New Light on conducting meetings for Field Service

by Mad Sweeney 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

According to the Governing Body Letters blogspot, the February 2011 KM establishes a prohibition on reading the daily text at meetings for field service.

No further details are given. Anyone have theirs and can post a scan or a summary?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Now if only they can get rid of the Daily Text in its entirety. This is interesting though, however I'm wondering if we should have seen this one coming. In recent years I've noticed the Service Overseer, and Circuit Overseers pushing for the friends to expedite getting out into the ministry after arriving at the meeting point. We're expected to be out the door in 15 minutes or less from the time we meet. Not to mention brothers were using the Daily Text as a crutch, and in some cases stretching the subject to fit for field service even when the text had absolutely nothing to do with field service. My SO in particular has been really encouraging reviews of possible presentations that can be used for the magazines and Bible Teach book as opposed to routinely going over the Daily Text.

One last thing I'm wondering. Is this an extention of the GB's paranoia of the friends discussing things and raising points not sanctioned by the WT? Kind of like the book study arrangement?

• undercover
    undercover
    Not to mention brothers were using the Daily Text as a crutch, and in some cases stretching the subject to fit for field service even when the text had absolutely nothing to do with field service. My SO in particular has been really encouraging reviews of possible presentation that can be used for the magazines and Bible Teach book.

Back before I left, I remember the last CO said that the new direction from Bethel was to read the Daily Text only if it could be applied to the field ministry. That meant that the brother leading the group had to prepare...or at least glance at...the text ahead of time so he'd know whether to use it or not. A ploy to encourage Daily Text reading by elder/MS family heads no doubt...

Also, they were to demonstrate a magazine presentation at the meeting for field service. Of course, most didn't do this...they just asked what points we were planning on using at the door, putting the bulk of the thinking on us; the still half asleep, haven't looked at our bookbags since last week, zombie R&F...

• sir82
    sir82

And yet another decades-old WT tradition gets shoved out the door by GB 2.0...

I wonder if this might be some sort of precursor to another meeting adjustment?

If magazine presentations, return visit demonstrations, bible study demos, etc. all get shoved into the meeting for service, what's the point of the weekly "service meeting"?

Of course, at least 1/2 of the service meeting parts are solding lectures, "local needs" detailing the congregation's failings, and "here's a new way to shun your relatives" type talks.

Maybe they'll eliminate the service meeting & expand the school to include 1 or 2 elder-level talks where they can browbeat the sheep?

3 meetings in one night is really awkward. If they follow my suggestion they're back down to 2 with little loss of content.

Of course, all those "5 finger grip" illustrations about the importance of "all the meetings" will go right out the door then...

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I figured this would happen. Now the field service can dwell on helping the publishers to start Bible Studies. After all the org needs more members to build their empire.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Squeeze more door banging time out of the R&F. 10-15 mins is not really much time, but multiplied by, say conservatively, 2 mil JWs is 500,000 hours of "preaching time" lost in lolly gaging...

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I CALL BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember a CO telling me that EVERY daily text was field service related!

I kid you not I used to have to stretch to make crap about mariage drinking and picking zoombas out your butt tailored for field service.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

The Feb 2011 KM should be rolling out soon if not already right? I'm sure someone can scan it... I don't have one, have to be at the meetings for that!

• shepherd
    shepherd

Maybe they got the tip off from the active thread on this subject on this forum started 3 days ago! (It's always worth checking the active topics before starting a new thread on the exact same subject :))

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/203403/1/February-2011-KM-no-more-daily-text-before-service

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

is this confirmed?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit