Do You Believe Your Government or Political Party Affiliation Is Righteous?

by minimus 19 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I know some that tout their government as being blameless, wonderful, and almost perfect. Whether you are considered a "liberal" or "conservative", it seems that some are "true believers" in their cause.

Personally, I'm disillusioned with politics although I'm always interested and fascinated by ideology and personalities.

I think ALL governments are unrighteous. I think some individuals mean well but the higher in government that you are, the more soiled you become.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Politics is the art of convincing people that bullshit tastes good and should be swallowed enthusiatically.

W

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've pretty much consigned organized politics to the same trash can as organized religion. I still care a lot about the subject, but I'm not willing to follow anybody else on any issue without my own investigation.

• minimus
    minimus

Some are so rabid.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I am always confused that many who trust government and "progressive politics" to solve all problems (medical, social, economic, etc.) are very distrustful (even hostile) to corporations, capitalists, the "rich" - and so on.

What, really, is the difference between the two?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I like the last thought in your opening post Min as I believe that some do really try, and probably most who've gotten into politics had honorable intentions. The goverment is just too big, and beuracratic, and problems in life are too complex. It's to the point that even the most honorable of people that get involved with politics end up having to play the game. This two party system doesn't help matters. And even the spin off parties are like unwanted bastard children. Politics are what makes me wonder if the WT, or other fringe groups might be onto something. Maybe they figured it out before the rest of us hopeful types. The cynical side of me looks at the thread question as an oxymoron.

• minimus
    minimus

You can't trust anyone or thing to solve all problems---except for God's Kingdom!.....sorry that just kicked in!

• james_woods
    james_woods
    You can't trust anyone or thing to solve all problems---except for God's Kingdom!.....sorry that just kicked in!

Ha! Guess what I was just thinking when you posted that? - I can (but won't) name a handful of political posters here who have practically substituted their particular brand of political thought for religion. Most of them are never found posting anything about the JW religion, or any other religious subject - only on the political threads. In those posts, they are absolutely sure of their righteousness - and equally sure that everyone else is an idiot. Could this be a symptom (a random, rather than a universal one) of leaving the witnesses?

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

No, the government and/or political party can't be rightous, but they can be well intentioned. They can even be well intentioned and wrong. It's an opinion. You have a basic outlook, that in principle, you agree with. At best, that's all it can be, I think.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    No, the government and/or political party can't be rightous, but they can be well intentioned. They can even be well intentioned and wrong. It's an opinion. You have a basic outlook, that in principle, you agree with. At best, that's all it can be, I think.

Agreed - that is the BEST it can be. None are perfect, some are better than others at one time or another. The U.S.A. makes mistakes, but has been one of the best for over 200 years. But the U.S. does need to get its financial house in order, the first among other things.

At its worst - Stalinism, Naziism, China under Mao, Pol Pot, NK now, and so on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit