Who Was Your Favorite Speaker?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

No brag, just fact---I was the most requested speaker in my Hall(s), I was often requested to give talks in KH's all over the place, not just in my area.

I personally enjoyed speakers who taught you something, not merely recited something. We had a District Overseer, Paul Illingsworth, I loved his style. He delved into Bible words of the original Greek and Hebrew. You learned something when he gave a talk.

Was there any local or regional speaker that you enjoyed??

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

William Mallenfant

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Well as a kid it was always someone who showed a slide presentation instead of a talk

But generally speaking who was my fave . . . NONE OF EM' . . . !

• minimus
    minimus

We had a VERY theatric speaker in the 70s and early 80s by the name of Manny Iana. He was so good (but clearly over the top) that in the old days you were allowed to write your own talks. He played the part of a JW talking to a born again Christian---for 1 hour! Very entertaining. He was an elder with a cult following. He's got to be in 80s now but from what I've been told still sounds the same although he was deleted years ago.

• undercover
    undercover

Foster Brooks

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I enjoyed hearing my dad, in fact, most of the people in the Congs. we were a part of enjoyed my dad. Other than him it was two Circuit Overseers: Vernon Wheeler (bald) and Ray Harriman (reminded my of the character Vincini (sp?) from The Princess Bride).

• blondie
    blondie

Even the best speaker has a hard time making BS shine...........

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Despite the personality cult surrounding him, I did also enjoy J.R. Brown's talks.

• Hadit
    Hadit

The ones that didn't show up.

Hadit

• JeffT
    JeffT

I had a couple of really good college history professors, one (I can't remember his name now) taught Latin American History and had a lot of good stories. Dr. Kennedy had worked for the CIA and taught East Asian History. Every once in while he'd say something like "I can't go into the details, but..."

Oh, you meant the Kingdom Hall. I'll have to think about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit