I found a letter that we got from Bethel when we left, it clearly says publishing plant operations.

by life is to short 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Heartbreaking. Thank you for sharing... but wow. It hurts to even hear it.

So sorry about the Social Security "zero" years... and I find it interesting that they suggest you apply for government assistance. Stunning, really.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Moshe-I never wanted another religion after I left Judaism. I'd say that besides the paradise hope it was the society's huge publishing operation that fascinated me and kept me interested and active as a witness! They are a major printing organization whose product happens to be Bibles and bible-based literature. When I became a jw and my family disowned me I tried explaining to them that I was not joining another religion. Bethel was a fantastic, huge printing operation! So it was no shock at all to me how "unreligious" Bethel was! I was glad! I did not want a religion and for most of my time in"the truth" I did not think of it as being in a religion. As years when on and Bethel started downsizing/consolidating the printing operations I became less and less interested in meetings and being a witness as it began to appear more and more religious-exactly what I did not want.

I did not apply for bethel service as the bethel meeting at the 1978 IC made it very clear to me what life there would be like. But I loved visiting and seeing what was new over the years in the printery. Aside from foolishly believing it was "God's Organization" I knew clearly that bethel was a publishing company and was interested in it for that very reason.

I do feel bad however for bethelites who served there for so many years and then were asked to leave without any kind of assistance being offered to them directly by the society. But at that 1978 bethel meeting the speaker made it clear you recieve no salary or pension and you are there as a volunteer. You get nothing when you leave other than your personal belongings. And yes, I was told about the electicity metre they put in your room to measure the cost of the electricity you use for your air conditioner and that you are responsible to repay the society for that cost. It is rediculous they make bethelites pay for air conditioning.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I got a similar letter for the work i did at bethel. It was written w the intent that it be used as a job reference. Naturally, the religious aspect would be toned down, or kept out. I had/have no problem w that.

S

• life is to short
    life is to short

I did have a problem with it not saying anything about Jehovah or what I was doing there. I did have to use the letter to get jobs as how else do you explain why there was this three year gap in your work history.

The one job I used it on and I actually got the job because of the letter, I had to explain what Bethel was, why I went there ect. At the time I still really believed it was the truth so explaining to my future boss about Bethel did not bother me plus it helped me to explain why I would not do holidays and needed time off, etc for the religion. My boss was cool and thought it was neat that I would give my time and life to something I believed in to deeply.

But if this was really and truly the truth and Jehovah wants everyone to known so he will not have to kill them why would not Bethel of all places use every means it has to spread the news that the end of this system is so close and it means everyone life to get into the Ark.

LITS

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

LITS, there is a time and a place for everything. I think that's in the Bible some where.

I agree with Satanus, its a reference letter for job seeking, not a proselytizing tool. Actually I am impressed they were thoughtful enough to provide something like this, this is the first I have ever heard of it.

Now charging the Bethelites for A/C, that's astounding. Or telling them to apply for government assistance. Classy.

No Apologies

• Satanus
    Satanus

I believe that i asked for it. It wasn't something that was offered to me.

S

• AGuest
    AGuest

Greetings LITS and peace to you! You could make a copy of the letter and "redact" your name/address info by blacking/whiting it out (and any other info that you don't want public) and then posting a copy of that. Then your original stays intact. Not that you have to or should - just a suggestion in case you want to...

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• cult classic
    cult classic

LITS - I totally know where you're coming from. After all the talk in entrant's school about how Bethel is your home, don't leave without a good reason, work whole souled while serving here... As soon as you turn in your exit notice you get a packet which basically instructs you on how to schlep around for government aid. I experienced some disillusionment b/c special full time service had been touted as the best way to spend your life...... NOT! It was after all that just a publishing company. And we have the letterhead and forms to prove it!

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

So do they turn in any Social Security for the people that work there? Any benefits? Medical? Anything?

If not how do they get away with it?

Snoozy

• factfinder
    factfinder

Bethelites are part of a special order of full time servents who take a vow of poverty. No social security. medical only while they are serving at bethel. once they leave bethel they get nothing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit