1970s sydney international convention questions

by Aussie Oz 13 Replies latest jw friends

• penny2
    penny2

Sydney, December 1973. We drove over from Adelaide, a trip which took a couple of days.

Before the convention there were rumours going around in the local congregations that Armageddon could start during the convention. The 1975 hype was still going strong and the thought was that the "end" would come by October 1975 at the latest, so this seemed a likely time. When the bomb scare happened, there was a lot of expectation in the air.

• smiddy
    smiddy

My wife, I,and my 2 boys set off by car from brisbane,along with a few other carloads of jw`s to randwick rc,,but for the life of me I cant remember much about it nor what year it was.

smiddy

• etna
    etna

The Kingdom Hall that was bombed was Casula in west of Sydney. One person died and some injured. I can remember them saying that the one who died was only just studying(like it was alright he died and not a "true" witness). The hospital liason "brothers" went to Liverpool hospital to make sure no blood was given. Arseholes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Etna

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I knew Peter, who wrote the Awake! article about it.

My lot reckoned it was a sure sign that Armageddon was just around the corner.

Still waiting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit