Blood Sausage; Blood Pudding. Ever try them?

by Open mind 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

Did you enjoy it?

Do you recommend it from a purely culinary perspective?

om

• Gregor
    Gregor

I have tried blood sausage. While I really like some strong organ flavors, like liver, I didn't like the strong iron flavor of the blood.

PS To be truthful, there is a "ick" factor, for me also. Plus, I don't want to lose my chance at everlasting life.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I can't even get past the sound of it. I refuse. Maybe that's the JW side of me talking, I don't know. Watching Anthony Bourdain on No Reservations eat them, I just couldn't get past the thought of what they were. I usually love looking at what he's chomping on, and I'd love to hang out with him one day, but I have to pass on blood products. Uggk!

• I<3MYGod
    I<3MYGod

It has nothing to do with the whole no blood brew-ha-ha....I just think it sounds nasty. So no, I haven't tried it nor do I think I ever will.

• mouthy
    mouthy

before I was a JW I used to eat both!!! Must confess stopped on the orders of the "evil slave"
    Now I live alone & dont eat much ...I havent had it since they kicked me out. Only remembered this
    on reading your post

• blondie
    blondie

I grew up in Germany and had no desire to eat it...only old men ate it...bad breath...yuck.

It's right up there with menudo and headcheese.

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&biw=1007&bih=583&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=headcheese&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

• chickpea
    chickpea

in a chip shop in trafford (greater manchester, england)
    full english brekkie.... once was enough for me

btw, it was called black pudding, not blood pudding

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Gross. I can't stand anything organy tasting. I'd rather eat a camel's hump.....which I have.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I have eaten it in Thailand. Once in the north (pig's organs and blood) rather tasty if you didn't think too much and once in the south in a soup. This was clotted balls. Not bad. Also on the menu was monkey and an endangered species, barking deer. The heading on the menu was "fruits of the forest".....

• Open mind
    Open mind

I don't know if it's my born-in JW upbringing or just my innate sensibilties but Gregor's words ring true with me:

To be truthful, there is a "ick" factor,

On one level this is irrational. I should probably cut down on my red meat intake, but I REALLY enjoy tucking into a really good, medium-rare "juicy" (translation: bloody) steak from time to time. But it doesn't "ick" me out in the least. However, talk about blood sausage or black pudding and I have NO desire whatsoever to partake. This makes no sense. But I don't see myself diving into a blood sausage anytime in the forseeable future.

FWIW, I love to indulge in buying a lottery ticket or saying "Have a nice Christmas" to a co-worker just to flip the bird to the Watchtower. But when it comes to eating blood, I thing I'll stay a good JW.

Blech.

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit