"I read only non-fiction..."

by patio34 19 Replies latest social entertainment

• patio34
    patio34

Hi all you wonderful folks!

I know a couple of people who made the above statement recently and got to thinking about it.

The way i see it a comparison could be made between fiction and non-fiction & art and photography.

Both have their places, but art changes the original to match what the artist sees. Sometimes it enhances the entire scene, or makes prominent a certain feature or color.

GOOD fictional literature does the same with the human experience. It can often idealize human situations or emphasize traits. It can focus on a war or historical personage and bring much enlightenment to the reader in a pleasant way, embroidering the bare facts.

Waiting also stated that science fiction books can also stimulate the imagination in a unique manner.

For what it's worth,
    Pat

"It's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the world." (from "Stuart Saves His Family")

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

Patio, I rarely read fiction. When I read a fiction book I usually stop reading it halfway through. The only fiction books that I have read and enjoyed are the Alex Cross novel by James Patterson. I supposed the reason is that fact is more interesting that fiction.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I agree with you pat. What about Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Boris Pasternak, T.S. Eliot, Kenneth Grahme, etc?

They encompass more feeling and truth than any non-fiction I've ever read.
    I think people are afraid of fiction, because they don't want to feel stupid when they don't understand the point the author is trying to make.

Non-fiction is easy, like reading a newspaper, it's all black and white.

Fiction requires deeper thought, and sometimes asks harder questions than Non-fiction could.

I also agree with the Sci-Fi statement.

ashi
    ashi

• detective
    detective

There is always a degree of fiction in non-fiction and vice-versa.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Pat:

I think fiction has a definite place in any balanced reading schedule. Reading is an excellent leisure activity as well as an educational one. Reading historical fiction when I was a nipper germinated an interest in "real" history that has provided me much enjoyment since, and continues to do so.

Having said that, I think that it's a shame that so many people confuse fictional accounts with real history. For example, on the Yahoo movies discussion boards, there were many comments about how what "a great history lesson" the movie The Patriot was. In fact from the perspective of historical accuracy, it was bilge.

This is why, imo, balance is necessary. Enjoy fiction, yes, but as entertainment only.

Expatbrit

• patio34
    patio34

Good points Expatrbrit. Mark Twain left a great legacy for exposing via fiction racism and religious folly. And many others give us a glimpse into life in other eras and locations.

Historical fiction is a good way to get some history in a pleasant way. I read "Russka" recently about the development of Russia.

Pat

"It's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the world." (from "Stuart Saves His Family")

• think41self
    think41self

I rarely read non-fiction. I figure I get enough reality in day to day life...and I get my news and current events through the media. When I do read non-fiction, it tends to be self help, motivational type books. Of those, some have had quite an impact on me.

Fiction books have also had a great impact on me. I am basically a very positive, optimistic person. I love stories involving the old struggle of good versus evil...the little person overcoming unbelievable obstacles in a triumph of the human spirit. I don't know, they just reinforce my belief in that goodness of man(as a whole). Of course, Tolkien and C.S. Lewis are favs of mine. For those of you who like those, you should try Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant Trilogies. Fascinating. I love the classics too. Charles Dickens had a command of the english language that was an art form in itself. I love sci-fi too...I think they open your mind up, and excite your imagination. I love mysteries...those are my current kick now.

Gilwarrior, if you enjoyed the Alex Cross novels by James Patterson, you might like the Kay Scarpetta novels by Patricia Cornwell, or the Alec Delaware novels by Jonathan Kellerman. One is a forensic pathologist...and the other a psychologist. I know they aren't factual in every sense of the word, but I have learned alot about those subjects reading their novels.

Basically, I just love to read. Sometimes, when I get a new book, I will deliberately make myself wait a few days to read it....ohhhhh the deliciousness of delayed gratification. Ok, now you know all my dirty little secrets.

Tracy

• larc
    larc

I generally read nonfiction. I do enjoy historical novels, if the author stays true to the historical events. One such novel in "The Frontiersman", the story of Simon Kenton, a friend of Daniel Boone. He is as noteworthy as Boone, but not given much notice. Another book by the same author is "Sorrow In Our Hearts". It was about Tecumseah, the Shawnee Indian Chief. It was so depressing, I could only read a third of it. The book had to do with the slaughter and torture of the Indians in Southern Ohio.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

To each his own, of course but to choose not to read fiction is, in my opinion, a great loss. As has been mentioned by some of these posts, there is a creativity there well worth experiencing.

• hippikon
    hippikon
    I read only non-fiction...

So the Watchtower is out!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit