Why do people look to the Bible for answers when it is obvious much OLDER works exist?

by sinis 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sinis
    sinis

No, but it remains the fact that it is much older, and it becomes appearent that the Bible is a compilation (poor one at that) of plagiarizing other works of antiquity...

• Giordano
    Giordano

tec, it looks like my post wasn't entirerly correct. I thought I double checked the scource. When I have time I'll double double check.

• jam
    jam

It is suggested writing developed independently in at

least three places, Mesopotamis, Egypt and Harappa

between 3500 B.C-3100 B.C..The flood 2500-2300 B.C

Something is not adding up.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I studied Gnosticism with Elaine Pagels. My Oriental Civ. class exposed me to the Vedic works and Buddhism. It is simple for me. I am a product of my culture. Christ is the dominant figure in my culture. I freely acknowledge that if I were born in China or India or Arabia, Christ would be viewed as a worthy prophet but not God. I believe Christ is God, fully human and fully God. I grew up in NY and was exposed to many different beliefs. Outsiders always seemed to have more love than the Witnesses.

I've studied quite a bit for not doing graduate work in the field. Spirituality, how religion is applied in mundane life, is more important to me than any doctrinal dispute. As a lawyer I've exposed myself to much English history since our legal roots are there. People were executed for standing or sitting to receive communion. Does Christ truly care? I doubt it. There is always a larger geopolitical dispute brewing behind these religious claims.

Age is not an indication of wisdom. Something new could shed much light on the human condition. Once you know actual Hindus and Buddhists, it is impossible to believe Jesus will come again to destroy them and destroy them horribly. I not only know Muslims but black Muslims. My initial reaction was fear but it was soon replaced for admiration for their concern for their welfare, diet, and grace. Truth is the antidote to the "truth."

• AGuest
    AGuest

Primarily, because they believe the Bible has the answers/holds the key to the truth... including about God... dear Sinis (peace to you!). They are mistaken, unfortunately. The Bible does contain some (a little, actually) information ABOUT the Truth... and God... but it holds neither... nor provides the answers the Truth can. About himself AND God (John 14:6-11).

Again, I bid you peace!

A slave of Christ, the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit... the Truth,

SA

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Recently, I re-read the Epic of Gilgamesh which contains a flood story. There is even an ark. People said that people had some memory of the Ice Age through tales. Gilgamesh contains so many elements of the Flood Story in Genesis. It is almost creepy how common they are. I never would have thought the flood story might be factual.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

There are stories across cultures and across time worldwide that are all similar to the Cinderella story, too. That doesn't make it real or true.

There are stories of mermaids and mermen around just about every coastal culture you can think of. That doesn't make them real or true.

There are stories of dragons and unicorns across cultures and across time worldwide. That doesn't make them real or true.

There are stories in many cultures throughout time of beings that come from the sky and impregnate human women, who then bear mighty sons. That doesn't make them real or true.

Need I go on?

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The Jesus story has all of the familiar elements of a Hero story; the call, the assistants, the trials and the boon.

It is like virtually all of the tales of prophets, heroes, kings; it is embedded in ancient and popular culture and performs a function.

It is also mythical.

The difference between the Abrahamic faiths and other cultures (hindu, buddhist, etc) is that the three Abrahamic faiths insist that the stories are actual, and have no merit if they are not.

And there is the problem; it is not difficult to prove that they are mythical.

Looking at faith stories from a historical and comparative view shows the similarity.

P

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It makes sense when the similarity involves adjoining cultures. The Romans accepted the Greek gods wholesale. I'm not certain why. These stories repeat all over the world. I wonder if they don't represent psychological projections common to the human condition.

Myths can be true. I find meaning and truth in Bible stories -- and other culture's scripture. Also, I believe that the scriptures that survived served a cultural purpose or they would have been lost. The Gnostic scriptures vs. the canonical ones are illustrative. The Gnostic scriptures speak of an individual journey. Successive generations are not going to stay in the dessert. Orthodox teachings usually serve a political function.

Sometimes I read the Bible and come across what I term "wacko" side stories. They don't seem to serve the author's agenda. My impression is that no one would make this stuff up. They can be so funny without intending humor.

I always thought (and still do) that Bible writing involved a Cecil B. DeMill production. The authors had to walk around with sparkly lights. Fundamentalist act as though the Bible pre-existed and was automatically written rather than debated in great controversy many years after Jesus' death. It still shocks me how good people will believe anything if a chapter and verse is quoted. I was impressed. Despite years of study, I could not parrot chapters and verses the way Witnesses do. The text is readily available. Sustained reading is discouraged. My KH experience was of fuctionally illiterate and culturally illiterate people. The Bible humbles me. It is complex. The Four Gospel debate is illustrative. The Church Fathers were aware that the accounts differed. Ignorant smugness appalls me.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Your question also suggests that you believe that older civilizations were superior to our present age, an idea that history does not bear out.

Mankind was not a special creation of god that fell from grace. Mankind is the result of millions of years of evolution and man has progressed UPWARD from his primitive "edenic" condition as a tree-dweller (figuratively, at least).

The best answers to our problems are found, not in old books of primitive superstition but in accurate and improving knowledge of what we are and what we are capable of becoming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit