If society UPHELD the pagan origins of umbrellas would the R and F obey?

by Botzwana 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

If the society said that umbrellas were indeed pagan, because their origins are, and you would be dfed if you used one do you think the rank and file would obey? Or do you think THAT would push them over the edge? I can just see the wealthy witness woman you know, the REAL pretentious ones not going out when it rains etc.

• Ding
    Ding

Absolutely.

Whatever the FDS says...

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I hope they do it!

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Umbrellas are pagan??? Please enlighten.

• pirata
    pirata

*** g03 7/22 pp. 18-19 “Don’t Forget Your Brolly!” ***
    A Distinguished History
    The first umbrellas evidently had nothing to do with rain. They were emblems of rank and honor, reserved for important people. Sculptures and paintings thousands of years old from Assyria, Egypt, Persia, and India show servants holding sunshades over rulers to protect them from the sun. In Assyria, only the king was allowed to have an umbrella.
    Down through history the umbrella continued to represent power, especially in Asia. A ruler’s status increased according to the number of umbrellas he owned, as shown by a Burmese king who was called Lord of the Twenty-Four Umbrellas. Sometimes the number of tiers was important. The umbrella of the emperor of China had four tiers, and the king of Siam’s had seven or nine. Even today the umbrella remains a symbol of authority in some Oriental and African countries. Religious Umbrellas
    Early in its history, the umbrella became associated with religion. The ancient Egyptians thought that the goddess Nut sheltered the whole earth with her body, just like an umbrella. So people walked under their own portable “roofs” to receive her protection. In India and China, people believed that an open umbrella represented the vault of heaven. Early Buddhists used it as a symbol for the Buddha, and domes of their monuments are often surmounted by umbrellas. Umbrellas feature in Hinduism too.
    Umbrellas spread to Greece by 500 B.C.E., where they were carried over images of gods and goddesses at religious festivals. Athenian women had servants carry a sunshade over them, but few men would use such an object. From Greece the custom spread to Rome.
    The Roman Catholic Church included the umbrella in its ceremonial regalia. The pope began to appear under a red and yellow striped silk model, while cardinals and bishops had violet or green versions. Basilicas to this day have a chair for the pope with an ombrellone, or umbrella, over it in the papal colors. The cardinal who acts as head of the church between the death of one pope and the election of the next also has an ombrellone as his personal emblem during that time.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Umbrellas are PAGAN???????????????

Damn....

It's a good thing that I own several of them... And incorporate umbrellas into my "dragon" costumes - see my "Gravatar" for pix of my first Dragon costume... How fitting...

Zid

• sabastious
    sabastious

I am for banning umbrellas I mean, look at this picture!

Clearly demonic

-Sab

• james_woods
    james_woods

Mary Poppins had an umbrella that could make her fly. This is clearly demonism, not just paganism.

So, this is just as dangerous as smoking tobacco - which is also demonism (through being druggery).

The implications for true christians are obvious...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jehovah`s Witness`s are Trained Seals..

They will do whatever the WBT$ says..

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_iUpoNBZyaBc/SNv-17jzTwI/AAAAAAAACk0/7_uGhizb23s/s320/Trained+seal.jpg

........................... ...OUTLAW

• pirata

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit