I've made the eye laser operation and I can highly recommend it!

by Newborn 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I've had glasses since I was 7. I have strong myopia with astigmatism, and I wear pretty thick (as thin as I can get it) glasses with progressive lenses and prisms to help reduce my diplopia. I don't think I can get rid of glasses entirely on account of the diplopia. I have been kind of chicken to check out Lasik but I also wonder if getting rid of myopia means that I would no longer to have really great vision for reading things very tiny very close up. I do like having that. Plus I think I look better in glasses. :) But I would like to have thinner glasses and especially so I could wear glasses that are rimless on the bottom.

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

Lasik eye surgery has a 95% satisfaction rate. Put another way, for every 20 people who get it done, one regrets it. I'm waiting for the odds to improve before I give up my glasses.

http://www.laser-eye-surgery-statistics.com/lasik-success-rate-lasik-20-20.php

• bohm
    bohm

Welcome, Lion Cask!

• AGuest
    AGuest

Peace to you all! I live in the SF Bay area where elective and "cosmetic" surgery abounds, so my procedure cost $1,500 ($750/eye). That used to be the "Sunday paper special" price; now, it's pretty much the norm (so, you might consider booking an appt. if you're ever in the area!). My procedure did not correct my far-sightedness, so I still need reading glasses; however, my understanding is that the latest procedures DO correct both near AND far-sightedness (at least, that's what recent commercials are now touting).

I understand the "yuck" factor and fear associated with having someone do anything near, let alone to, your eyes. And that there are always exceptions to the rule (i.e., "problems"). But it is one of the best things I've ever done. I don't know if I could have said that if I'd had it done 5 or more years before, because it seems that it's gotten safer and more reliable over the years (which is why I waited, actually). One website I checked said that patients' vision seemed to improve and complaints decrease as a doctor does more and more procedures. I think I have to agree with that.

So, I would recommend finding out just how many procedures the doctor has done when choosing to move forward. Mine had done more than 10,000 by the time I saw him, so... I would shoot for that kind of number.

Again, peace to you all!

A slave of Christ,

SA, on her own...

P.S. Have you tried "indexing" dear Leolaia (peace to you!). It can be expensive but your lens end up about 1/3 the regular thickness and I believe you can do rimless, then...

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I have astigmatism in both eyes...it was $5,000 U.S. Dollars, but they do a no-interest payment plan. So it was pretty much like $130 per month. But then I had a really good couple months at my business and paid it all off. Be careful with those no-interest payment plans though...if you're even a day late, the interest jumps to 20%

• whereami
    whereami

Thanks for all the info Newborn!!!

Also helped reading everyones experiences on it. Much better than those made up experiences in the ASSembly.

Thanks everyone.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Have you tried "indexing" dear Leolaia (peace to you!). It can be expensive but your lens end up about 1/3 the regular thickness and I believe you can do rimless, then...

Last time I tried to get glasses the optometrist said it wasn't possible to get rimless with prisms AND progressive, but maybe that is bad information. I also get Irlen tinting and I know they don't do that with hi-index. But I always have an untinted pair and maybe that one could be rimless. I am wearing my old semi-rimless right now which is BAD because I got it in 1998 about two or three prescriptions ago, but I like how I look in it.

<---- These glasses.

• Newborn
    Newborn

looks fab!

• AGuest
    AGuest

I like how you look, too, dear one (peace!)!! Whoo-hoo, girl! By the way, how old are you? I will be looking for a wife for my son, one day (not really, but I'm not above introducing him to someone... ummmm... "appropriate" LOLOLOLOLOL! ) and I think your brain is as "beautiful" as your photo! He's 28, but he does go in for older women, if you're above that (you look mid-20s to early 30's, so...)

Oh, ummmm... back to the topic: seems to me that if they can make the bottom rimless, why not the whole thing? Are your lens glass? That might be the thing. I had to go with the "plexi-glass" stuff, due to the weight and they seemed to be able to drill holes in that stuff with NO problems.

Anyway, lookin' good, Ms. Leolaia! Peace to you and thanks for the pic!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA, who really wouldn't pick a wife for her son... he wouldn't let me anyway... on her own...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL I'm 40 now...and yeah I got a guy :) I always seem to look a bit younger than my age; when I was 28 I did the "Beat the Guesser" thing down at Santa Cruz Broadwalk and the guy guessed "17". The downside of course is that people take you less seriously when you look younger. Anyway, I don't like rims because they box in my eyes and I like to leave the space open between my cheeks and eyes. My niece (she's 10) however criticized my glasses recently; she wears horn-rimmed frames. I guess I don't have the trendy look. :)

I have plastic lenses; I'd never use thicker glass. But I think I will be getting a new prescription next year so I may revisit this. Would love to reuse the old frames. And if Lasik can reduce the strength of the prescription, maybe I might consider it. Maybe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit