Did you play tackle football as a good little JW?

by JRK 23 Replies latest social physical

• JRK
    JRK

In my town we did. Each congregation had its own "pick up" team. We would get together and play on a chosen Sunday after the meetings. I played way too long, sort of like a Brett Favre. It ended up with a shoulder separation and a lot of pain, with a still painful rotator cuff injury.

It was a lot of fun though. If the elders had a clue, they would have sh*t their pants. Good little JW's weren't supposed to have fun.

One of my nicknames was the "Snake." I took this as a complement for a while, thinking that I was being compared to Kenny Stabler. I found out later that I got the nickname because I couldn't run, and I had no butt. We still won a lot of games with pinpoint short passing. I even ran for a few TD's, even though you could time me in the one-hundred yard dash with a calendar.

JK

• designs
    designs

Every Saturday afternoon for years. We had a lot of us as teens, 30, in our congregation and we had challenges with other congregations throughout southern California. Fun times.

• undercover
    undercover

We did. From the time I was about 13 to my early-mid 20s, we had pick-up games where we played on a local university's practice field. We played tackle most of time. Occasionally an elder would join in and we'd have to switch to 'touch' or 'flag' style.

We had injuries over the years. Broken ankles and wrists, seperated shoulders were the most common. I broke some ribs...well I didn't break them... a humongous black brother who had a hundred pounds on me slammed me like I was Tony Romo playing the Giants...he broke them.

When the injury reports started to circulate, we had to lay low and wait out the ensuing elder's inquiries before we'd get the teams back together.

Basketball wasn't much safer. We rented a gym once a week and whoever showed up pitched in to pay the rent. I prefered the college style game but apparently I was in the minority because most of the brothers tried to play NBA style. "Gimme the ball, I'm crashing the lane...I don't care that 4 guys are hanging on me and I have 3 open team mates...I'm gonna score." And then hard fouls (which were frequent and sometimes on purpose) led to arguments which on more than one occasion led to fisticuffs. Good times... until the elders clamped down on it due to the excessive "violence"...which is ironic because even though they questioned the football injuries they never did ban those games.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I am shocked!

Shocked, you hear?

Syl

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

This thread is bringing a tear to my eye. I miss those days. Excuse my language, but hell yeah we played tackle!! Couldn't imagine it any other way. Most of the kids and teenagers I played with were worldly. If there was a enough snow in the winter, we'd play tackle in the street. The fellow JWs when we got together, we'd play tackle in any random field we could find, and there were plenty. Hated recovering that night and the next morning afterwards. Muscle pulls, bruises, cuts. Although I don't ever recall breaking anything, we had a couple fights. But we'd always makeup later. No way any elders would ever find out about that either. We kept our mouths shut. Afterward playing football we'd go to any random one of our parent's homes to eat, and all the adult would be holding their noses cuz we stunk so bad.

We played basketball too. I had a couple JW friends that had Division 1 college potential. They've relayed to me in latter years, that this JW upbringing made them bitter that they never explored those oppurtunities. When we were younger, we'd played in tournaments sponsered by various companies. We weren't AND-1 material, but we did alright. When I was younger, there were always JWs that reserved or would rent a gym for brothers from all over the city to play, even brothers from outside the city showed up. It was beautiful. We'd be trying to impress the sisters that showed up to watch. I'm out of the loop nowadays, but I believe some still rent gyms. I miss those days, life as a JW meant a little bit more to me. It was something that back then I could see doing for the rest of my life, even if the new system appeared unrealistic or on a long term hiatus. The far majority of the JW fellas that I came up with, all gone. Every one of them. Thats a testimony to the leadership in this organization. If any of you Bethel monitors are reading this, do me a favor and relay a message to your superiors, you failed, miserably.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Same in our hall . The boys tried to play flag ,but tackle always ended up winning out . Over the yrs sports loving youths turned into Elders ,and they turned a blind eye to the violence most of the time....... until someones wife complained .

My husband played for way to long until he separated his collarbone . In a sling for six weeks and pain for along time cured him of contact sports . Now he is an official for High School football . He gets to enjoy the game w/o as much pain . As he just turned fifty he is starting to have knee pain after running the field all night ,and this yr one of the ref's got bulldozed by a player ,but for the most part still safer than a Sunday afternoon game with the JWs.

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

We also had a great time playing ball and traveling to play other halls. But it all came to a screeching halt when the elders gave local needs parts on it because a few did get hurt. You can get hurt doing anything, though.

You know it was a great way to blow off some off some steam and let loose if even for just a while. Take out some frustration on those other good dub pals we had.

You know in the real college and NFL players on some teams are told not to have sex or anything to chill them out before a game. JW players would have made great college or NFL players wouldn't you agree.

J

• Open mind
    Open mind

More often than not it was touch or flag. Had to keep it on the down-low from my Dad and other hard-cord keepers of the faith.

No tackle football.

No wrestling.

And of course, nothing "orgzanized" (i.e. after school, with worldlies).

om

• St George of England
    St George of England

No way!!!!

It would have meant taking time away from Boxing!

George

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Yes, played tackle football, got a screw in my finger holding my tendon in place to prove it! Someone always got injured when we played, usually I was the injurer not the injuree, except that one time...

Basketball was worse though, we would rent a GYM every Sunday night and have about 6 congregations participate. About 50 people were there on average. Elders, MS's were there too, they were the worse offenders! I've seen more elders and MS's in fist fights (no shit) than anyone else. The CO came through one year and shut it down. After he left it started back up again and the fights resumed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit