If society UPHELD the pagan origins of umbrellas would the R and F obey?

by Botzwana 26 Replies latest jw friends

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Umbrellas are undoubtedly pagan. They have also been used as weapons.

Worse that this, umbrellas have been used to promote loose conduct.

ARTIST: The Hollies
    TITLE: Bus Stop

Bus stop, wet day, she's there I say
    Please share my umbrella
    Bus stop, bus go, she stays love grows
    Under my umbrella
    All that summer we enjoyed it
    Wind and rain and shine
    That umbrella we employed it
    By August she was mine.

And what about Rihanna’s Umbrella song which is all about the Devil?

"The first thing that you need to know about the song’s lyrics is that Rihanna sings the whole song but she actually takes on two roles. During the first half of the song, she plays the role of an evil entity that is trying to seduce and possess Rihanna. For the purpose of this analysis we’ll call this entity the Devil. The second role she plays is herself. So the song is basically a dialog between the Devil and Rihanna." (From the web)

I have burnt my umbrella already. All Jehovah's Witnesses should do the same if they want to remain pure in Jehovah's eyes.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Argh... The ultimate irony in all of the Watchtower's inconsistencies about "pagan" origins - well, about ANY Christian's complaints about "pagan" origins, is that the bible ITSELF is comprised of "pagan" beliefs!!! ....

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    *** w09 10/15 pp. 15-16 par. 15 “You Are My Friends” ***
    Read Matthew 25:31-40. Jesus called those who would make up the faithful slave class his brothers. In the illustration about the separating of the sheep from the goats, Jesus clearly states that he takes personally the way we treat his brothers. In fact, he said that the determining factor that would distinguish a sheep from a goat would be the way an individual treated even “the least of these [his] brothers.” Therefore, the primary way that those with the earthly hope demonstrate their desire to be friends with Christ is by supporting the faithful slave class

This is so wrong on so many levels...

Where in matthew is a Faithful slave CLASS mentioned at all? any where?

As for Matthew 25: 31, when was the last time a JW did ANY of what is mentioned there ??

Jesus tells the people that whatever they do and how they treat Jesus's "adelphos" is how they treat him.

Adelphos means:

1) a brother, whether born of the same two parents or only of the same father or mother

2) having the same national ancestor, belonging to the same people, or countryman

3) any fellow or man

4) a fellow believer, united to another by the bond of affection

5) an associate in employment or office

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Jesus never used an umbrella. Paul never used an umbrella. Obviously, only pagans would use umbrellas.

Genuine Christians never carry umbrellas or wear pants.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Genuine Christians never carry umbrellas or wear pants.

I feel better knowing that.

*pulls off pants*

• pirata
    pirata

Thanks to Botzwana for creating the thread. I had originally mentioned this as a minor point in another thread about pagan origin inconsistencies, but didn't dawn on me that it's a relativley new inconsistency. I only found it because I was bored one day, had the WT Library open, and typed in the first thing I saw, which was an 'umbrella' that was lying around.

• TD
    TD

...and don't forget that Hagrid (from Harry Potter) had the core of his wand embedded in an umbrella, so that makes them demonic as well!

Seriously though. I've never understood why JW's on one hand believe Paul taught that pagan defilement is meaningless as long as you don't actually believe in the pagan god (1 Cor. 8:4) but on the other hand, teach that fairly obscure pagan connections make some holidays objectionable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit