"I read only non-fiction..."

by patio34 19 Replies latest social entertainment

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

*you might like the Kay Scarpetta novels by Patricia Cornwell, or the Alec Delaware novels by Jonathan Kellerman. *

For some reason I don't really like Patricia Cornwall her characters are too crabby. I like funny crabby though so I prefer Jonathan Kellerman.

Of course I'm an espionage, and action fan. Robert Ludlum, Tom Clancy, Robin Cook, Micheal Crichton, Clive Cussler, MM Kaye. I LUV reading these books and have learned a lot from them.

I've also read some of Michael Crichtons non-fiction like 'Travels' & 'Five Patients' and I really did enjoy them too.

I'm with Tracy on this one lifes rough enough I like to escape it in a book. But I like books that make me think and keep me on my toes.

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

What about Dr. Seuss????

• Satanus
    Satanus

Let me think, which books have no fiction in them? The dictionary, encyclopedias. Likely everything else has some fiction mixed in. the bible, maybe 25%. Most history books probably 5-10%. Same thing in newspapers. IMHO

SS

• GoldDustWoman
    GoldDustWoman

I love to read and I am quite content to be left alone with a good book.

I also tend to read mostly non-fiction. I love historical books and biographies. The last fiction book I read was Jane Austen's Emma. However, I am always game to read anything interesting and well written, nonfiction or otherwise.

I fell in loving with reading when I was 10. I checked out my first Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle book from the school library. I read every one in the series. So, I certainly would never look down my nose at anyone who reads fiction. To each his, or her, own.

When Oprah started her book club, I decided I was going to read along.
    The first book was The Deep End of the Ocean. A very sad story of child abduction. The author had a beautiful style of writing, but I took a disliking to the main character and struggled to finish the book.

Ok, I thought to myself, I will see if I like the next book. So, then it is announced the next selection is She Come Undone. The same thing happens again. Well written, but, again, I start to dislike the very hostile main character.

I begin to notice a pattern. Oprah seems to like very depressing, sad stories. If I want sad and depressing, I certainly don't need it to be made up. Perhaps that is why I prefer satire and historical books and biographies.

Andee

Closed minds always seem to be connected to open mouths

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

I am a dedicated book worm, mostly fiction. I, too, find many of Oprah's books gloomy. So many are about such miserable, unhappy lives. But I like most books, even romance trash sometimes.
    Has anyone read Kathy Reich's books. The hero is a forensic anthropologist, so a bit of crime and a bit of forensics. Really interesting.

• waiting
    waiting

I've read a couple of Oprah's club books --Drowning Ruth was moody, but very good - btw, not a sad ending.

Another one was Backroads - about the dark side of family. I liked it as it explores incest, anger, sex, domination in children and/or versus parents. Very moving.

Of course, they're fictional stories, but a lot of reality basis, imho. Made me think. I think we all need to see the underside of the beast now and again lest we forget.

My favorite is still The Red Tent, however. Helped me visualize women of the bible - as just people, not biblical heroines. Fine book.

Fiction has the ability to twist our minds out of shape, look out in a new perspective, even if it's trivial. Depending upon the author and their research, a lot can be learned.

Like the old library add: Fiction can take us to faraway places in the world or universe. It can take us thousands of years to the future, or a millium back in time. It can get us to dream, love, cry, hate, explore.

I suspect it takes a blending of fiction/non-fiction to grow.

waiting

ps: Patio's read Fortune's Rocks - and said it was great.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I do most of my reading on the net, I suppose that's not good for your eyes, but anyway.

• waiting
    waiting

For more than one reason.......reading on the net might not be good for your eyes.

waiting

• patio34
    patio34

Gold Dust Woman, i found that to be true with Oprah's books also. I had to drag thru "Deep End of the Ocean" for the same reasons. I started "White Oleander," but it seemed depressing.

Waiting, the books you read from Oprah's sound okay.

I go thru phases: for a while i love reading novels, then i go off em for a while, then start all over again.

Thanks for all the opinions folks. It does seem as if there is a legitimate place for both fiction and non-fiction. It makes for a richer life.

Pat

"It's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the world." (from "Stuart Saves His Family")

• ballistic
    ballistic

waiting - I couldn't read your last comment; I've gone blind!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit