Contradictions, should we really care?

by garyneal 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal

I'm not sure if the title is appropriate but I figured I'd point out some contradictions I see in Jehovah's Witnesses like my wife and I often ask myself why should I care when obviously she does not? The motivation to 'fit in' with the people who you believe 'have the truth' is a strong one and facts are rendered powerless since in the end I get asked, "So what do you have that is better?" But like Morpheous on the movie, The Matrix, all I have to offer is the truth.

Examining some of the contradictions that my wife tends to ignore or somehow gloss over:

It is important that holiday celebrations take into account the origins of the holiday, we cannot just look at how is it viewed today. However, it is okay for witnesses to disregard old light from the Watchtower.

I focus too much on doctrine when examining the witness religion when I should be focusing on the hearts of the witnesses and the direction they are going (hence all the new light). However this same reasoning falls flat when examining other religions, even religions that agree with some of the tenets of the WT religion.

I have a lot of KNOWLEDGE concerning the witnesses and don't accurately APPLY such knowledge, hence why I don't agree that the Watchtower has the truth. Yet she has less knowledge about her own religion than I do, and even less knowledge about other religions but is convinced that the society 'has the truth' that no other religion has.

I can go to ANY encyclopedia to disprove Christ's birth occurring on December 25, yet those same encyclopedias cannot be trusted to disprove that Jerusalem's destruction occurring in 607 B.C.E.. After all, the Watchtower readily changes their teachings when they discover 'new truths' so why after all these years would the society hold steady to 1914 C.E.?

I've shown her Watchtower literature that explicitly state that Jesus is not her mediator and that witnesses are being baptized to an organization. However, she accuses me of taking their words out of context. Yet, the Watchtower never takes things out of context, like that scripture that says that by your death your sins will be acquitted.

Certain practices that have pagan roots are okay since their original meanings have lost their significance. Yet, this same principle does not apply to Christmas, Mother's Day, Father's Day, birthdays, etc..

I guess that is enough, but it is frustrating when I am trying to help her see the faulty reasoning that is employed by the Watchtower. Poor girl, she is really torn this holiday season as she enjoys going to light shows and helping me Christmas shop and yet feels so guilty about it. Sure, she can use my headship as a get out of jail free card to keep her 'theocratic friends' from hounding her, but when I suggest that she just simply thinks I am being 'funny.'

When I met her, even though I had my own faith, I was very tolerant of hers. There were many cases where I actually agreed with them and saw things their way. However, they were never very tolerant of my views and would never attempt to see things differently. This is especially the case where tenets of my faith were not in agreement with hers. I was opening my mind while she was shutting hers. Now that I see what it truly wrong with this religion, I am no longer considered a 'meek' and 'teachable' one as I no longer agree with something that I see as hypocritical.

"We must abstain from all blood," says my wife. "The Bible did not say that we are allowed to 'pump' it in our veins just because the Bible speaks of only of not eating it in the Old Testament. Blood transfusions did not exist then but the principle applies. We must now allow any blood to enter our bodies, no exceptions," my wife says when I try to reason that the Bible is silent on blood transfusions. "So how is it that abstaining from blood does not apply to the fractions that come from the very blood we're suppose to abstain from?" I ask sheepishly in response. *Silence*

• tec
    tec

(((Gary)))

You sound a little frustrated. I feel a little frustrated reading all that. Your wife left once before though, right? I think that in itself would make her dig her heels in that much harder - because she probably doesn't fully trust herself. Not if she's left and come back already once before.

Tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Hypocracy sucks dude, and the JW personify hypocracy, they are the pharisees of "Christianity".

• garyneal
    garyneal
    because she probably doesn't fully trust herself.

You may be onto something there as I was talking to her last night she said that does not like the reasoning she has so she has to ignore it in favor of The Watchtower Society God's reasoning.

• wasblind
    wasblind

"So how is it that abstaining from blood does not apply to the fractions that come from the very blood we're suppose to abstain from?"

I know what you mean about contradictions Gary, On page 71 in the Reasoning from the Scriptures book it states:

"There the eating of blood is equated to idolatry and fornication....."

in the next paragraph on the same page it states:

"Similarly, any food to which whole blood or even some blood fractions has been added should not be eaten."

On page 73 in the reasoning book it compares transfusion as being the same as eating blood.

Well Gary, I guess that means they can do a fraction of idolatry and a fraction of fornication now

Nike says:

The WT says: Just do it in fractions

• tec
    tec

I remember that I lost all faith in my own judgment after stopping my study. I mean, I had been so SURE... how could I ever trust myself again, even if I am so SURE again?

Your wife has left, returned, and if she has doubts again, why trust herself not to want to return a second time if she leaves yet again? I can only think that if I were in her shoes, I would be doing the same: ignoring my untrustworthy/fickle thoughts and feelings. However, Gary... I believe that eventually, after I got over the fear of being wrong again (and again) I would open my eyes. I think the best thing you could do is to show her that she need only trust Christ and God - so she is not feeling so alone if this happens. Perhaps find and keep in mind some of those scriptures. Just putting my life in God's hands made me feel immensely better... because I trusted Him to lead me.

Tammy

• watson
    watson

I can go to ANY encyclopedia to disprove Christ's birth occurring on December 25, yet those same encyclopedias cannot be trusted to disprove that Jerusalem's destruction occurring in 607 B.C.E.. After all, the Watchtower readily changes their teachings when they discover 'new truths' so why after all these years would the society hold steady to 1914 C.E.?

Really like this one.

• Curtains
    Curtains

I care about contradictions but like you I know my mate does not. My conclusion is that some people like living under a theocratic style set up that makes strong assertions about being in the truth and are prepared to ignore contradictions to perpetuate that sort of lifestyle.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Hey there, Gary. I think sometimes you and I are kindred spirits (insofar as our life's greatest challenge is the same). There are no contradictions. It is only that your understanding of things is not as advanced as a Jehovah's Witness. Things that appear to be contradictions are either simply not contradictions at all or are dichotomies, maybe. Except your half of the dichotomy is always wrong. That's all. Those things you're having trouble with, they're sort of like alexandrite stones that change colour depending on the kind of light shone on them. You just don't use the right kind of light, you see. You need Watchtower Light in order to understand. If you don't use Watchtower Light then you'll see those things you're talking about as contradictions but the real contradiction is only in your mind. See? Every once in awhile Watchtower Light changes. That's ok, because all it does is change the coloration of the thing a little. It's still the same, though. Just like the alexandrite stone. It's just that the light is different, not the thing itself. See? Clear now? Glad I could clear that up for you.

http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters/faq/why-does-alexandrite-appear-to-change-color-in-sunlight-and-artificial-light.html

• Heaven
    Heaven

"Similarly, any food to which whole blood or even some blood fractions has been added should not be eaten."

Then JW mothers should never breast feed their babies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit