Father Severely Abused Me

by Band on the Run 37 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The New Yorker reported Masson's findings in a lengthy series of articles. The series was very popular. The New York Times followed suit. Years later the Times ran an article where a friend of his boshed nasal surgery (the nose is a major center for nerves and Freud actively covered up the scandal. Hence, his cocaine work to treat emotional illness. The article asserted that correspondence newly came to light. My interest is not psychoanalysis but so much society was shaped by these theories.

Feminists hated Freud. I used to read feminist psychoanalytical journals in a Greenwich Village bookstore. They skewered him regarding actual abuse vs. projected fantasies. I remain an amateur in this field.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

He desewrved to be skewered. Not only was his stupid theory wrong he knew it was wrong but he caved to the medical community and to the abusers and hid the abuse.

It doesn't surprise me at all that he got into addictions like cocaine. How could he live with himself know he was such a fraud?

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

...(((((((Band on the run)))))))))) Big hugs..

Lady Lee I found your comments interesting. Especially the part about not validating their memories but to help them deal with them.

I wonder if a psychologist handles it the same way?

Thanks for sharing..

Snoozy

• Scott77
    Scott77

His mistress - mistresses - and mistreatment of his wife by [at the very least] ignoring and neglecting her - and his son - are well known, as are the facts about his alcoholism and his arrogant belief in his own 'entitlement' - shown by his desire that illegal hooch be smuggled in - apparently from Canada... His insanity - at least, that's what I'd call it - shows up very clearly in his writings... He had bizarre anti-marriage and anti-religion attitudes; he was terribly misogynistic, incredibly greedy for power, and a thorough bully... Anyone who denies these aspects of his personality, hasn't done their research.

ziddina

Hi ziddina ,

I think, you are reaching the height of your vacabulary power with candor, grace and sharpness. I could not agree more. That quoted part, to me, was very impressive.

Scott77

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I think I need to clarify this statement

As a professional working with adults who were abused as children it was never my job to validate their memories. I wasn't there to see what happened. My job was to help them deal with those memories.

A counselor's job is not to validate by investigating the accusations. We aren't the police or lawyers.

That is all I meant by the statement.

However it was my job to validate their feelings and reactions to what the remembered whether those memories could be proven in a court of law or not.

Psychologists would handle it the same way. it isn't their job to investigate the validity or truthfulness of the memories. If they are dealing with children then the information would be turned over to social services and the police to actually investigate.

Validating the accusation is a legal issue. Validating the feelings and reactions is a clinical issue

• Scott77
    Scott77
    "...From my vieiwpoint the Witnesses were primarily a religion of black women with few, highly sought after males. Girls rule! -- as do boys."
    Band on the Run

Iam asking you to expand on this statement for better clarity. I know this may raise racial sensitivity but never mind. I will compare that with my own experiences.

Scott77

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

"...From my vieiwpoint the Witnesses were primarily a religion of black women with few, highly sought after males. Girls rule! -- as do boys."
    Band on the Run

Maybe in some places but not anywhere I have ever been

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

We lived in an blighted city near NY. The same town Tony Soprano grew up in. The folks who lived on the hill owned homes, some modest, some majestic. When most of the city became black, white flight took place. When I attended KH with my aunt, it was primarily white. We were zoned into a true poverty zone. The largest bastion of Witnesses lived down hill in a housing project. Going door to door I was exposed to very ugly life. I associated the Witnesses with poverty and not even trying to do well in school.

The leading brothers in my KH could not read at a fifth grade level. We owned a very modest home. The local KH ignored my father until they needed money. I was dressed in rags and very self conscious. The welfare Witnesses had quite a wardrobe. I resented it. There were few brothers. Almost all were women receiving Aid for Dependent Children. Perhaps one of them had children in wedlock.

I thought of any excuse to attend another KH where there were married couples and pleasant surroundings. All the kids I grew up with were dedicated at thirteen and disfellowshipped for sexual immoraltiy within four years. My family went on a tour of Massachusetts Kingdom Halls which my uncle, who was a photographer at Bethel, photographed. We peered inside halls. I saw nice tiles and even stadium seating with nice padded chairs. A roomful of grey folding chairs bothers me to this day.

Honestly, I saw no manly men. The children were in desperate need of male role models. To make the racial matters worse, the overseer was white, his deputy was white and we were white. End of tale.

The individual brothers and sisters were mostly nice, meek and even caring. The pathology of their prior lives followed them. Any man who breathed could go far. My father was quite taken with being male. He did not act like a man. Men cowboy up and assume responsibility. a man would kick dogs in the head equally. My father never kicked rotweillers or shepherds in the head. He never picked on a man bigger than he. By society's standards of livlihood, he was no man. Rather, he was a baby. My uncle, his closest friend at Bethel, married my aunt. They had a wonderful marriage. Since they had no children, they played integral roles in the lives of nieces and nephews. They were afraid of their own shadows. Yet he was manly. He ordered his life with dignity. He had hobbies. The family dog we acquired after my father died, loved him. He took her for her own private car rides on Saturdays. He was no doctor, lawyer or Indian chief, but his character was outstanding. He was a man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit