7th Day Adventists came to my house... it was weird

by sabastious 31 Replies latest jw friends

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

I've never had any 7th day Aventist, but we always get some salvation army folk. Their main aim is collecting for charity obviously, but our local ones also leave a scripture on a sheet and invite me round for tea and cake. They really are a kind bunch, so different from the witnesses. If I wasn't an Athiest I would probably go along.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Are you sure they were real SDAs and not some scammers?

Could be, seemed legit though.

-Sab

• jam
    jam

definitely A scam, asking for spare change . I enjoy when the Mormons come around,

they always ask if I need any work done around the house. Hell yes, cut the grass.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I have only once received a visit from the Seventh Day Adventists. This was nearly 30 years ago, and they were calling in at every house in the street, asking for donations. (Not that they got one razoo out of me!)

Bill.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It must be nearly 20 years since I had an SDA at my door here in NZ.

When it did happen they gave me a spiel that made them sound like a government department involved in children's welfare.

When I worked out who they were they got a lecture on honesty.

• looloo
    looloo

there was one in my home town who looked like a tramp and would stand in the town centre with a billboard announcing the end of the world ! i often wondered what witnesses made of him ! they probably thought he was bonkers !!!! lol

• sabastious
    sabastious
    definitely A scam, asking for spare change .

Crappy con artists if they only do it to steal spare change :)

-Sab

• Heaven
    Heaven

They sound kinda desperate, imo.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    They sound kinda desperate, imo.

The information revolution should be taking it's toll on all cults including SDA.

-Sab

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I attended an SDA church for a short while as a teenager. While they rarely went from house to house for proselytizing purposes, they would have a special campaign that they called "Ingathering" around Christmas and Easter times, during which they would go from house to house in order to solicit funds for their schools and hospitals. They did carry pamphlets that they would distribute, though I think they related more to the social programs of the church than doctrinal matters. IIRC, they may have contained the standard SDA "free Bible correspondence course" offer. I took part in the work a few times myself, and as I recall, it was a lot more fun than going out in field service as a JW. My guess is that the "Ingathering" program, or something very like it, is still alive and well. That was probably the reason that the SDA knocked at your door.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit