so for now, I chose not to believe in anything but myself and love

That was all

/Newborn

• ziddina
    ziddina

"I find it very hard to believe in a god..."

Me, too!!!

So I just stopped believing in one!!!

As to the "theory" of evolution - I was a rockhound - that's an amateur geologist - from the age of 5 years old... I was looking at rocks and learning about them before I was a JW... LONG before I was bullied into becoming a JW...

So I have quite an advantage over most people on this board. I was finding fossils, and discerning how they relate to the age of the earth and the locations of rock strata and deposition of types of rock and so on, before my nasty JW parents started in with the 'bible' studies...

The rock records support the "theory" of evolution, I can assure you of that.

But don't take my word for it....

If you live in a state or region that is geologically diverse, consider joining a rockhound club or a geology club. Go on the field trips with them - especially when accompanied by a degreed geologist, and see what you learn...

Look around your area for the nearest impact crater, or dormant/extinct volcano, too. Those can be VERY interesting!!!

If you have "Google" Earth, you can tune in to "Discovery" channel programs, "National Geographic" programs, and so on, and follow along with the program on Google Earth.

I especially like the show, "Drain the Oceans", with Google Earth.

These suggestions are just the tip of the iceberg. Hope you have fun with them!!!

Zid

• Kinjiro
    Kinjiro

There is another possibility out there... I've been watching on the Hist Channel a series called "Ancient Aliens". It is well into its 20th chapter but I am sure you can watch them on the Net.

The best part is that these documentaries are informative and not dogmatic. And it makes you think a hell lot about "what if ..."

If you watch it and have comments, I would like to read them.

But then again, there is nothing wrong in believing in yourself and in love... I also belong to that 'religion'!!!

• faqs7719
    faqs7719

Also you can see some videos from Richard Dawkins in youtube. This year I have opened my eyes and read a lot, including God Delusion by Dawkins.

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

Newborn: Are you having difficulty rationalising the extremely low statistical probability of life being generated in the first instance (abiogenesis), or accepting evolutionary theory? They are quite different. Take some time and research abiogenesis first - there have been some excellent discussions on this board, too. Once you get past the hurdle of understanding how abiogenesis could have happened, seeking to understand the mechanism of Natural Selection in the evolution of already existing life will broaden your horizons and free you of your ambiguity.

I recommend you type "abiogenesis" in the search field of this board as a way to begin your education.

• TheLoveDoctor
    TheLoveDoctor

two books i found very interesting since believing in god just has not been sufficiant enough read the selfish gene followed by (spontainias) evolution --spell it right i can't

• Virus of the Mind: The New Science of the Meme by Richard Brodie 3.6 out of 5 stars (88) $14.82
  • Next

The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter,…
    Buy new: $14.95 $10.17
    1 Used & new from $10.17
    4.2 out of 5 stars (354)

Spontaneous Evolution: Our Positive Future and How to get There from …
    Buy new: $34.95 $23.07
    30 Used & new from $21.57
    4.5 out of 5 stars (6)
  • TheLoveDoctor
    TheLoveDoctor

by the way these books were at the lease very interesting and I believe help you to become consiouse

• tec
    tec

You don't have to choose one or the other, imho. Science is science and faith is faith. The two don't have to be incompatible - in fact they can't be; only our (mis)understanding of them can make them so.

I put my faith and life in God's hands after I stopped my study with JW's (and after I scoured the different denominations and the bible, searching for which one of them had the truth - this was exhausting and frustrating) But turning my life over to God was a great relief, and I truly felt the weight lifting from my shoulders. I just trusted Him, and I trusted His Son. I understand how that might be difficult if you have no faith, but if you have just a little, then you could ask and offer your life.

I don't think you have to force it. I'm not sure that anyone can do that... but I think anyone can take a leap of faith. Of course, believing in love is a good thing... as is living according to that love :)

Tammy

• chickpea
    chickpea

i have a hard time believeing in a god too!!

there are so many from which to choose!

seriously, scientific inquiry will build a base upon which you can stand
    as you struggle to grasp the enormity of the universe and the totally
    wonderous serendipity that gave rise to this thing we call life, out here
    in the back water galaxy, in a tiny solar system of a less than spectacular star!!

believing or not believing in a god or in gods, whatever floats your boat!

just dont let "believing" stunt the life you could "be living"

• Robert7
    Robert7

I agree with you that sometimes I have a hard time stomaching Evolution too. I think the reason that so many people do is that Evolution is in one way simple, in another very very complex and hard to grasp. Where creation simply says "god did it", end of story, (which is why I think most people pick the path of least resistance known as Creationism) Evolution has books upon books explaining details, such as fossil records, DNA, etc. (and I in no way claim to be an expert here). People spend their lives researching just aspects of evolution, like biologists and geologists.

I think the other reason Evolution may be hard to grasp is simply that we are raised with creationist beliefs, especially as JW's. So all our lives we are taught that God created everything by design, and everything HAS to have a designer, and now the idea that a life form could have evolved slowly over millions of years can be very hard to grasp.

The beauty of Evolution (versus Creationism) is that all evidence found in the world supports Evolution, and nothing shows evidence against it. Even better, scientists are open minded and are always looking for more evidence to disprove their theories, meaning knowledge is always growing.

I thought "The Blind Watchmaker" by Dawkins was good at explaining some concepts of Evolution.

I am still open-minded enough that it's not just A or B, Creation or Evolution. Never know if there are other possibilities. Great thing is that science is looking for those other possibilities.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit