Was It a Fig Tree From Which Eve and Adam Ate?

by snowbird 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's the script from Women in Love. Wowza.

The proper way to eat a fig in society...
    is to split it in four...
    holding it by the stump...
    and open it...
    so that it is a glittering, rosy, moist...
    honeyed, heavy-petaled, four-petaled flower.
    Then you throw away the skin...
    after you have taken off the blossom
    with your lips.

But the vulgar way...
    is just to put your mouth to the crack...
    and take out the flesh in one bite.
    The fig is a very secretive fruit.

The ltalians vulgarly say
    it stands for the female part, the fig fruit.
    The fissure, the yoni...
    the wonderful moist conductivity
    towards the center...
    involved, inturned....

One small way of access only,
    and this close-curtained from the light.
    Sap that smells strange on your fingers,
    so that even goats won't taste it.
    And when the fig has kept her secret
    long enough...
    so it explodes, and you see,
    through the fissure, the scarlet.
    And the fig is finished, the year is over.

That's how the fig dies...
    showing her crimson
    through the purple slit.
    Like a wound...
    the exposure of her secret on the open day.
    Like a prostitute,
    the bursten fig makes a show of her secret.
    That's how women die, too.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Wowza, indeed.

Women In Love was written byD. H. Lawrence of Sons and Lovers fame.

I read the latter when I was 17, and was blown away.

Syl

• factfinder
    factfinder

I never thought of it being a fig tree. This is interesting. Could be. But did'nt the WT say there were other trees in the garden with the same fruit so Adam & Eve were not being deprived of having the fruit -they could have gotten the fig, pomegranite, orange !!! or whatever it was from other trees?

I love figs! Dates too!

What is the book of Jashir? Where is it? I see the scriptural references. It is very interesting if true that Enoch and Methusaleh helped bury Adam. I wonder when Eve died- I know we have no information on that but I wonder if she lived anywhere near as long as Adam did?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    But did'nt the WT say there were other trees in the garden with the same fruit so Adam & Eve were not being deprived of having the fruit -they could have gotten the fig, pomegranite, orange !!! or whatever it was from other trees?

I had not heard or read that, but I guess somebody could have speculated it outside the literature.

It is very interesting if true that Enoch and Methusaleh helped bury Adam. I wonder when Eve died- I know we have no information on that but I wonder if she lived anywhere near as long as Adam did?

As above, everyone is pretty much free to make any speculation they want.

BTW - Fig, Apple, Barlet Pear - that is all speculation too.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

It was a tall cannabis plant with nice sticky buds purple in color all over it and they took a bud and they ate from it and a half hour later...

Genesis 3:7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened
  • itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat
    itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat

I think rather than the fig in the tree it was the "PEAR" on the ground!!hohoho!

itsi

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

Close. It was a figment-of-the-imagination tree.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Perhaps one day I will be favored with an understanding similar to that of yours.

Of course you will, Miz Sylvie (the greatest of love and peace to you, my dear sister!). I am compelled to share the following with you, however, if you don't mind:

Your comment reminded me of a lot of folks who contact me off the board... with various "things" that they want to know. Most are with reference to themselves and their lives. They tell me that they ask and ask... but hear nothing. I recently went to our Lord because I feel as if some look to me as some kind of psychic (which I am NOT!) and so I needed to make a response to someone who had this question. I asked our Lord why ones (primarily inlaws) weren't hearing as well as they thought they should "by now." They eat and drink (occasionally) and believe they hear... but not with reference to the specific questions they ask.

His answer was, of course, sublime. He said, "Because they want to know things, child, and about things. Which have no bearing on their lives... now... or in the future. But they don't want to know ME... or about me... who can give them life. When you asked the Father for the truth, you asked for me. They, however, want to know about the things of THIS world... including where the world "is" in the stream of time, when will the "end" come. If they knew me, they would know ALL such things. For I am the One who can tell them."

I realize that "we" humans have a lot of questions, dear one. And I realize that we don't generally consider them to be easily answered. So, when the answer appears to BE... ummmm... elementary... it is often dismissed. Since it didn't take a math equation or supernatural phenomenon to reveal it, it must not be the truth. Cannot be.

But sometimes it really IS as simple as ABC-123. It really IS something even a child could grasp. With the Most Holy One of Israel, it usually is. It is the Source, however... Christ... that is what's difficult for man to grasp. Even though neither he or the Father are far off.

I bid you love and peace, as always, dear one!

YOUR servant, sister, and fellow slave of Christ,

Shel

• TD
    TD

Jgnat's comment on the difficulty of translating animal and plant terms made me think of something in relation to figs:

Habakkuk 3:17 in the AV starts off with: "Although the fig tree shall not blossom..."

The problem here is fig trees don't blossom.

Figs are a type of fruit called a syconium. --A hollow sack with multiple ovaries inside. Pollination takes place inside the fruit itself. Most cultivars today are self pollinating, but the wild forbearers were pollinated by a wasp via a tiny pinhole in the end of the fruit, so a flower was never needed to attract a pollinator.

(If we want to be really techinical, it could be said that the array of ovaries inside the fruit are an inflorescence and the fig is therefore really a flower turned wrong-side out. --But the mushy pulp inside of a fig is not what people think of when they speak of a blossom or a bloom.)

So either "blossom" is not the best translation or "fig" is not the best translation.

Some translations fix the problem like this:

"Though the fig tree does not bud..." NIV

"Fig trees may not grow figs..." NCV

"For though the fig tree may not flourish..." ASV

..And many others, including the NWT just ignore it.

• Lion Cask

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit