Should Meat Be Eaten on Friday?

by GrandmaJones 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I found this great article while browsing through the old cd-rom and I wondered how it would go over with some of my friends and relatives? It asks penetrating questions that all honest-hearted ones should be willing to answer, don't you think? My comments (I am trying to do the fair use thing correctly) are in red.

Should

Meat Be Eaten on Friday?

FOR centuries Catholics abstained from eating meat on Fridays. It was a Church law. Many sincerely believed it was a law of Almighty God. But now this has changed. (Changed? do you mean like the teachings of the Watchtower change? How can teachings change?)

The fact is that the meatless-Friday rule was made an obligation only some 1,100 years ago. Pope Nicholas I (858-867) was the one who put it into effect. And how vital was it considered that Catholics abide by this rule? (Do you mean it wasn't god who made the rule? Who is the pope to be making rules now?)

A publication that bears the Catholic imprimatur, indicating approval, states: “The Catholic Church says that it is a mortal sin for a Catholic to eat meat on Friday knowingly and wilfully, without a sufficiently grave and excusing reason.” It adds: The “Church says that if a man dies in unrepented mortal sin, he will go to hell.”—RadioReplies, Rumble and Carty (1938). (An imprimatur? Is it an okay publication to read? Is this like being approved by Brooklyn?)Thus the devout carefully avoided eating meat on Fridays. They sincerely believed that failure to obey could lead to their eternal punishment in a fiery hell. (Now that's just crazy. Surely the pope was only consigning them to Gehenna like the WT?)

But then, early in 1966, Pope Paul VI authorized local Church officials to modify this abstinence requirement in their countries as they saw fit. The pope was acting in line with recommendations made at the recently completed Second Vatican Council. Thus, in one country after another, meatless Fridays were virtually abolished—in France, Canada, Italy, Mexico, the United States, and so on. (Could they eat meat now as a matter of conscience? Is this like blood fractions? Is this now a matter between you and your local elders?)

The Effect

The effect upon many devout Catholics has been devastating. “All these years I thought it was a sin to eat meat,” explained a housewife in the midwestern United States. “Now I suddenly find out it isn’t a sin. That’s hard to understand.” (It is, isn't it? All this time I thought it was a sin to take blood.)

If you are a Catholic, can you understand how a practice that was considered by the Church a “mortal sin” can suddenly be approved? if it was a sin five years ago, why is it not today? Many Catholics cannot understand. (but Jehovah's Witnesses understand...)

When a woman in Canada was asked how she felt about the changes in her church, she replied: “I don’t know. Maybe you can tell me. What are they going to do with all those people sent to hell for eating meat on Friday?” (Do you get undisfellowshipped?)

Not just a few Catholics have asked such questions. The change in teaching has shaken their confidence in the Church. Would you not feel the same way if what you had always been taught to be vital for salvation was suddenly considered unnecessary? Would you not be inclined to question other teachings of your church also? (Not if it were explained as "new light". Someone needs to tell the pope about "new light"!)

The Catholic Church, however, has not completely changed its position on Friday meat abstinence. Even now Catholics are still required to abstain from eating meat on “Good Friday.” Also, in some places they must not eat meat on Fridays during the Lenten season. (I understand...The Jehovah's Witnesses have not completely changed their position on blood, even now they are required to abstain in some instances, using only "fractions".)

But why is it considered wrong to eat meat on “Good Friday,” but permissible to do so on other Fridays of the year? It has caused thinking persons to wonder. (Yes, it has.)

Many persons have begun to ask questions regarding the basis for this teaching, as well as about other Church teachings. And what especially disturbs them is that they have not received satisfying answers. (Really, the Catholics should be obliged to provide satisfying answers, don't you think?)

What Becomes Evident

The inability of the Church to explain its position Scripturally makes evident an important fact: The Catholic Church has not based its teachings upon what God’s Word says. Rather, it has founded many of its beliefs and practices on the unstable traditions of men. (Those popes were very unstable, you just couldn't trust'em, the Catholics should really have been looking closer at the bible!)

This is obviously true with regard to Friday meat abstinence. For, look as you may, nowhere in the Bible will you find that Christians were ever instructed to refrain from eating meat on any Friday of the year, or on any other day. It is not a requirement of God. In fact, the Catholic edition of the Revised Standard Version Bible says that enjoining or commanding “abstinence from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving” is an evidence of a departure from the faith.—1 Tim. 4:1-4. (See? They should have only been observing the requirements actually in the bible!)

Thus, many truth-seekers are having their eyes opened to see that the Catholic Church has not been holding strictly to God’s Word. And they are wondering whether any religion that does not do so is worthy of their confidence and support. (Yeah, those Catholics should wonder. It's important to notice if the Church is not holding strictly to God's word.)

Speaking for myself, I am glad we were able to help the Catholics see this....

• life is to short
    life is to short

Right on Grandma Jones. I loved your point here (Not if it were explained as "new light". Someone needs to tell the pope about "new light"!)

Thanks so much for finding this and sharing it.

LITS

• life is to short
    life is to short

btt I thought this was such a great post.

LITS

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

How can teachings change?

Catholic teachings change. JW teaching change. Even medical teachings change. Today they give us blood transfusions, while a few hundred years ago they used leeches to suck it out.

My opinion? Everyone is full of crap, and I won't put faith into anything I can't personally verify.

W

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Hi GrandmaJones!

I've been trying to find this article because the hypocrisy is truly jarring. I remembered there being all kinds of derisive comments about this change in catholic doctrine but had a hell of a time finding the WT take on it. Thanks for posting this!!

What was the date on the article?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yes this is an excellent article.

Now if only the Pope would change a teaching to a new understanding, and then change it back again, AND THEN change it to a new understanding entirely. It would be hilarious to see the Society bitch about that.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

It was the Awake, 4/22/1970

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The RCC openly states that many of their doctrines and tradtions are "man made".

I don't recall the WT doing that...

• cantleave
  • poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

It was the Awake, 4/22/1970

Thanks darlin - oh and your comments are awesome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit