What Are Some Stupid Things JW's Ban

by Pig 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

I should have said that it wasn't my compilation. Typed in ''things jehovahs witnesses cannot do'' into the great Google.

• sabastious
    sabastious

The answer to your question gives real insight into how the Jehovah's Witness religion actually works.

Their actual prohibition list is pretty common to Conservative Christianity, things like:

Fornication

Adultry

Greed

Homosexuality

But JWs have a specific way of setting rules, they call it a "Bible trained conscience." It's a benevolent policy turned bad.

The concept is that there are too many things to manage in this world as far as ethics go. So they pull a Jiminy Cricket and tell you to "let your conscience be your guide." The flaw doesn't lie in this way of living your life though.

The flaw lies in another policy: Congregation Purity.

Here's the basic logic:

The congregation requires purity because without it the congregation is withheld holy spirit. So even though people are "allowed" to let their conscience be their guides it is possible to have a "tainted conscience." Guess who gets to determine whether or not your conscience is tainted? A group of bumbling men.

What this does is turn the congregation into a rumor mill, because everyone knows their asses are on the line if anyone in the congregation has a "tainted conscience" to the point that maybe they are doing things that meet the "ten commandment" level of Sin.

If someone who is bothered by magic in movies and video games you better hide your Lord of the Rings movies and Legend of Zelda video games because they might be stumbled if they see that you own such things.

Basically what I am saying is the prohibition list officially is, for the most part, just a generic list from Conservative Christianity. Then there is a sublist of "conscience matters" of which is as lengthly as the California Drivers Law book.

-Sab

• DanaBug
    DanaBug
    If someone who is bothered by magic in movies and video games you better hide your Lord of the Rings movies and Legend of Zelda video games because they might be stumbled if they see that you own such things.

This! How many things left to conscience did you used to do but never talk about for fear of stumbling someone? Agh! Such measly faith they all have.

Things I remember frowned upon: troll dolls, unicorns, fairies, any mythical/magical creature or cartoon that contained those, Fantasia because Mickey was a wizard (but the other Disney movies were okay), anything vampire related, any sex scene or major curse word was fast-forwarded or muted in movies or music, any album that had the PA label on it; hair dyed an unnatural color was frowned upon in my hall as were spaghetti straps, short skirts, combat boots, dark makeup, toe rings, thumb rings, and anklets.

In my family, no concerts (bad association), no singing lessons (not a spiritual goal, thus a waste of time), no phone calls from school friends. At one point, all my popular music was banned for two months since I was acting too worldly. When the three of us were about 13, 11, and 9, we were banned from sleeping over at friends houses. I never knew why.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

In our town, having a party for your kid when they graduated from high school was banned.

But in the next biggest town over (2hrs away) grad parties were A-OK.

And they wonder why the kids are leaving in droves.......

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Martial arts are banned. I even heard a congressional speech specifically placing martial arts in the same category as fire weapons. Having a gun is allowed only to those who leave in areas where there are wild animals near human settlements or in areas where hunting is the main source of food.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

And yoga.

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Not to derail the thread, but I just remembered this. I wasn't allowed to keep a diary. I was told that while the demons can't read your thoughts or heart, they can read what you write down and mislead you that way. Anyone else told that?

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    Not to derail the thread, but I just remembered this. I wasn't allowed to keep a diary. I was told that while the demons can't read your thoughts or heart, they can read what you write down and mislead you that way. Anyone else told that?

Yes! I totally forgot about that! The demons would read what you wrote and use your deepest thoughts and fears against you.

• minimus
    minimus

french kissing

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

During my teen years, we were banned from going to high school sports events.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit