Because of the softer life that culture has given us and also due to improved living conditions and health, a lot of people are alive in the world that would not have been here because of genetic screw ups that were passed down from generation to generation. In short, our cultural evolution has been kind to the masses of humanity and has allowed many people with genetic defects and diseases to not only thrive and prosper but to reproduce. Many of these defects have been passed down from generation to generation. We of course call these inherited diseases.

Please note I make absolutely no moral statements here. I’m not saying this is good or bad, but that it just is. I’m only using this to point out that biological evolution is progressing even more rapidly because of social evolution, regardless of the end results. Remember that evolution is a blind process. It has many dead ends and sometimes-entire species become extinct. The biological evolution that we have seen our own species undergo in the last 10,000 years or so may or may not have important evolutionary advantages in the future.

I do know this, that with the near term innovation of artificial life forms, evolution in biological systems will take a quantum leap. We are already becoming cyborgs with artificial body parts that range from knee replacements to artificial hearts. While it is not likely that we will replace the brain any time soon, genetic manipulation of our brains is a likely prospect to enable us to keep up with the machines we create in the future (psst the machines are going to win) and these genetic modifications will be passed down through generations, as will direct manipulation of our DNA in many areas.

Welcome to the brave new world. The Matrix is waiting.

Skipper

• Satanus
    Satanus

Dwilt

You mean starting w the primal hydrogen atom, or the plasma state? That is an interesting idea. What if there is/was a very low level of consciousness in those elements? To illustrate: step consciousness down, backwards from the human level to for instance animal, bacteria, plant, virus, mycoplasma, protein, molecule, atom, electron and so on. Could there be an erg of intent at that level or at an even lower level?

SS

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Oh Skipper, you really can go on and on and on this subject can't you.

SS, Not at first post but I do now!!

Skipper your trying to find out if I'm all there.Skipper someone could make a lot of money on this thread.
    I must give some credit to Focus, he taught me this little trick.

aC, I'm up here look up
    I see your very merciful out look, and I ment no harm about Hilter thing.
    But the only one that can give a absolute IQ test is God.

Think about what SS says above. Please give his idea some thought.

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Dwitt...haha I threw that last part in there to see if you were paying attention. lol

Skipper

• 2SYN
    2SYN

No, MindChild, we are only the vehicles the Memes written deep inside our chromosomes are using to leave this planet. There is no other viable way of getting off this world.

Cool theory, huh?

• aChristian
    aChristian

Dave,

I wrote: most people possessing greater than average intelligence have fewer children than people possessing less than average intelligence. If this trend continues, the odds will work against the human race producing any such "advanced" children.

You responded: Doesn't this sound a little like Hitlers reasoning?
    Who is the Judge of all mankind? Isn't he the one that can only answer Who is the dumber than someone else?

I don't think so. There are such things as IQ tests. I believe they do a pretty good job of evaluating a person's intelligence. The Bible tells us only God can judge our hearts. And that is the only judgment that is really important. I believe that when the Bible uses the word "heart" it refers to a person's attitudes toward God and their fellow humans. I'm sure God will judge some people who possess less than average intelligence but have kind hearts more mercifully than He will judge some people who possess greater than average intelligence and unkind hearts. When that day comes I'm sure some who have "big" brains and "small" hearts will be glad to trade places with some who have "small" brains and "big" hearts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit