Why do JW's only pick on Birthdays, Holidays, when so many other things are pagan

by Joliette 47 Replies latest jw friends

• DanaBug
    DanaBug
    Lady Liberty gave me this one to think about in regard to Jesus being born on Dec 25 some cultures honor the day one was conceived not born as their birthday. If you take what most JW believe Jesus was born on October 3 or 4 for what many JW's say. So count back nine months from the end of December and you get the first of October. If Jehovah impregnated Mary then he knows what day it was. Maybe it was December 25th and the JW are blaspheming God by not celebrating the day he choose to put his son here on earth in the smallest of forms.

I've also read that there was a concept that a prophet is concieved on the same day he died. I can't remember if it was Jewish or North African Christians. Anyway, if Jesus was concieved on the day he died counting back you get December 25 or January 6, which also has something to do with the 12 days of Christmas, but I don't remember exactly.

Yeah, I agree, the hating on pagan holidays is just a way to make them stick out as different. I recently went to a Christmas cantata at a Methodist church. It was so beautiful. Listening to the song about his name being immanuel, God is with us, I finally got the feeling behind it, why Christmas is so important to Christians. Why wouldn't you celebrate the day your saviour was born?

• IMHO
    IMHO

I havn't heard that lipstick was pagan but I did here the origin goes back to prostitutes who wanted to make their lips red to mimic their genitalia that become reddish when ready for action.

• Newborn
    Newborn

Does anything make sense in this religion??

They have answers for everything...why do they wear wedding rings for ex?? it's pagan!!

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Quite simply, the WT bans its members from all social activities that involve mixing with non-JWs...under the guise of paganism. This starts at childhood and continues into adulthood- as is the case of b-day sand holidays. They allow wedding anniversaries because they involve the couple, and maybe close friends- presumably other JWs.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

You all already know the origins of these "holy days" that are not really holy at all.

How do you feel eating turkey for Thanksgiving knowing how the governing institutions really treated them? Giving them blankets infected with small pox so they could kill them off and take their land? Or years later still laughing at them for trading land for bead trinkets because it was something new to them? When you celebrate it, the blood is on your hands, too.

How do you feel celebrating 4th of July when you know that fireworks are intended to symbolize the noise and flash of bombs and guns and that people were killed in these wars? When you celebrate it the blood is on your hands, too.

Birthdays represent self-glorification.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Cameo-D, are you describing the JW view or your own?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

My own view.

I think it somewhat does coinside with the WT view, but my reasons are different.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Ok, each is entitled to their own view.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Why not do it another day?

This is a good example of how JWs are taught to discuss things with outsiders and attempt to make their odd beliefs seem reasonable. Your mother was being deceptive even if she didn't know that was what she was doing. If you said "Ok, why not another day? Let's pick a day and we'll do it" she would be forced to back track because the day isn't the issue. The Watchtower just doesn't want their followers celebrating the birth of Jesus. I think the Watchtower views Jesus as someone that has to be kept in his place. Just look at what they have done to the simple celebration of Christian communion. They've turned it into a yearly event where JWs gather together and essentially thumb their noses at Jesus refusing the offer.

Another reason is that they don't want their follower participating anything that has a community spirit and would bring them closer to none JWs. Cults are all about separation and control.

• I quit!
    I quit!

WTWizard said:

"Additionally, the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger is hellbent on depriving children of anything to set one year off from others. Christmas and birthdays are always eagerly looked forward to by children. Try lighting a small tree where children are around and see what happens. Even back in the days when a "lit" Christmas tree meant putting a measly 35 C7 bulbs on a 6-foot tree, it was still spectacular to me when it went up. Getting that Wish Book out, the annual trips, the big shopping deal, seeing the Christmas cards coming in and being displayed, and finally the big day of getting up early to check my stocking and open the presents under the tree meant something to me."

Scrooge was pretty much a lightweight compared to the morons (the Curmudgeon Class) that run the Watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit