Woman Whipped In Public For Wearing Trousers.

by whereami 17 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I'm certain that the investigation will be at least as successful as O.J. Simpson's hunt for the "real" killers.

Sudan Investigates. . .

Sudan's judiciary has launched an investigation into the public flogging of a woman after footage of her being whipped by laughing policemen was posted to the internet.

The YouTube video shows an unidentified woman in a long black dress and a headscarf being ordered to sit down in a parking lot (Warning: Video contains graphic images of violence some may find disturbing).

A uniformed policeman proceeds to whip her all over her body as she screams in pain. A second officer laughs when he realises he is being filmed, before joining in the punishment, which lasts a minute and a half.

Flogging is relatively common is northern Sudan, where sharia law is often enforced arbitrarily. But the cruel, nonchalant behaviour of the security forces amid the distress of the victim in this case caused a stir in the country and the diaspora, and even attracted condemnation in some pro-government newspapers.

Initially Sudan's deputy police chief, Adel Al-Agib, tried to downplay the incident, saying that the footage was circulated in order to damage the image of the country, according to the Sudan Tribune newspaper.

But the judicial authority, which oversees the legal system, released a statement yesterday saying it had launched an official inquiry to see if the punishment had been administered improperly.

. . .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/13/sudan-woman-flogged-youtube

• whereami
    whereami

This is truely abhorrent!!!!!! There are no words to describe these vermin. How can anyone support this faith is beyond me.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Gotta love what happens when men get a little power in the name of God.

At least she's in good company...

http://chattahbox.com/world/2009/07/29/sudanese-woman-defies-islamic-regime-wears-pants-to-court/

and also...

Joan of Arc, convicted of wearing trousers and saying the Catholic Church wasn't "the channel," 14 months of torture, took it all back...but then started wearing trousers again so she wouldn't be raped in prison.

...burned at the stake for "resuming" her heresey of wearing trousers.

It's so nice to be religion free. ;)

http://www.emayzine.com/lectures/joanarc.html

After 14 months of interrogation, she was accused of wrongdoing in wearing masculine dress and of heresy for believing she was directly responsible to God rather than to the Roman Catholic church.

The court condemned her to death, but she penitently confessed her errors, and the sentence was commuted to life imprisonment.

Because she resumed masculine dress after returning to jail, she was condemned again—this time by a secular court—

and, on May 30, 1431, Joan was burned at the stake in the Old Market Square at Rouen as a relapsed heretic.

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

Wow Justitia hit the nail on the head and brought some balance to this discussion.

Can you imagine, living in a time period where many surrounding nations around the world had made great progress in gender reform - things like giving women rights to vote, and own property, and seek independent careers on an equal level with men - and to have been treated like Joan of Arc?!! Oh wait - that was 1431 - the world wasn't that way then. Still, lets compare what happened to women over 500 years ago in just about any religion, with what still happens all the time in one religion today. That way - people won't think so bad about muslims.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Christianity and Islam may preach peace, but their followers were always violent. In fact, all religions cause violence and when all religions will be dead (and they will, someday), there will be more peace.

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

History and countries like Iran teach us that a theocracy is the worst, absolute worst form of government possible. Even despotism is better.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I think the rules are that they are not supposed to wear anything at all under that big moo-moo dress.

I knew a Muslim lady and had several conversations with her. One day she visited me in the hot August sun was wearing one of those dresses--black, long sleeves, down to her ankles and I asked her if she wasn't burning up hot. She told me that they do not wear bras or panties or anything underneath and because it is not tight fitting the air flow keeps them cool. And even through the material is black it a natural material with a weave that allows air flow.

Maybe the lady that got a whuppin wore pants because she was cold. Or maybe her man was ticked because she was not (ahem) accessible.

Here are some folks that really need a beating over their fashion statements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX86viXrV_4

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Joan of Arc lived centuries ago during the Middle Ages. This news report is of a recent incident.

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit