What was the worst part of the conventions for YOU?

by mochamint22 27 Replies latest social current

• life is to short
    life is to short

The way everyone acted after the assembly, saying what a gift from Jehovah and what was your favorite part. I never could remember any of it the next day. I tried not to sleep but even when I was awake and EVEN when I took notes I still could not remember much, it was all the same drone we had heard for years.

Then there would be someone who felt that there was new light on some point and I would be wondering what new light and they would look at you like you were so lame and stupid for not getting the new light.

I hated the put downs after the assembly's the most.

LITS

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I thought I was the only one that didn't remember anything a day later. Hell, I couldn't remember what the last talk was about!

The drama...I was in one back when I was 9 or 10... it was lame but I got star status for a few years for being in one. But the acting has always been HORRIBLE. Most couldn't even get their lip-syncing right!!

The whole thing was mind-numbing. All I could think about was the next time I could stand up and stretch. Why were the chairs/bleachers always the most uncomfortable things to sit in?!

When I got baptized and was given privilege to be an attendant, I was ecstatic. Only because I could walk around anytime I wanted and not pay attention.

• SlipnSlide
    SlipnSlide

I hated:

The attendants acting like the FBI holding up those signs telling folks to go to their seats.

I really hated the fact that they would put paper towel on the mirrors so that you could not fix yourself up. (I tore one down, anyway

Having to sit in a row with a lot of children or those people who got up every 10 minutes

Having to wait in the long ladies restroom lines, while the men's restroom didn't have many in it.

I hated being assigned to clean up after folks when my bookstudy was assigned.

Sitting next to a real over-weight sister who would not get up and I most definately had trouble squeezing by her to get by.

The public talk because they hyped it so much that you were going to get NEW information.

When my favorite section was not available because of the many song books and Bibles in the seat for their lated guests.

Trying to find a parking spot because most were taken by the time I got their at 6:30 am.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

LITS, That's so true .... except at my last convention I turned the tables on them. One guy was intensely interested in whether I'd been there on ALL THREE DAYS and said there had been a rumour that we'd only turned up on Sunday. I told him, "Go ahead, ask me a question." But he couldn't think of anything to ask because he, like 99 per cent of all the braindeads there, had been paying no attention and was there only because it was important that he be SEEN to be there.

I had been very interested in a "new thought" that from the first day was promoted as being one of the "exciting" things we should be listening out for. When it came (in a talk on the final day) it turned out to be that the new system might be ... wait for it ... even BETTER than we had ever imagined. What a crock. That was the "new thought".

So I said to this guy, "So Steve, what did you think of the 'new thought'?" He looked blank. "You didn't hear it?" I asked. So I repeated the "new thought".

Then he asked, "What was the highlight for you?"

I said to him, straight faced, "The closing song."

I left soon the arena soon after, as angry as I always was at the end of a time-wasting, self-congratulating three-day indoctrination session, furious that my weekend had just disappeared and I was back to work the next day.

What else did I hate?

*The competition by elders to make their prayers the longest of the session, particularly at the end of the day when they would "review" the convention, talk by talk.

*The audience's urge to applaud the lamest things (A new release? A new assembly hall despite police opposition in Uzbekistan? The completion of another wing at Bethel? A new peak in attendance at the Turkish-language convention in Sydney?)

*The belittling of anything to do with "the world" by COs and DOs who live in a bubble, their introspective lifestyle funded by people who DO work in the world and need it to eat and put a roof over their heads. (Television? Hair styles? Fashion styles? Higher education? Music? Movies? Driving behavior?)

*The obsession with getting volunteers to clean, clean, clean. I was stupid enough to volunteer one year and found myself spraying windex on handrails and door knobs every 20 minutes. In the toilets I heard some old fart berating a teenage boy because he wasn't cleaning the urinals well enough.

*The embarrassment of sitting through all this crap with paid arena staff standing inaside the auditorium hearing it all too. I'm cringing and thinking, why does this dickhead on the stage have to labour this stuff?

*And yeah, like 3Mozzies, the walk to and from the convention venue with suit and briefcase, trying to pretend people (including sneering footy fans) didn't think I was one of the other thousand morons going there.

Agony. Every convention. God I'm glad to be out of it.

• crapola
    crapola

I hated Friday morning of the convention because i knew it was 3 days of misery. I hated freezing, getting so sleepy, the symposiums, .Really nothing about it did I like, oh except for the going home part.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Yep, southbound 35 felt pretty good didn't it?

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

No more bacon butties!!! And turning down sisters sex offers behind the stand!! One was so nice she had to be shagged no matter what. She loved it and still text,s me now. Lol

HHG

• trillaz
    trillaz

Speaking of self congratulating... I stopped clapping for and after every "experience". They were nothing but filler for the speaker.

And every three years, you would hear from one pioneer sister whose child didn't follow the WTB&TS and she "chose Jehovah" and the whole auditorium cries and everyone talks about the "moving experience". Those were conditioning sessions so if you ever faced it with your family, you would do the same.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit