Why Is Toasting Wrong? Why Can't You Stand For The National Anthem?...

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Didn't the apostles cast lots to choose Judas' replacement?

(Acts 1:26) And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthias, and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

• poppers
    poppers

Well said, TD .

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Didn't the apostles cast lots to choose Judas' replacement?
    (Acts 1:26) And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthias, and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

Remember too, that the Israelite high priest had a sort of "holy dice" - (Urim & Thummim?) - which they mysteriously cast apparantly to decide certain unstated important matters. The witnesses used to suggest that this was sort of a channel to divine guidance. Of course, the modern-day GB does not need such aids - they "just know" what the holy spirit is telling them to do.

• The Finger
    The Finger

to me it seems that a God is only a god if he gets worship. Hence no putting pictures of your favourite popstars sports stars on your bedroom wall. If kneeling to Christ is obeisance then the three Hebrews could have done it and avoided the agro claiming " we were just showin respect" but they didnt. So you have a problem with Christ, if you worship him. Therefore the JW problems have always originated with their rejecting the Trinity as an explanation of the relationship of the Word to God. (Should we we stand etc.)

having said that I am enjoying some rather strong cocktails so if tomorrow I should regret what I have posted as a lot of nonsense I have an excuse. I always need an excuse.

• familycomesfirst4
    familycomesfirst4

Therevealer:

A thread like this one makes me realize that they (wt leaders) have picked out issues that guarantee that they will stand out as different. Any other reason or basis for some of these no-nos is simply not viable when put under scrutiny.

Much of what I'm finding concerning 'torture stake' seem to echo this. Especially when much of the debate on the cross/torture stake is steered by Society and JW apologists to how it's idolatry, and less on evidence or research.

I tend to struggle with an issue that is brought up from time to time on this board, namely are they victims like the general r&f or knowing participants. Some of the things that they have made into issues to cause so much anguish in the lives of the adherents suggest the latter. And the reason some just say "bastards"

This is a sticky one for me, especially with doctrines and practices that go beyond those affecting one's self such as children/no-blood and shunning. Can the 'Rank and File' be lumped together simply because they follow and hold to what they've been told (many from birth) is truth? I'm not so sure. But what about those that still go along as devout even though they've been shown proof time and time again with no sensible retort? This might further qualify.....but even still I find it hard to completely agree with.

However, I have no problem holding some of the GB to the fire.

The Finger:

What i dont understand is that standing up for the National Anthem is worship, but "every knee shall bend" to Christ isn't

That just broke my brain.

Snowbird:

The orchestra at my daughter's college played the National Anthem so beautifully that it made me choke up.
    Yeah, I said it!,
    Take that WT.
    Bastards!

That just made me bust a gut. Reminded me of one of those online videos where you have two computer/avatar characters talking to each other in computerized voices. Someone posted one made to show dialogue of someone witnessing to a JW. At the end the JW is frustrated, says "you're a goat", and walks off......I felt like I was laughing at myself on that one, but I couldn't stop laughing.

• blondie
    blondie

About the national anthem, flag salute, that all came up after 1929 when the WTS decided the "superior authorities" of Romans 13 were God and Jesus not the secular governments...in 1962 the WTS returned to the teaching that they were secular authorities again.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Now hold on, I like toast....especially whole wheat..a little butter an jelly too..

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Now hold on, I like toast....especially whole wheat..a little butter an jelly too..

This being a Minimus thread, I was just wondering why that comment had taken so long.

About the national anthem, flag salute, that all came up after 1929 when the WTS decided the "superior authorities" of Romans 13 were God and Jesus not the secular governments...in 1962 the WTS returned to the teaching that they were secular authorities again.

But the mind control doctrines associated with this were just too good to give up after 1962, right? I just thought of something - they use "superior authorities" almost exclusively to teach that JWs should pay their taxes...and yet, the Watchtower Society itself practically self-destructed their literature distribution sales because they refused to pay sales tax.

• familycomesfirst4
    familycomesfirst4
    Blondie: About the national anthem, flag salute, that all came up after 1929 when the WTS decided the "superior authorities" of Romans 13 were God and Jesus not the secular governments...in 1962 the WTS returned to the teaching that they were secular authorities again.

I can be a little slow on the uptake, but are you implying the whole issue of flag salutes/national anthem (pledge of allegiance at school?) was instituted by Rutherford because of a misinterpretation of Romans 13:1-2.......and that the Society never bothered to change or retract this stance once they correctly understood the scritpures?

If so, anything to further support this?

• familycomesfirst4
    familycomesfirst4

Nevermind, I just saw the lunacy in asking such a question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit