Is the Watchtower nothing but one big scandal?

by sabastious 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious

I often find myself trying to put together a mental list of the good things about the Watchtower. When I was a Witnesses that list was long, but as I moved away from the Organization all the items on that list started blurring from fantasy into reality.

It seems apparent to me that the Watchtower is nothing but a huge scandal spanning over a century. What a concept, a century old blatent lie.

Old list of JW virtues

1. The most loving people in the world

I used to believe this as many of my family still fervently believe it. If you ever call out a Witness on it they have a prepacked set of anwers. They'll say that they have broken racial boundries and that everyone believes the same thing and they don't go to war because of their intense love for mankind. They truely, in their minds, are models of Christ.

What's ironic is that every attribute that they find so endearing all can be found within destructive suicide cults, namely Jonestown. Of course if you bring that up they will just brush it off... because they really are different, the Jonestown people are just a bunch of "crazies."

And as a side point, how can a group of people self proclaim to be the most "loving people in the world"? That's like an actor insisting he is the best actor alive and keeps not getting nominated for the acadamy awards.

2. They are the only ones immitating Christ

Christ preached from house to house, Paul preached from house to house, therefore Witnesses are the only ones immitating Christ. It makes so much since in the moment doesn't it? I know I really wanted to believe that I had been born into the one group on earth that was truely immitating Christ. It's funny how Paul and company ultilized letter writing. Letter writing was the most advanced form of communication in that day and it was used very effectively, hell many of the Bible books are indeed letters.

If you want to immidate Christ don't try to emulate his actions in historical context emulate his passion. Jesus would have used all modern technology to spread his message because he knew how important it was, it's simple concept that is lost with most Witnesses. They usually have some stupid excuse for why the Witnesses don't utilize modern technology and it 100% of the time completely asinine.

It's contant lies, it makes me sick in to my stomach sometimes.

3. They have undeniably fulfilled Bible Prophecy

This is an interesting one because when you change the definition of inspiration or spirit-directed you change the definition of prophecy. Every time a Witness tries to explain Bible prophecy that they indeed fulfilled (not end times) it is a laughable argument. Then they have to default that they are the "only ones" that are fulfilling Matthew 24:14. And they are the "only ones" truely aware of the Signs of the Times.

They have to make up lies to cover their lies so that they can cover up more lies. No, most Witnesses really believe what they are saying, it's dumbfounding.

Their case is flawed and their positions are weak, but yet they will look you straight in the face and tell you that they are better than you and you are going to die in Armageddon and your eyes are going to picked out by buzzards.

Sometimes you get a passive Witness who pulls the "we don't really know who is going to make it" crap. And for some reason within that argument the Watchtower is a meaningless piece of literature. You can show a Witness who believes in "God will read hearts" 10 recent articles with clear language stating only Jehovah's Witnesses are going to be saved and they will laugh in your face and say something like "That's wrong, they are just imperfect men making mistakes."

Then when these "wrong and imperfect men" say jump they reply "how high?"

-Sab

• wobble
    wobble

Good post as usual Sab,

it surprises me that I have come so far, just three years ago I was still in the bubble of WT world, O.K I was inactive as to F.S but I still attended meetings sporadically and I still believed they were god's organization despite the things I knew to be wrong.

Back then I would have made a similar list to yours.

Just a few months after leaving a Witness said to me that he felt they had "90% right" and I replied that I felt they had "90% WRONG !"

Now it would be 100%.

I do not believe in God, or The Bible as the Word of God so I disagree with everything they stand for.

As to are they just one big scandal, yes, they have been caught lying so many times that "truth is not in them "

• moshe
    moshe

For some people who have weak social skills the KH might be a more desirable alternative for them.- in the KH people can get respect for doing worthless WT busy work every week- and the more hours of it you do, the higher your rank is in the KH. It's all a matter of perspective and as long as you never leave the KH, you have the luxury of delusion, i.e., you are better than everyone else in the community, because the WT leaders say you are. I think it must be very hard right now for JWs to feel good about themselves, as the public's viewpoint of them is only getting worse.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good Morning Sab!..

Actually..Jesus never preached from House to House..

He Preached Publicly and in Small Groups..

Jesus`s advised his Diciples "Not to go,House to House"..

It`s in the Bible for anyone to read..

The WBT$ goes against the Teachings of Jesus..

And..

Replaces them with their own Stupid Teachings..

"WBT$,the Anti-Christ Organization"..

http://i.somethingawful.com/u/elpintogrande/brutallegend/lucifer.jpg

...................... ...OUTLAW

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

The GOD CARD is a tough one to overcome.

When people think they are doing what GOD WANTS then there isn't any other alternative. Not just JWs, but pretty much all religions.

As LWT often says: "Facts are rendered useless when confronted by the power of belief" Hopefully I didnt butcher that quote..

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Absolutely, it was created and founded by a turn of the century religious charlatan ( C T Russell ) full of his own acquired beliefs such as

Pyrimdology. One thing to keep in mind is the WTS. was a rich Incorporation deliberately constructed by Russell himself.

The lawyer that he used in his business dealings J Rutherford knew well of the WTS wealth so is it really surprising that he would want to

take over the organization for himself.

He succeeded in his endeavor and became the President which he knew by being a lawyer that there would be little chance of him

being removed from the position. So here you have a individual that was not a well studied knowledgeable bible theologian but a studied

and trained practicing lawyer writing and creating newly applied doctrines. The WTS is more of a con than a scandal ,

the developed premise is that if you read are literature and do what we say you'll not be destroyed ( murdered) and go on to live in

blissful eternal Paradise. We are god's personal messenger so we have all the information needed to be successful in not being killed.

A transcript of a con job if there ever was one, all devised by a publishing company with attached professional lawyers operating

behind the scene in its controlling operations.

The scandal might be that the organization has acquired over a billion dollars worth of real-estate mostly donated by fooled

devotees. Now after a hundred years or more of lying and deceiving the public do the leaders of this organization have to give

any of that acquired wealth back to the people who gave it to them originally, certainly not .

The WTS. replaced Christendom's cross with idyllic symbol of the $

In its truest form the WTS. is a publishing business using the fruitful disguise of virtuous religion.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Pyrimdology. One thing to keep in mind is the WTS. was a rich Incorporation deliberately constructed by Russell himself.

I've read that the WT was created by three people and $5,000. $5,000 in the 1870s must have been more like $150,000, which is a LOT of money for the average person.

I would even consider someone that just invests $5,000 (in the 1870s) into a movement is rich. What did Jesus say about rich men and the Kingdom of Heaven? So you mean to tell me that the "only immatators" of were founded by rich men?

Doesn't add up if you are a follower of Jesus.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    The GOD CARD is a tough one to overcome.

I think these are profound words. The God Card should never be taken lightly. Because that card, however stupid it might seem, packs a punch in this world.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

Good Morning Sab!..

Actually..Jesus never preached from House to House..

He Preached Publicly and in Small Groups..

Jesus`s advised his Diciples "Not to go,House to House"..

It`s in the Bible for anyone to read..

The WBT$ goes against the Teachings of Jesus..

And..

Replaces them with their own Stupid Teachings..

"WBT$,the Anti-Christ Organization"..

http://i.somethingawful.com/u/elpintogrande/brutallegend/lucifer.jpg

Hola Outlaw!

I know the arguments against their claims and they make sense to me. It's just a hard emotional (not logical) pill to swallow when I'm confronted with evidence of blatent Anti-Christian behaviour coming from the Jehovah's Witnesses the ones that claim to be the "only true Christians."

It makes me want to shout at the sky. They call themselves not only Christian's but the only true Christians! And they all would debate endlessly like debator no matter what evidence is given.

I understand the cult personality logically, but emotionally I can't wrap my head around it.

Even when I was a Witness I wouldn't try to defend the undefendable. I would many a time just take the "I have faith in the Organization" line. Even in my cult personality I was trying to be intellectually honest.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    For some people who have weak social skills the KH might be a more desirable alternative for them.- in the KH people can get respect for doing worthless WT busy work every week- and the more hours of it you do, the higher your rank is in the KH. It's all a matter of perspective and as long as you never leave the KH, you have the luxury of delusion, i.e., you are better than everyone else in the community, because the WT leaders say you are. I think it must be very hard right now for JWs to feel good about themselves, as the public's viewpoint of them is only getting worse.

I believe you are very correct. The KH and the Witness life in general is a haven for the socially inept.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit